• Show
Clear All
  • onedash
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Maryland
    • Craftsman 22124

bubinga table in progress

Here is the top. Its going to be a desk not a table...Dont know how to change the title either...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by onedash; 01-07-2007, 07:09 PM.
    YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.
  • onedash
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Maryland
    • Craftsman 22124

Panels in progress

Here is a panel. With flash and without flash. I made two of these. They will be the outsides of the desk.
    The pics dont do the wood justice though either way. closer without flash though.
    Attached Files

Comment

• onedash
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2005
      • Maryland
      • Craftsman 22124

The bits that made it easy and some of the work being done.
      The panels were burning a little on the end grain so I did 4 passes. THe fourth was just enough to clean up everything.
      Attached Files

Comment

• boblon
        • Aug 2003
        • Florida, USA.

Looks like that's going to be one heckuva nice looking desk.

Where did you ever find Bubinga plywood BTW? (Or did you make it yourself?)

BobL.
        "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• onedash
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Maryland
          • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by boblon
          Where did you ever find Bubinga plywood BTW? (Or did you make it yourself?)

BobL.
          I glued it on. It was from 5/4 QS. I got three of them out of it. If I was a little better I probably could have got 4. I had to rip it to 8 inches since that is my resaw capacity.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Looking good, so far.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• mater
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • SC, USA.

Looks like it is going to be a nice desk. Keep up the good work.
              Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Wood_workur
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2005
                • Ohio
                • Ryobi bt3100-1

that looks great.
                Alex

Comment

• lrogers
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Mobile, AL. USA.
                  • BT3000

I want to see that one when completed!
                  Larry R. Rogers
                  The Samurai Wood Butcher
                  http://splash54.multiply.com
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• DUD
                    Royal Jester
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Looking Good. Bill
                    5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• kwgeorge
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Alvin, TX, USA.

I think it all looks very nice and should be very pretty but with that I would ask a question on the top piece you laminated the Bubinga too. It appears that you used a bit over 1/8” thick pieces of Bubinga onto a ¾” plywood substrate yes? Since the plywood is considered dimensionally stable but the Bubinga is not and granted it moves only a little with to seasonal changes it does however move, since you are not balancing the backside of the substrate are you not a bit afraid of warping later down the line on such a large surface? The reason I bring this up is I did a test not long ago with Jatoba and plywood and find it warps quite regular and it is a much smaller piece.

Ken

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by kwgeorge
                        I think it all looks very nice and should be very pretty but with that I would ask a question on the top piece you laminated the Bubinga too. It appears that you used a bit over 1/8” thick pieces of Bubinga onto a ¾” plywood substrate yes? Since the plywood is considered dimensionally stable but the Bubinga is not and granted it moves only a little with to seasonal changes it does however move, since you are not balancing the backside of the substrate are you not a bit afraid of warping later down the line on such a large surface? The reason I bring this up is I did a test not long ago with Jatoba and plywood and find it warps quite regular and it is a much smaller piece.

Ken
                        Let me echo that same concern. However, if you can "breadboard" the
                        ends, maybe you can prevent this from happening. I personally have not
                        witnessed this type of warping but I hope I never have to, so I always
                        balance my veneers. Since you used QS wood, maybe it won't be as big a
                        deal. Great looking project so far, though.

Paul

Comment

• onedash
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2005
                          • Maryland
                          • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                          Let me echo that same concern. However, if you can "breadboard" the
                          ends, maybe you can prevent this from happening. I personally have not
                          witnessed this type of warping but I hope I never have to, so I always
                          balance my veneers. Since you used QS wood, maybe it won't be as big a
                          deal. Great looking project so far, though.

Paul
                          What you talkin bout willis???? I sure hope not....I do love my breadboard edges but wasn't planning to on this. I will rethink that. Not sure how that would help though with what you both described since the tennon would be in the plywood instead of the bubinga.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by onedash
                            What you talkin bout willis???? I sure hope not....I do love my breadboard edges but wasn't planning to on this. I will rethink that. Not sure how that would help though with what you both described since the tennon would be in the plywood instead of the bubinga.
                            The potential warping of the bubinga will cause the plywood underneath to do
                            do the same. Because the bubinga shouldn't delaminate from the plywood, it
                            doesn't matter that the tenon is only in the plywood. The breadboard will help
                            hold it flat. However, since you used QS bubinga, luck is on your side that any
                            warping will be minimal.

Comment

• onedash
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2005
                              • Maryland
                              • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                              The potential warping of the bubinga will cause the plywood underneath to do
                              do the same. Because the bubinga shouldn't delaminate from the plywood, it
                              doesn't matter that the tenon is only in the plywood. The breadboard will help
                              hold it flat. However, since you used QS bubinga, luck is on your side that any
                              warping will be minimal.

I guess I will have breadboard edges then. I guess it would be easier than miters anyway. On my kitchen table I made the tennon on the table the entire length minus a couple inches and cut a few slots in it. And a mortise along the entire lenght of the breadboard. Is that the method that would best prevent any warping on this?
                              I have a mortising machine and have a better idea of how to use my router to cut the tennon. (make a long base to keep it steady) Plus this is smaller so I can do it on my Table saw which is flat and should make it easier (I hope).

This will definately slow me down a little.

Comment

Working...