Does anyone use their BT3100 as a job site saw?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jidrobbins
    Handtools only
    • Aug 2015

Does anyone use their BT3100 as a job site saw?

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I'm looking at a used BT3100 tomorrow. I'm mostly interested in this because I'm tired of using cheap contractor saws on the job site. It this unit portable enough to carry to a job? It would stay on the job anywhere from 2 weeks to a month, so would not be moved that often. the saw I'm looking at has the wheels on the base so it could at least be rolled to my truck. I'm mostly wondering how it would hold up to frequent moving. Any insight would be helpful, thank you.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

One of the variants of the BT3x00 series saws, was branded as the Sears Craftsman model #21829. The major change made for this model was a collapsible mobile base, it basically made the saw a job site saw. And yes, I have seen contractors using them that way... One of the remodeling contrctors in my area is using an old BT3000 that has the wheels on it, so it is a tilt and roll job. He uses in for flooring jobs. (Saw him wheeling it in to a neighbors house last year as that house had been pretty much gutted for a full remodel.

It's a fairly light saw due to the aluminum tables. My main concern with frequent moves it just make sure the fence / rails are square to the blade before you start cutting, but that goes with a contractor saw as well...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Welcome to the forum!

The saw is ok to be moved around, if not handled by the "Samsonite Gorilla". A couple questions might help us understand your application though. For a comparative baseline - what are the "cheap contractor saws" you're accustomed to using? Also, what is your intended use - finish carpentry, or framing? This saw will be better for the former, but not quite strong enough for continuous, aggressive ripping, etc. of framing lumber - you'll have to slow down a bit for this.
      Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 08-26-2015, 11:20 AM.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• jidrobbins
        Handtools only
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
        Welcome to the forum!

The saw is ok to be moved around, if not handled by the "Samsonite Gorilla". A couple questions might help us understand your application though. For a comparative baseline - what are the "cheap contractor saws" you're accustomed to using? Also, what is your intended use - finish carpentry, or framing? This saw will be better for the former, but not quite strong enough for continuous, aggressive ripping, etc. of framing lumber - you'll have to slow down a bit for this.
        Thanks!

I'm currently using the Skill Saw in the picture (not sure what model #), and a similar Craftsman saw.

I use these for framing and finish, which is why I'm looking at the BT3100 - my current saws limit the Finish work I can do on site. I can't imagine the BT3100 is not at least AS strong as my current saws, but I can keep the others around if a lot of framing work will wreck the saw.

Comment

• jidrobbins
          Handtools only
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by dbhost
          One of the variants of the BT3x00 series saws, was branded as the Sears Craftsman model #21829. The major change made for this model was a collapsible mobile base, it basically made the saw a job site saw. And yes, I have seen contractors using them that way... One of the remodeling contrctors in my area is using an old BT3000 that has the wheels on it, so it is a tilt and roll job. He uses in for flooring jobs. (Saw him wheeling it in to a neighbors house last year as that house had been pretty much gutted for a full remodel.

It's a fairly light saw due to the aluminum tables. My main concern with frequent moves it just make sure the fence / rails are square to the blade before you start cutting, but that goes with a contractor saw as well...
          Thanks! My main concern with moving it is loading it on and off my truck. My current saws can easily be lifted on on own, not sure how heavy the BT's are (I guess I'll find out tomorrow).

Comment

Working...