• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Ryobi DP table, carbide fly cutter

I probably have one of the few Ryobi WDP1850's (a.k.a. "wood drilling systems") ever sold. You just don't run into many of these. I like mine. It has a constantly variable speed, and the VersaTable and fence are handy.

The original table insert on the VersaTable was a 12" x 22" piece of MDF. It was clearly an afterthought. It just sat in a channel and was inclined to flex a little bit.

I finally decided to upgrade to a piece of BB plywood. I included some t-slots for additional fence/hold-down options, a circular MDF insert that I can rotate for fresh backing, and I came up w/ a more secure means to attach it to the VersaTable than gravity (no offense to the big guy upstairs).

But the real find was the carbide-tipped lathe bits I purchased for my fly cutter. The fly cutter originally came with a HSS bit which overheats and dulls very easily. I purchased the lathe bits about 1/2 year ago, and never tried them until now.

Wow, do they cut nicely! Made quick work out of cutting the hole in the BB plywood. And I have 15 carbide cutting edges (should last a lifetime!).

If you have a fly cutter, you may want to investiate the carbide-tipped lathe tools.

Attached Files
  • lrogers
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Mobile, AL. USA.
    • BT3000

That's a neat looking piece of equipment.
    Larry R. Rogers
    The Samurai Wood Butcher
    http://splash54.multiply.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
      • Dec 2006
      • hagerstown, md

That's a interesting drill press mate, I'm going to keep an eye out for one. Nce tip about the lathe bits as well. I take it the lathe bits are for a metal lathe?
      パトリック
      daiku woodworking
      ^deshi^
      neoshed

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Hey, I like that round sacrificial insert ... great idea. For the past few years I've been getting by with a very quick-and-dirty DP table that I cobbled together in about a half-hour; it has a square insert that I can either rotate 90* and/or flip over to give me eight fresh positions for the bit to land. Your round insert provides many more options. I'm going to steal that idea when I build my new DP table, RSN ...

Cool tool, too. First time I've ever seen or heard of one of these.
        Larry

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
          • Dec 2006
          • hagerstown, md

I've been trying to find info on that model. Lots of parts listed for it and a ridgid model so I'm assuming they were similar. No luck finding the actual DP though
          パトリック
          daiku woodworking
          ^deshi^
          neoshed

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

Originally posted by siliconbauhaus
            I've been trying to find info on that model. Lots of parts listed for it and a ridgid model so I'm assuming they were similar. No luck finding the actual DP though
            I think it was Ryobi's black sheep. I ordered it probably seven years ago from some outfit in Minnesota. They said, at the time, that they didn't have any in stock and it would be a 3-4 week backorder. It arrived two days later. :-)

My previous DP had been a 10 or 12" bench model. A larger Cummins/Cummings (whatever?). It was a nice press, never gave me any trouble, but the cast iron table always seemed to be in the way for the types of things I wanted to do with wood. And I hated changing speeds via the belt.

If you even find a used one at a good price, I'd buy it.

Oh, and mine was kinda expensive because I bought it new. I recall it being around $350.

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Originally posted by LarryG
              Hey, I like that round sacrificial insert ... great idea. For the past few years I've been getting by with a very quick-and-dirty DP table that I cobbled together in about a half-hour; it has a square insert that I can either rotate 90* and/or flip over to give me eight fresh positions for the bit to land. Your round insert provides many more options. I'm going to steal that idea when I build my new DP table, RSN ...

Cool tool, too. First time I've ever seen or heard of one of these.
              I'm certainly not the first to think of a round insert. And I had considered using a square one (because they are easier to make additional ones down the road). But then I couldn't have used the fly cutter. :-)

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

That's a interesting drill press mate, I'm going to keep an eye out for one. Nce tip about the lathe bits as well. I take it the lathe bits are for a metal lathe?
                Yes, I believe the lathe bits are intended for metal. I inspected the one I used to cut that hole more closely this morning and it is as sharp as it was when I started and has not discolored. Had I tried that w/ the HSS bit, it would have needed sharpening after that one hole.

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                  • Dec 2006
                  • hagerstown, md

Cool....I think I have some lather cutters knocking around in the garage.

Ryobi is a funny company...mostly average but every once in a while a gem comes out. Goes off in search of the ryobi.
                  パトリック
                  daiku woodworking
                  ^deshi^
                  neoshed

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

That round insert is a great idea. Gonna have to put one on mine. Right now I just use a sacrificial board.
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Cool....I think I have some lather cutters knocking around in the garage.

Ryobi is a funny company...mostly average but every once in a while a gem comes out. Goes off in search of the ryobi.
                      They haven't sold that one (WDP1850) in quite a few years. 7-8 years ago at least - I think there were a few kicking around when I got into WW around 1999.
                      I think you'll only find them in used markets. And they didn't make lots and lots of them (like BT3s which were made for 15 years), so they'll be kind scarce. Don't see any on eBay (including completed listings for 30 days)
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

Very cool. Interesting setup.

Ed
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• John Hunter
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                          • BT3000 & BT3100

Nice layout.
                          John Hunter

Comment

Working...