Parting out BT3000 Keep motor, wrenches & other items as spares?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ballard770
    Established Member
    • Jan 2016
    • Washington State
    • Ryobi BT3000

Parting out BT3000 Keep motor, wrenches & other items as spares?

I am parting out a BT3000 and I have questions about keeping some of the parts/assemblies as spares

1) a set of two wrenches that I don't think I need to keep I have the larger wrench with the BT3000 I am using and the part-out unit has a large and a small wrench.
    Are there any applications where i would need either wrench that would meet or exceed the usi=e of an existing, open end, box, crescentor socket wrench?
    It looks to me that they included these two wrenches with the saw in the event that the user has absolutely no tools (or common sense?).

2) I noticed that motors are selling on ebay for $75+. Is it worth it to keep the motor and switch, cord assembly as a spare in the event that the motor on my unit fails?

3) Additionally, are there any other components that i should keep as spares (other than the spare shims I got in the parts bag)? I already have two accessory mounting tables - one is dedicated to the router mount.
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Are you talking about the blade wrenches? Not sure if you'd need spares of those unless your tools are prone to walking away. But yeah, I much prefer them to standard open wrenches as they also hold the blade arbor in place.

Having had a motor blow up on me a couple of summers ago, and paying the insane used eBay price for a new one (mine was well over $100 shipped) I'd recommend you save the motor for sure. I almost trashed my BT3100 rather than put that much more money into it (new ones are going for $400!!)

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Keep the motor for sure. that is unless you need the money. I bought a whole extra BT a long while back just to get a spare motor for just in case and parted the rest out and essentially got a motor for free :-) haven't needed it yet and will keep my fingers crossed. As much as I would love a fullsize and full power saw I just dont have the room. If and when the day comes when I pass on my BT to a new owner I hope it goes with the spare motor!
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I just dispelled the little myth that if you have a spare it will never break with my 3 spare receptecals, so yes you need to keep the spare motor. Are you going to keep the rails? They could be just for jigs or rails for a band saw rip fence.

Comment

• ballard770
          Established Member
          • Jan 2016
          • Washington State
          • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks guys,

I think that i will hang on to the motor, belt and perhaps the arbor and the raise,lower and tilt mechanism. This will work as long as I can find them when needed and figure out how to reassemble in the need pf replacing parts.

The saw i got for $100 plus about 140 mile round trip will certainly be repaid by selling the parts I don't need.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

the main need for the wrenches is not the hex end but the square end for locking the arbor. The two wrenches I think can be replaced with a 3/4" box end and a 1/2" box end. But the arbor lock I have not found a suitable replacement for that was thin enough.

My other comment on spares: If you have a spare, you will probably never need it. And, especially if you had it last week and parted it out to someone, I guarantee that within a year you will be needing that spare!
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

The other thing I would advise you keep is the switch. IIRC there is a known issue and Ryobi (or somebody) was replacing for free at one time but I dont know the details. I have been through 2 switches and have now replaced it with one of these. Much better and safer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	p_Capture044931.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	787587
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by poolhound
                The other thing I would advise you keep is the switch. IIRC there is a known issue and Ryobi (or somebody) was replacing for free at one time but I dont know the details. I have been through 2 switches and have now replaced it with one of these. Much better and safer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22577[/ATTACH]
                That's been on my list for 10 years now... the placement and size of the stock switch just doesn't seem safe.

Comment

• ballard770
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2016
                  • Washington State
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the responses and now I have more to ask.

I just bought a 2nd bt3000 as a parts saw (in addition to the original saw that I have had for over 20 years and the first 'parts saw' I got a couple of weeks ago) and it may actually become my only saw after I sell parts from the other two. The raise/tilt mechanism is the smoothest I have seen, even when my old saw was new. It has what looks like a good blade, a 15 amp motor, a miter hold down clamp and side extension table complete with long rails and hardware- The only downside is that there is no belt but I have one set in my original saw and one set in my first 'parts saw'.

Questions are:
                  1) is the 15 amp motor compatible with saw using a 13 amp motor? ie. should I keep a 13 amp motor as a spare?
                  2) are the brushes the same for both motors? Are the belts the same for both models and both motors?
                  3) I may not keep the side extension table and if I do sell it how much should I ask on ebay?
                  4) the angled shims - some have slots and some don't - are the slotted ones for the BT3100? or for the 15 amp motor? Or will they work for all units?
                  5) are there any specific parts other than the motor that I should keep as spares. There are some parts such as sheet metal panels etc that I will either list on ebay as a lot puurchase at a ridiculus low price - basically to cover shipping or just send out in the recycling bin.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ballard770
                    Thanks for the responses and now I have more to ask.

I just bought a 2nd bt3000 as a parts saw (in addition to the original saw that I have had for over 20 years and the first 'parts saw' I got a couple of weeks ago) and it may actually become my only saw after I sell parts from the other two. The raise/tilt mechanism is the smoothest I have seen, even when my old saw was new. It has what looks like a good blade, a 15 amp motor, a miter hold down clamp and side extension table complete with long rails and hardware- The only downside is that there is no belt but I have one set in my original saw and one set in my first 'parts saw'.

Questions are:
                    1) is the 15 amp motor compatible with saw using a 13 amp motor? ie. should I keep a 13 amp motor as a spare?
                    2) are the brushes the same for both motors? Are the belts the same for both models and both motors?
                    3) I may not keep the side extension table and if I do sell it how much should I ask on ebay?
                    4) the angled shims - some have slots and some don't - are the slotted ones for the BT3100? or for the 15 amp motor? Or will they work for all units?
                    5) are there any specific parts other than the motor that I should keep as spares. There are some parts such as sheet metal panels etc that I will either list on ebay as a lot puurchase at a ridiculus low price - basically to cover shipping or just send out in the recycling bin.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Lee
                    the 15A is more powerful than the 13A, most people won't notice the diff. THe motors I think are interchangeable but parts from one motor won't fit the other e.g. brushes.
                    The auxialiary table used to go for around $20-30
                    Angled shims- not sure what those are...?
                    parts to keep - the plastic parts at the back end of the rip fence all broke/cracked, crumbled after a while and I had to replace them.
                    A spare SMT would seem to be handy for fixturing, or maybe not.
                    The locking knobs for the rails, some of the miter fence parts.

Good luck
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• ajgoal
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by tfischer
                      That's been on my list for 10 years now... the placement and size of the stock switch just doesn't seem safe.
                      I need to swap out my stock switch, it's the original top on button and bottom off. The on button is loose, but I installed one of those on the left of the stand for primary on/off duties, and now leave the original switch on. The off just serves as an emergency stop.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ajgoal
                        I need to swap out my stock switch, it's the original top on button and bottom off. The on button is loose, but I installed one of those on the left of the stand for primary on/off duties, and now leave the original switch on. The off just serves as an emergency stop.
                        If you still have the original BT3000 switch with the two buttons, I think Ryobi is still replacing those for free as it was a recall item.
                        Call their 1-800 number and talk to customer service. You will need to give them the serial number and date code off the nameplate on the back (or side?)

Wayne Hill

Techtronic Industries North America, Inc.
                        (Ryobi)
                        Anderson, South Carolina
                        wayne.hill@ttigroupna.com

There were actually two switch generations replaced,
                        BT3100
                        This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.

and
                        BT3000
                        http://www.sawdustzone.org/showthrea...ch+replacement (look at post#7 in the thread)
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-09-2016, 09:40 PM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• ajgoal
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2016

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          If you still have the original BT3000 switch with the two buttons, I think Ryobi is still replacing those for free as it was a recall item.
                          Call their 1-800 number and talk to customer service.
                          Wayne Hill
                          Techtronic Industries North America, Inc.
                          (Ryobi)
                          Anderson, South Carolina
                          wayne.hill@ttigroupna.com

There were actuall two switch generations replaced,
                          BT3100
                          This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.

and
                          BT3000
                          http://www.sawdustzone.org/showthrea...ch+replacement (look at post#7 in the thread)
                          I actually have a replacement rocker switch with cover. Since I've started making adjustments/improvements to the saw (It was my dad's, I replaced an old craftsman direct drive with the BT and couldn't be happier) I've been reading more and more of the information out there. Changing out the switch is next on my list, I just have to figure out exactly what needs to be done there.

Comment

• ballard770
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2016
                            • Washington State
                            • Ryobi BT3000

To replace the switch under the recall it is necessary to provide the serial number - serial numbers ending in last 4 digits lower than 9608 are eligible for free replacement.

The recall notice is available online just check for ryobi BT3000 switch recall. The notice I have is dated March 27, 1996 but they are still honoring it as they should, since it is a safety issue.

Call 1-800-525-2579 option 2 then option 2 again.

Shouldn't take more than 10 -15 minutes to replace the switch (or 30 minutes for me - i am slow and I check and recheck

Comment

• ajgoal
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Feb 2016

Took me about 30-40 minutes last night, mostly because with the location of my saw I was working in cramped quarters, and if I found I needed a tool, I had to work my way out of where I was. Also had some issues with the switch and the socket interfering with each other's positioning, but all works well now.

Comment

Working...