Clear All
  • TheNewGuy
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2014
    • Dallas, TX
    • BT3000

New forum member and BT3000 owner

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to say hello and that I'm very impressed with the amount of information and participation here!

I just got an older BT3000 (probably 13A, haven't even got that far with it yet) from CL and I've been looking around the forums here for the past day or two.

I am a long time IT Guy and workshopper, but this is my first foray into any real woodworking.

I have already found the manual here and I will be going through the steps laid out there as soon as I have cleaned it up but that is really written for someone who is working with a newer BT3000.

I'm hoping I can get some tips from someone who has already gone through the steps of bringing a well used BT3K "up to speed." I found the info on the shims and will look at that and will probably send an email regarding the power switch (previous owner had the motor plugged directly into a surge protector, said the switch doesn't work). I have not turned it on since I got it home, but I know the motor works fine.

Is there anything else you have found useful to know/do when making an old BT3000 ready for use?

Thanks in advance everyone and I am very glad to be here!
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Welcome to our little group.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Tell us what is the "Date Code" on the name plate, that will tell you exactly how old the saw is. should be next to the serial number or part of the serial number, I'll recognize it whan you tell us.

You may want to send me a private mail (-forum mail message) and ask for a copy of the BT3 FAQ. (see my sig line below).
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• TheNewGuy
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2014
        • Dallas, TX
        • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        Tell us what is the "Date Code" on the name plate...
        I don't have it, sadly, so won't be able to get any recall replacements
        I thought the data plate was supposed to be on the right side panel but it is not there. I am missing the left side panel, could I have read the manual wrong?

Also, the lift mechanism did seize up the 3rd or 4th time i tried it so I dismantled it and found that I am missing one shim. I will probably order the upgraded guard and spring shims from ereplacementparts. Any reason I shouldn't do that?

PM sent!

Comment

• Clock Maker
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2013

[QUOTE=TheNewGuy;528123]I don't have it, sadly, so won't be able to get any recall replacements

If you contact Wayne Hill and maybe send him a picture of the power switch on your saw you may be able to get a replacement switch. If anyone can do it he can, he's really good people. He's with the company that owns Ryobi.
          Wayne.Hill@ttigroupna.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

there's two switch recalls,
            one for early BT3000s, where it was not easy to turn off.
            THis was for switches with two buttons on and off.
            Replacement was a switch that had a rocker switch and a safety cover that you pressed on it and it would turn the switch off, plus a lockout loop. It was very clear when you had the bad switch.

one for later BT3100s where the switch stick on.
            The replacement switch on later production was made better but looked identical, that's what they want the date of manufacture.

below are pics: old BT3000 switch, new BT3000 switch, BT3100 switch

if you think you have the old one, call wayne hill at the number someone posted above and tell him you think you have a recalled switch.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-10-2014, 11:49 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• niswanger
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2014
              • Round Rock, TX
              • BT3000

Hi, new guy Roy from Round Rock, TX here. Not to hijack the OP's thread here, but just wanted to confirm the switches. The one I have is the one pictured on the first row, second column, that's the new BT3000 switch correct? I just purchased the BT3000 and if I recall the date code has a 97 followed by two other numbers, like 14 i.e. 9714 (can't be for sure until I confirm this evening after work). So this must mean the previous owner may have put the newer switch in since I thought the faulty switches were on 2004/2005 models.

Thanks,
              Roy

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by niswanger
                Hi, new guy Roy from Round Rock, TX here. Not to hijack the OP's thread here, but just wanted to confirm the switches. The one I have is the one pictured on the first row, second column, that's the new BT3000 switch correct? I just purchased the BT3000 and if I recall the date code has a 97 followed by two other numbers, like 14 i.e. 9714 (can't be for sure until I confirm this evening after work). So this must mean the previous owner may have put the newer switch in since I thought the faulty switches were on 2004/2005 models.

Thanks,
                Roy
                BT3000s were made from 1992 to about 2002.
                if your BT3000 has a 9714 date code it would have been made 1n 1997 and with the 2nd switch (the one with the writing that says push to stop) as the 2-button switch was only made from 1992-1993 and recalled.
                BT3100s had a separate switch issue much later, I think that is what you are confused about.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

Yes Roy you are correct that is the updated BT3K switch.
                  Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• TheNewGuy
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2014
                    • Dallas, TX
                    • BT3000

Hmm.. actually my BT3000 already has the new switch though it is not an issue anymore.

I found a nearly brand new (looking) BT3100 on CL a couple days later so I will probably re-sell the BT3000 once I put a little "fun project time" into it.

Interestingly the BT3100 I purchased has the same switch, the one with the cover flap on it.

Comment

Working...