• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ade1542
    Handtools only
    • Nov 2013

Transporting a BT3000 ?

Hey Everyone.
    I am to be the new 'Daddy' of an adopted BT3000 this weekend.
    I have a question regarding what to do about transporting it back home.
    The unit I'm collecting is almost four hours away.
    I have a Dodge Durango that's trunk opening height is 32".
    The person I'm buying it from has informed that as a unit its height is 37" on its stand. So.....
    Is it okay for it to be on its side for the journey home ?
    Or, should I separate the saw from the stand for the trip ?
    I appreciate your expert advice.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

yeah the height is about 37-38" on the base. Total weight is about 110 pounds.
    Only four bolts and nuts hold the top to the stand if I recall correctly (but its been a long time). All are SAE size (not metric).
    The top is 75 lbs or so, the base is 30-something pounds by itself.
    For transport you will probably want to
    1. take off the aux table (latch at front, hooks under rail lip at rear.)
    2. take off the SMT (four latched 2 front, two back) lift the latches, then lift the SMT.
    3. Remove the rails - theres 2 rails front and back (different). Each rail is held by 2 push-button screw levers. Turn the lever CCW to loosen, if you have to loosen it more than the swing allows, push the button in the center to release the lever from the screw and turn it CW to get more swing. Just really need to loosen it, not remove it, then when loose you can slide the rails off to the sides.

If you need to put the main saw on its side should be no issues.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

Loring's directions are good. I would only add that I would try and clean it off before inserting into your SUV. If the bottom is open most should have dropped out but it will hide on every horizontal surface, and some vertical ones!

I would think if you pull the rails and accessory tables you could load it without taking it off the stand. The tables and rails are set up to be disconnected quickly which would also help with cleaning. Removing these pieces would also make it more reasonable if you have to move it without help at one or both ends.

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

One other thing to remove is the blade guard if it is installed, prior to transport. Replace it upon arrival to your shop. If it does not have one consider contacting Sharkguard and upgrading. Stytooner the maker is a member here. Best safety improvement you can make imho.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I agree, removing the blade guard assy is probably a good idea. Less to break off and less to flop around when moving esp. if placing on the side.

I thought about mentioning it but... taking it off is a bit of a trick. You have to remove the throat plate, then you'll need a 1/2" wrench to loosen the 2 nuts (don't remove them) and lift the guard off. Then tighten the nuts a bit so they won't vibrate off and get lost.

Putting it back on takes some adjustment to get properly aligned to the blade... you have to read the manual for that.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I would separate the saw body from the stand, and remove the blade guard / riving knife for hauling, the reassemble when you get to your destination. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes, and will be well worth it to protect the saw, and the interior of your car.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I don't use the stand for my BT3100. I think a home made rolling cart with drawers with the saw on a hinged piece of plywood (for easy cleaning) is a lot more useful. But using the BT3000 to make the cart without the legs wouldn't be very practical.

Comment

• ade1542
                Handtools only
                • Nov 2013

Thank you all for your sound advice.
                I am indeed forewarned and will be most definitely be forearmed !
                Directions. Check.
                Tools. Check.
                Wife. (Pauses in thought). Check.
                I did, after all, promise a day out and a nice lunch.
                And she's gonna need it after loading that table saw while I 'supervise' !!
                Thanks again for your expertise

Comment

Working...