X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Legionnaire
    Handtools only
    • Oct 2018

Blade Assembly Question

I bought a blade guard off eBay that said it was a 3000/3100 blade guard assembly. I didn't look too hard and when I got it today I realized it only has one slot in the bottom for the bolts. Then I went to put it on and saw the saw had two. Does this one actually fit?

Here is a photo: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fNDKRVKX7w6dEDVZA

Thanks any info would be super appreciated!
    Kinda realizing I should have just put money towards a shark guard haha.
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Both of the blade guards for my BT3000 & BT3100 have slots for two bolts. Both saws are early production versions. Your picture looks like yours has been modified to remove the forward slot/tang. I'd bet someone decided that they only needed one bolt to properly secure the guard in place and cut/ground the front tang off. I can't imagine why you would go to the trouble to do that since the guard rests on the bolts when installed. Since the guard is held in place with a clamping plate and two nuts, it might still work, but I'd still use two nuts and the clamping plate to secure the guard. I took the BT3100 guard apart, cut the central plate down to match the height of the saw blade, and made it a riving knife for my BT3000.
    Last edited by Jim Frye; 10-05-2018, 05:46 PM.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Legionnaire
      Handtools only
      • Oct 2018

It seems kind of crazy that someone would have grounded all that off. Here is a better side by side comparison:

It looks like they are very different shapes, the guy said he had it mounted on a BT3000, tempted to return it because it just doesn't seem like the actual product and bite the bullet and buy the Shark Guard. I just imagine if I stick this one in with one bolt it's gonna fall forward onto the blade.

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Honestly I think you got the wrong part, whether he used it on a BT3x or not.

I have a stock one I'll sell for $50 shipped. But I highly recommend the Shark Guard which is what I use.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

That's definitelty not the bade guard sold with the saws. Might fit but looks like its missing the riving knife part and as you said doesn't have the two slot mount.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mpc
            • Feb 2005
            • Cypress, CA, USA.
            • BT3000 orig 13amp model

That looks more like the ryobi BTS10 guard assembly. It had a single slot mount.

mpc

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

MPC,

I bet your are right about that being the guard for a BTS 10. I just went out and checked my BTS-21 and my guard is similar, although a bit more robust. The mobile platform guards are made with a single slot that slips over a stud with washer and wingnut for easy removal and fitting. A lower pin on the mounting area keeps it from tilting.

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • BT3100

There's a BTS10 guard on eBay and it's different still, but more similar to yours than the correct BT3100 guard. Here's a link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RYOBI-10-TA...cAAOSwcR9buoAF

It's also possible they had several variations. Or this could be from a different saw still.

Comment

• gsmittle
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                  • BT 3100

Originally posted by Legionnaire
                  It seems kind of crazy that someone would have grounded all that off. Here is a better side by side comparison:

It looks like they are very different shapes, the guy said he had it mounted on a BT3000, tempted to return it because it just doesn't seem like the actual product and bite the bullet and buy the Shark Guard. I just imagine if I stick this one in with one bolt it's gonna fall forward onto the blade.
                  Definitely bite the bullet. The Shark Guard is outstanding, and Lee stand behind his product. He even mailed me a new set of stickers when I lost mine.

g.
                  Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                  Bill & Ted

Comment

• tfischer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by gsmittle

Definitely bite the bullet. The Shark Guard is outstanding, and Lee stand behind his product. He even mailed me a new set of stickers when I lost mine.

g.

Haha I never did install the sticker (I only had one to begin with). I still have it somewhere, and still should if I ever find it

It's an incredible PITA to remove and reinstall the original guard, and I'm popping the Shark on and off all the time, I can't even imagine doing that.

Comment

• Carlos
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I put the sticker on my shop beer fridge.

Comment

Working...