• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

Finally finished this one;

Well I finally finished this piece, I think I have been working on it on and off for a couple of months now. This particular one changed designs 3 times since I started it but I talked about that in a message some time ago.

Here is an overall view of what I settled on for a design in the end. 4 different woods were used in this piece and they were Madrone Burl, Japanese Beech, Beech, Bloodwood. (Also the Baltic Birch plywood substrate) The dimensions are 22-1/4” wide by 17-1/4” deep by 24” tall.

When I decided to make this table more of a rectangular shape I wanted to keep the lines simple and focus attention to the top but still I wanted the legs to add interest to the piece so I tapered them on all sides but increased the size of the taper on the two inside sections of the legs. (Sorry about the back flash in the picture)

This picture shows a few things about this piece. The main joinery on the legs and apron are Mortise and Loose Tenon. The top is assembled with splines surrounding the inside substrate. I added the Bloodwood Spline Miters for more decoration than anything else. Since the top of this piece is so dramatic and the bottom is simple in form I decided to decorate it with Bloodwood also. Each leg is wrapped with a 1/8” wide Bloodwood inlay 2” from the top and then they are scraped flat to the surface and since they are mitered no end grain is exposed. I then applied 1/8” Bloodwood strips to the bottom of the apron pieces so it has the illusion of the Bloodwood wrapping seamlessly around the base. I also like this picture because it shows the smoothness I achieved with the finish on the top. (Except for the piece of dust) I really spent a lot of time on the top of this table. (Like weeks!)

And then finaly the top! Again this is Madrone Burl that is surrounded by a 1/8” Bloodwood border and then framed in Beech. The bottom of the top that you cant see is veneered with Japanese Beech.

Well that’s it for this one. My intention when I built it was to use it as my TV tray but it sounds like that idea has been overruled by the wife. (Life threatening comments were made!) So I guess she has a plan for it.

Thanks for having a look and tell me what you think, you won’t hurt my feelings.

Ken
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

Ken it's beautiful, very classy.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

Perfect proportions, partiuclarly the nicely tapered legs. Beautiful detail on the bloodwood accents. And what can be said about that top?!

Wonderful piece.

JR
      JR

Comment

• GeekMom
        • Dec 2004
        • Bonney Lake, WA.
        • Shopsmith Mark V

WOW! Beautiful craftsmanship and detail. I like the detail around the top of the legs and along the bottom of the apron and the splines. Extra-nice touch. BTW, you can tell your wife that I completely agree with her on not cutting the design from around the burl! And TV tray? NO WAY!! Great job, Ken.
        Karen
        <><

Comment

• Tamarack
          Established Member
          • Oct 2003
          • Speedwell, TN USA
          • BT3100

I really like your use of the bloodwood, I am stunned by the combination! Very, very classy.

Paul

Comment

• newbie2wood
            Established Member
            • Apr 2004
            • NJ, USA.

Clean lines, functional, and elegant.

Very nice.
            ________
            Bubbler pipe
            Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 05:14 AM.

Comment

• zintk
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2005
              • Kenosha, WI, USA.

Beutiful piece!! It would be a shame to have to place anything on it and hide that gorgeous top.

Nice job!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

nice piece, Ken, I really like the bloodwood highlight/accents - great use of contrasts.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• John Hunter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                  • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice!
                  John Hunter

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

Fantastic, Ken! The bookmatched top is beautiful.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• lcm1947
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Austin, Texas
                      • BT 3100-1

That is truely beautiful! I love that design and the materials used match perfect. I won't even mention that finish job although job sure isn't the right word to use when referring to that piece of art. Well, well done. Thanks for showing it and yeah I bet the wife puts to it better use then a snack tray. You use something like that as a snack table? Some people just shouldn't be allowed to create art pieces.
                      May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• drumpriest
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                        • Powermatic PM 2000

David Marks would be proud. Nicely done! I love the spline miters and the madrone top. I've personally now got a TON of burl veneers waiting for me to do something 1/2 as nice with them.
                        Keith Z. Leonard
                        Go Steelers!

Comment

• lrogers
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Mobile, AL. USA.
                          • BT3000

The beauty is in the details. I love the splines and accents made with the bloodwood.
                          Larry R. Rogers
                          The Samurai Wood Butcher
                          http://splash54.multiply.com
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• mater
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • SC, USA.

Ken it is beautiful. Truly a show piece.
                            Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• kwgeorge
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Alvin, TX, USA.

Well thanks everyone for the nice words on this table.

Karen; See I thought it would be nice to have a pretty TV tray versus the ugly thing that I have now! But noooo, apparently there is a limit on how good it can look and still serve that purpose. So now I am thinking about another design and right now I am thinking Quilted Bubinga for the top.

Keith; David Marks has been a great influence on me and it is really sad that the show is not on anymore even though it is better for him. Even though the top was made first, when considering what to do with the bottom I used David’s episode #206 as inspiration on the bottom section of this table. Of course just like me I had to alter almost everything about it but hey in the end that’s what makes it mine!

Ken

Comment

Working...