X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NickAllen
    Handtools only
    • Feb 2015

Rip Fence Repair Help

I recently purchased a new roller holder, p/n: 969154002, as the original piece was falling apart. I am having trouble removing the Clamper B Roll pin p/n: 941401309 from the Clamper. Before I take my BFH or a grinder to it, does anyone have a suggestion or trick for removing the roll pin?
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Support the end of the fence and use a roll pin punch to drift it out.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Mark,
      On the off chance I have to do this one day, and don't have a roll pin punch handy - could one of the HF transfer punches from this set be used instead? Or even a thin nail set, like the one from this set?
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I wouldn't use the transfer punches, it will mess them up badly. They are too valuable for other purposes to have messed them up doing this! I'd mess up a Philips screw driver first!
        capncarl

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

you can drive it out with any flat faced cylindrical item that is smaller in diameter than the pin. Like a small diameter long bolt would work. Transfer punch is a bad idea as you don't want to expand the end of the roll pin by punching it with a pointed tool. probably won't hurt the transfer punch since its made to punch metal.

When you re-install it use a press... a clamp with a slow even closure (C-clamp, or quick grip clamp) that you screw or squeeze gently can be used for this.

Lineup and pin punches can be good for this. If you don't have a set it might be a good time/excuse to get one. Part of the right tool for the right job program.

$12 at Sears, lifetime warranty.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-23-2015, 01:49 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
            Mark,
            On the off chance I have to do this one day, and don't have a roll pin punch handy - could one of the HF transfer punches from this set be used instead? Or even a thin nail set, like the one from this set?
            Yes Bill a person could use a transfer punch to do this. A nail set would not work. A flat faced punch is the way to go. Roll pin punches make it easier because of the raised locating protrusion on their face which keeps the punch centered over the pin. This is one of those times where the correct tool for the job and right set up make a world of difference.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

I am very surprised that you are having trouble with that. It has been about 6 - 7 years or so since I had to replace the end on mine, twice within about a year. The roller pin section was not damaged, but even then, the pin just pushed out and back in with such ease, I wondered why the pin would even stay in. I never had a problem with it coming out but it wasn't a tight fit for mine.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Kem
                Handtools only
                • Jul 2015

Greetings:
                New user to the forum and the BT3000, just picked one up last week that had a broken Roller Holder on the rip fence, had a heck of a time getting that roller pin out, had to get a bigger hammer and that worked. But the rip fence is repaired and working, just need to replace the missing blade guard assy. and I will be ready to go!

Comment

Working...