• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by LCHIEN
    You can have a saw blade sharpened - it only makes sense to sharpen more costly carbide blades like your original Ryobi blade. Generally the blades can be sharpened a number of times, it depends on how thick the original carbide was... Ryobi was middling if I recall, not as thick as some premium blades but much better than econo-blades.

They charge by the tooth - a 36 tooth blade is generally around 25 to 33 cents per tooth so you're looking at around 9 to 12 bucks.

Look under sharpening services in the yellow pages or go to the customer service desk at a local hardware or tool store, there are generally services that pick up and deliver weekly to such stores.

Another option is a mail-order internet service like Forrest. Of course that adds shipping to your costs.
    Serious woodworkers count on American-made Forrest saw blades for smooth, quiet cuts, every time... without splintering, scratching or tearouts.

http://www.forrestsawbladesonline.co...harpening.html
    At some point in the production of the BT-3100, the Freud made blade was replaced with a cheaper blade. The later blades may not be woth the expense of sharpening.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Pappy
      At some point in the production of the BT-3100, the Freud made blade was replaced with a cheaper blade. The later blades may not be woth the expense of sharpening.
      well, the OP said it was a BT3K which probably means a BT3000 although it could be taken to mean a BT3100.
      HE also said it (the blade) was 10-12 years old which means the saw was at least that old.

A BT3000 would have had the Freud blade as that was the only blade ever sold with it,
      And a saw sold in 2000-2001-2002 would likely be a BT3000 since the BT3100 became available in 2002.
      Finally the Chinese blade replaced the Freud blade on BT3100s in late (December) 2005.

So in all likelihood, the OP has a Freud blade.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

If blades are sent out for sharpening, it's worthwhile to find a service that is proficient in carbide repair. They can fix broken or missing teeth, and service router bits too.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I know one thing, if you send a blade out for sharpening, make sure the blade is secured to the packaging. If a saw blade is allowed to slide around in a cardboard sleeve, it will cut its way out during shipment!
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• cooterbrown
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2013

well, the OP said it was a BT3K which probably means a BT3000 although it could be taken to mean a BT3100.
            HE also said it (the blade) was 10-12 years old which means the saw was at least that old.

A BT3000 would have had the Freud blade as that was the only blade ever sold with it,
            And a saw sold in 2000-2001-2002 would likely be a BT3000 since the BT3100 became available in 2002.
            Finally the Chinese blade replaced the Freud blade on BT3100s in late (December) 2005.

So in all likelihood, the OP has a Freud blade.
            Yes - BT3000 not the 3100.

I may look into blade sharpening. The shipping is fine if I have to send it off.

It's funny - I think some folks are replying without reading my replies.

The new blade cuts awesomely.

Quick side question since I've been out of the loop for so long: What is the NEW goto BT3K equivalent these days? Does Ryobi still produce it? Or have fans found a new make/model?

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

I know one thing, if you send a blade out for sharpening, make sure the blade is secured to the packaging. If a saw blade is allowed to slide around in a cardboard sleeve, it will cut its way out during shipment!
              Adding to the thought of packaging, if more than one blade is packed together to use a separator of some sort between blades to keep the teeth from making contact with each other. Blades can be taped together, with a piece of cardboard in between like a sandwich insert.

Some blades come in a rigid plastic housing like a case. Those can be saved and used.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cooterbrown

Quick side question since I've been out of the loop for so long: What is the NEW goto BT3K equivalent these days? Does Ryobi still produce it? Or have fans found a new make/model?
                The BT3K lives on in the form of the Ryobi-made Sears 21829. It's changed a bit in that it has a new red-and-black-themed paint job, a new rolling/folding stand that allows the saw to store on edge, and it has a longer set of rails (46" instead of 41"), a new Aux table with miter guide slots for routering. Other than that the BT3 parts more or less interchange readily, still has the same motor and belt drive, SMT, rip fence and rail system.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cooterbrown
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2013

Thanks LChien.

Project went well. Door will be hung tonight.

Saw developed BAD elevation rod issue. (goes down - won't come back up.)

I need to find directions on disassembly and cleaning. I know they are on here somewhere.

The new blade solved all the issues.

I don't know how many posts I need to post pictures - but I will. It was a fun project but the results are really cool.

Thanks for all the help in this thread. Appreciate everyone's feedback.

Comment

Working...