• Show
Clear All
  • HammerToeNH
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2018
    • Concord, New Hampshire
    • BT3100

Fence Handle Question

I finally had the chance to make some saw dust the other day with my "new to me" BT3100. One thing that I noticed was the fence handle would not stay in the up position but fall to the lower position; Is this normal? I still need to push down to lock iit down, but I thought the handle would remain up.

I also noticed there was some friction when sliding but I am just going to try and clean the rails with a damp cloth to remove any debris that may be in there. There are a few nicks in the front rail and I will more than likely file those gently down.
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I've certainly not put my BT through the hours that many of the other members most likely have; but I've used it extensively and absolutely love this table saw. Regarding the fence handle, when in the "up" position it moves slightly, maybe about four or five degrees, then hits a stop of sorts. To lock it down, I push past the stop, but even then it only moves about another 15 or so degrees. While it will push down to a horizontal position, I've never really had to do that to firmly lock the fence in position. Probably just not enough wear on it yet to require a full horizontal push.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• HammerToeNH
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2018
      • Concord, New Hampshire
      • BT3100

Originally posted by cwsmith
      I've certainly not put my BT through the hours that many of the other members most likely have; but I've used it extensively and absolutely love this table saw. Regarding the fence handle, when in the "up" position it moves slightly, maybe about four or five degrees, then hits a stop of sorts. To lock it down, I push past the stop, but even then it only moves about another 15 or so degrees. While it will push down to a horizontal position, I've never really had to do that to firmly lock the fence in position. Probably just not enough wear on it yet to require a full horizontal push.

CWS

Not sure I was exactly clear...when not in the locked position does the handle remain up or just in a down resting postion?

Comment

• cwsmith
        cwsmith commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine remains up! Seems like there is some resistance that keeps it there, almost like a cam or notch that I have to over ride in order to push it down to lock.

CWS
    • leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Mine remains . . . Down in the resting position.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Mine falls down, I usually hold it up when trying to move the fence.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Carlos
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Same happens with the Biesmeyer on my Unisaw. I glued a thin round magnet to the handle so it sticks to the steel fence when I put it up. Maybe you can do something similar to the BT?

Comment

• HammerToeNH
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2018
            • Concord, New Hampshire
            • BT3100

I think I may have found the issue with the handle. I disassembled the fence today to paint the fence base and noticed that rubber plug is missing from the eccentric roller. I guess it is the following:

Comment

Working...