X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RJD2
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Cutting aluminum

I have seen non-ferrous blades. Can the BT3100 safely cut aluminum? If so, how thick of a piece could be cut? I need to cut some pieces of 1/8" thick 6061 aluminum. Thanks.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

yes, it can, you can even do limited amounts with the standard wood blades. altho I do have a non-ferrous blade for that purpose.
    1/8" aluminum is not very thick. Aluminum is soft and it cuts quite easily. 6061 is a very common alloy. The cuts are nice shiny and smooth.
    You might consider doing bar stock, angles, strips and extrusions on a miter saw instead of a table saw, largely because its easier to work with the fixed fence and easier to clean up.

In any case, you should use good dust extraction if possible with a vac or DC, you don't really want little aluminum metal shavings floating around in the motor and mechanisms and stuff.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-13-2014, 01:10 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

There are a few threads going way back about cutting aluminum on the TS, some on a BS and even routing aluminum.

Here is a link if you want to read more on the subject.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• lrr
        Established Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Fort Collins, Colorado
        • Ryobi BT-3100

I dedicated one of my older carbide blades for aluminum. I mostly cut thin stuff up to about 1/8" and I use my radial arm saw, but would use the table saw otherwise.
        Lee

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
          • Aug 2007
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • BT-3000, 21829

I use my BT3 often to cut extrusions with a anon-ferrous blade. I've cut several BT3 rails to custom length and the cuts come out nice and shiny.

Be sure to clean all the sawdust out from under the table and in shopvac. Those sawchips come out hot!
          You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
          of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

that old thread brought up one good point - whatever you do, don't try and use a grinder/grinding wheel on aluminum parts. Just don't do it. The aluminum loads up the wheel real fast and then some real bad things happen. Grinding wheels and aluminum don't play together well. The best thing that will happen is that the wheel will be ruined, the worst things include flying wheel debris and fires, possibly explosions if you believe all the stories. I chose not to find out.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-13-2014, 01:08 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jdon
              Established Member
              • Feb 2010
              • Snoqualmie, Wash.
              • BT3100

My BT3K cuts aluminum very easily- I can show you my SMT fence to prove it!

Comment

• scmhogg
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2003
                • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                • BT3000

I have cut both aluminum and brass with my BT. I make a sandwich with the metal between two pieces of scrap wood, with double faced tape. It, at least, takes away some of the scary factor.

Steve
                I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

One of the hardest parts of cutting au on the table saw is controlling the feed rate. The sliding miter table is the trick for cutting au. Sheet metal wants to slip under the rip fence and cause problems. Like smchogg suggests, sandwich the au between a couple of sheets of plywood works well, square the au up a couple of inches in and screw the wood together and it cuts just fine. I commonly cut 1/4" to 1/2" au on my table saw to get small enough pieces to use on the mill.
                  capncarl

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania
                    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                    One of the hardest parts of cutting au on the table saw
                    I'm guessing you mean Al, aluminum, rather than Au, gold ;-)
                    Last edited by woodturner; 01-15-2014, 11:07 AM.
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• TB Roye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

I recently bought 2 Freud Diablo D1084L, 84 tooth TCG Blade From Amazon with prime about $48.57 with prime shipping. The are designed to cut Laminate Floor, Melamine and Aluminum. It also say they are ideal for cutting these materials on under powered table saws. I bought to cut Laminate flooring. I was told by someone that it was better to cut Nonferrous metal on a Miter Saw. I have used this blade to cut some base board and does make very smooth and polished cut but will be using it to cut some BT3 rails when I remake my BT3 table. I have one blade in the BT3 and the one on my miter saw.

Tom

Comment

• greenacres2
                        • Dec 2011
                        • La Porte, IN
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by jdon
                        My BT3K cuts aluminum very easily- I can show you my SMT fence to prove it!
                        Or my Kreg fence. Cuts easier than some woods!!
                        earl

Comment

• TB Roye
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

Forgot about that, I was just talking about the blade.

Tom

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

Carbide blades will suprise you what they will cut. We had a hardware salesman on base give a demonstration of a steel cutting blade he was selling so we all gathered around the shop to watch him cut steel with an 8 inch Black and Decker circular saw. I thought it was a joke when he clamped a piece of 3/4" thick cold rolled steel the size of a garbage can lid down and prepared to cut it with that. When I saw he was serious I did what they called "get away quickly", after a long string of curse words. The dang saw cut through that steel like my saw cuts through wet pressure treated wood, no sparks, little noise, no one died. It looked like it was cut on a milling machine with a water cooled blade. I bought 3 blades and a saw from him just so I could scare my friends. Ive used it to cut 1 1/2" square Reese car hitches/recievers. It works.
                            capncarl

Comment

Working...