• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Small T-nut for the left side of BT3 rip fence or front of miter fence

I have found a perfect T-nut for the front of the BT3 miter fence and for the left side of the rip fence (same extrusion used both places)

Its actually a weld nut, but fits the T-slot described above.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	weld nut.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.8 KB ID:	857152
    Weld Nut: #10-24 Thread, Tab, 1/32 in Base Ht, 3/8 in Base Wd, 5/8 in Base Lg, Steel, 50 PK
    Item 1LAJ3 Mfr. Model 1LAJ3​ (WW Graingers)

The fence slot is .400" high and .200 deep. The T-nuts are 0.375" high so they fit nicely with an adequate but not sloppy clearance. About .1" thick and the protrusion fits in the slot on the fence. The hole is threaded 10-24 a common screw size (10-32 is also common but this is 10-24).
    The closed back of the slot means that the screw length is limited.
    I use it for attaching a sacrificial rip fence face or a tall fence or a long rip fence. and for the miter fence you can attach a long miter fence with stops.
    If you use a 3/4" thick 1x2 or 1x3 or 1x4 board then a counter sunk 3/4 or even 1/2" screw will work nicely.
    A countersink of 1/2" depth and a 1/2" screw will bury the head in the fence out of the way. Best to try and adjust deeper if needed.
    Final note, I drill the hole for the bolt and nut 15/16ths up from the bottom of the fence being installed. This leaves 1/16th clearance so the fence does not drag.

I bought a pack of 50 of these which is way more than I need, but they're kind of hard to find except at the specialty industrial stores and shipping tends to be high.
    If you want 2 or 4 of these, drop me a PM with your address and I'll mail you some in the interest of promoting the saw.
    ​A pair of these nuts should easily hold a auxiliary fence as I described above.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-09-2023, 11:03 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Gallery of pictures attached - click on the images for full size picture

T-nuts and some 10-24 x 1/2" screws I had

Click image for larger version  Name:	PB300044.jpg Views:	13 Size:	126.1 KB ID:	857157

T-nut backside

Click image for larger version  Name:	PB300042.jpg Views:	12 Size:	87.2 KB ID:	857159

Screw 1/2" long countersunk 1/2"
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PB300043.jpg Views:	13 Size:	75.8 KB ID:	857155

End-on view of T-nut entering rip fence; note I have one of the metal roller holder replacing the original roller holder. I found it was easiest to take the rip fence off the saw to install the T-nut rather than install in position where you were kind of blindly feeling for the slot.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PB300041.jpg Views:	13 Size:	117.7 KB ID:	857156

Mounted sacrificial fence
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PB300037.jpg Views:	13 Size:	182.3 KB ID:	857158
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-30-2023, 08:57 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	857190
      At the hardware store today I picked up these 10-24 x 3/4" set screws. With a spot of super glue (or even blue loctite) they will turn into true T-bolts.
      This will be much easier to thread into the slot in the fence then locate the mounting holes in the auxiliary fence over the jutting out stud. A half inch deep recess maybe 3/4" or 1" diameter will allow me to put a 10-24 nut over it easily.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-05-2023, 01:54 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

After all these years of holding nuts and bolts against a grinding wheel! Nice find.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• billysmith
          Handtools only
          • Dec 2023

Bolts are items that are not needed when needed and are not needed when needed

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
            commented
            Editing a comment
            Could you claify what you mean by that? Bolts are not needed when needed and are not needed when needed? That doesn't make much sense.
        • dirtmover
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2005
          • Ottawa, ON, Canada.

Doesn't a standard 2020 profile t-nut fit that slot?

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dirtmover
            Doesn't a standard 2020 profile t-nut fit that slot?
            Not familiar with 2020 nuts, seems to be metric, I don't want to be mixing metric stuff in my shop.

Can you recommend a 2020 nut that fits the slot:

The fence slot is .400" high and .200 deep. The slot itself is 0.270" wide.
            The T-nuts are 0.375" high so they fit nicely with an adequate but not sloppy clearance. About .1" thick and the protrusion fits in the slot on the fence. The hole is threaded 10-24 a common ANSI screw size (10-32 is also common but this is 10-24).
            The closed back of the slot means that the screw length is limited.

Click image for larger version  Name:	weld nut.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.8 KB ID:	857152
            Weld Nut: #10-24 Thread, Tab, 1/32 in Base Ht, 3/8 in Base Wd, 5/8 in Base Lg, Steel, 50 PK
            Item 1LAJ3 Mfr. Model 1LAJ3​ (WW Graingers)​
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-26-2023, 10:17 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dirtmover
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2005
              • Ottawa, ON, Canada.

Originally posted by LCHIEN

Not familiar with 2020 nuts, seems to be metric, I don't want to be mixing metric stuff in my shop.
              You're absolutely correct, they won't work for you because they're metric. For reference these are the dimensions. Unless I'm missing something they look like a perfect fit for that slot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	159
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	857409

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dirtmover

You're absolutely correct, they won't work for you because they're metric. For reference these are the dimensions. Unless I'm missing something they look like a perfect fit for that slot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	200.1 KB ID:	857409
                Ah, I see designed to fit these:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	69.3 KB ID:	857411
                And it does look like it will fit the small BT3000 slot. available tapped for M3, 4, 5 or 6.
                Another alternative, thanks. These are fairly cheap and widely available used for making DIY laser and 3D printer frames
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-28-2023, 12:48 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• pagimo6889
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2024

It's always a bit tricky finding the right T-nuts for the BT3 rip fence, but these seem like a solid fit. I appreciate the detailed info on the dimensions and usage – super helpful.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

offer still stands if you want a couple or 4, I have some left over.

Name:	image.png
Views:	131
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	857723

just PM me your mailing address.
                    You can provide your own 10-24 x 3/4" screws or studs (10-24 x 3/4" set screw is easy to find at local hardware stores)
                    to use with 1x lumber fences.
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-24-2024, 04:12 AM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dirtmover
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Ottawa, ON, Canada.

BTW, this is the 2020 nut and installed on the cross slide fence. They're an almost perfect fit for that slot and offer another option. They have the advantage of being standardized and probably more globally available than a weld nut that just happens to fit.

Name:	IMG_20240217_132244218.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	858055Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240217_132206011.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	858056

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        LCHIEN commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That solution absolutely works. Standard holes in the 2020 nuts are tapped for M3, M4, M5 or M6. So you need metric hardware for bolts or studs.
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-22-2024, 02:26 AM.
                    Working...