• Show
Clear All
  • bonnerj
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2023
    • BT3000

Adjusting rail locking levers on SMT

Hi all,

My BT3000 came without an SMT, so I picked one up from eBay. I'm having an issue with the locking levers not keeping the SMT stationary. I scoured the FAQ, the manual, and the forum here, but the closest I came to some guidance is a reference to some set screws that supposedly can be used to adjust the levers. However, it's not clear to me how they work.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks!

Joe
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Offhand, it is something I never had to do in 20+ years of owning the saw.
    Mine locked down fine from the get-go.
    I'll look later when I get to the shop and see if anything obvious occurs to me.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Took a look.
      Pardon the dust and the upside down photo, this is the spare SMT I have on a shelf I didn't want to pull down because its up high and there's a box sitting on it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	697.2 KB ID:	858135
      The arrow shows the set screw on the opposite side of the clamp. Looks like this can be used to close or open the gap that fits over the rail by moving the "U" shaped silver rail forwards and backwards. The eccentric of the clamp closes the gap to firmly clamp, but you can adjust the tightness and throw of the clamp with the set screw; looks like its a Allen head set screw. All the fasteners on the original BT3 were SAE (inch, not metric).
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-27-2024, 01:30 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• bonnerj
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2023
        • BT3000

Thank you. I'll tinker with that and let you know how it goes.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by bonnerj
          Thank you. I'll tinker with that and let you know how it goes.
          Looking at it some more, I think I figured out how it works.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	3 Size:	286.7 KB ID:	858138
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	3 Size:	124.2 KB ID:	858139
          There are 8 screws #17 that fasten the holder plates 16 and the miter base 14 to the front and rear guide bars (15).
          If you loosen the #17 screws then you can use the 10-24 set screws (29) to push the guide bar tighter or less tight to your liking then tighten the 8 screws (17) to lock everything together.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-27-2024, 07:17 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• bonnerj
            bonnerj commented
            Editing a comment
            This is great. Thanks again!
        • Black walnut
          Administrator
          • Aug 2015
          • BT3K

Once you have them set just right make sure to follow the instructions for sliding table adjustments, base first then top. If the base is skewed in reference to the plane of the blade you will never get the top adjusted correctly.
          just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

Working...