• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sawduster
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cedar Park, TX, USA.

A few Projects done during my absence

Cabinet man said I should post some of the stuff I've done over the last while, so here goes,

Here's a pulpit lecturn I made for our Church. The rails holding the panels in the front were steam bent, my first attempt at that. Cut the tenons and the grooves for the panels prior to bending.

Made this box to hold some of my machinest instruments and my good combo squares.

With the lid open and tray visible.

And with the tray removed.

Hand cut secret mitered dovetails for the corners.

Here's a birds eye maple and walnut chess box.

A gateleg drop leaf table of walnut.

and a bunch of shadow boxes I made for some troops serving in Iraq.

I got some curly pecan from a mill near Huntsville, TX and made this table from some of it. The front of the skirt is a bent lamination.

and made this cabinet from more of the pecan. The doors a coopered. I added a few accents of mesquite for the knobs and breadboard ends on these last two pieces.
    Jerry

\"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.\"
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

http://www.sawdustersplace.com
  • bmyers
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Fishkill, NY
    • bt 3100

Nice work! I really like that curved entry table. Gonna have to put one of those on my list.. Thanks for sharing.

Bill
    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• jking
      • May 2003
      • Des Moines, IA.
      • BT3100

Nice job on all of them. Were the shadow boxes something you did through your local service branch?

Comment

• Sawduster
        Established Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cedar Park, TX, USA.

Originally posted by jking
        Nice job on all of them. Were the shadow boxes something you did through your local service branch?
        Actually, a Colonel in the unit over in Iraq posted on another WWing forum asking for someone willing to take on a commission job to make some plaques to be given to some of their soldiers. I responded and offered to do the work for my cost of materials and shipping. Discussing the details of what they wanted I determined that material wise, I could make the shadow boxes for the same material costs as plaques. Including $10 for shipping, I had around $21 in each one, and he sent me an extra of each of the items inside, including the Soviet bayonet and an engraved brass plate with my name to make one for myself. The wood is cherry and I used that clear plastic for the "glass".
        Jerry

\"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.\"
        ~ Thomas Paine ~

Comment

• Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

Nice stuff, Jerry. I may have to pester you down the road on the steam bending.

Comment

• oakchas
            Established Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Jefferson City, TN, USA
            • BT3000

very nice! all of it wonderful... I hope to do as well on casework someday.

Love the curved fronts

Comment

• TheRic
              • Jun 2004
              • West Central Ohio
              • bt3100

Nice work on all the projects. I can tell you have been busy. I like the drop leaf table the best.
              Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Nice work Jerry. Your craftsmanship shows. So, no tailed tools on these? I like the "secret mitered dovetails", they are cool. Too bad they won't show. Use see through wood next time.

Comment

• Sawduster
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Cedar Park, TX, USA.

Tailed apprentices were used as needed. I do most of the joinery by hand, DTs, M&Ts, etc. I'll have to see if I can track down someof that see-through wood.

In the olden days, very much of the joinery was hidden. Looking at drawers of very old pieces you will see a large variance in cleanness of the DTs, for instance. They were there for the strength of the joinery. While an occassional DT might be seen on the outside of a case, much of the work like that is covered up.

The drop leaf table is one of my favorites, also. One of the few pieces I've made using someone else's plans. This one was from a collection of plans made from original pieces from earlier times that Tools for Working Wood carries. The plans themselves are minimal in nature with a pattern for the cabriole legs and mostly just drawings with measurements. I did the rule joint (or Table Joint as it is sometimes called) with a matched pair of vintage wooden table joint planes. I also happened upon some air dried walnut that I used for the table. Had to buy some store bought for the thicker pieces for the legs, so the color is not as good on the legs as the other pieces.
                  Jerry

~ Thomas Paine ~

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I really like that pecan table....is it your design?
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• John Hunter
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                      • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
                      John Hunter

Comment

• Sawduster
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Cedar Park, TX, USA.

Originally posted by Dustmight
                        I really like that pecan table....is it your design?
                        It is my take on a fairly classic piece. Many of the pieces I've done recently have started off as wanting to try a technique I hadn't done before. I had done another piece with a smaller laminated bend but I wanted to try a larger one and add in a drawer whose front grain matched. I fiddled around for a bit and came up with that idea.

Our Church just recently finished our building and I volunteered to make the pulpit. That gave me a chance to try out steam bending.
                        Jerry

~ Thomas Paine ~

Comment

• mater
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • SC, USA.

It looks like you have been busy. That is some very nice work.
                          Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• bigstick509
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Macomb, MI, USA.
                            • BT3100

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Scot
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Feb 2006
                              • Ottawa, Canada
                              • Ryobi

Great work and a wide range of designs. I want the gateleg table
                              Art

Comment

Working...