• Show
Clear All
  • tropicalarcadian
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2012
    • South Florida
    • Ryobi BT3000 13amp

13 amp motor questions

i just purchased a 13amp model since i didn't know any better. Now that it's too late, can i wire the motor for 220v? Do i need to buy a 15amp motor if i'm going to be ripping 3 inch hardwoods? Thanks.
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

with the proper rip blade, feed rate and aligned rip fence, a 1hp motor will be sufficient to get the job done. doing it in 2 passes (1.5" first pass, 3"+ second pass) would reduce the strain placed on a saw motor. IMHE, power is customarily accorded more importance than necessary.
    Last edited by toolguy1000; 10-17-2012, 12:31 PM.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

The Ryobi motor may not be rewired to 220v. If you are going to rip 3" hardwoods plug the saw into an outlet on a circuit with no other loads on it at the time. Use a good quality sharp rip blade and feed only as fast as the saw can cut. If the saw bogs down use a cut down riving knife and cut it in two or more passes. If the saw has problems then you might try to find a used 15 amp motor from someone parting a saw out. If your primary use for this saw is ripping of 12/4 hardwood you might be better served with a different saw.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I do not believe either the 13 or 15 amp motors are capable of being wired 220V, but I could be wrong. Check the manual. (I am firewalled from getting the URL for you, but Google it...)

As far as ripping 3 inch hardwoods, I guess it depends on what hardwoods you are ripping... I have ripped 12/4 (?) pin oak on my 15 amp BT3100 and thought it more than sufficient. Just used a good, sharp 24t ripping blade and a reasonable feed rate.

I put the (?) there because I didn't measure out the thickness. It was a slab I cut from a downed tree and slabbed on my bandsaw. I planed it to whatever thickness, I don't recall, but it was somewhere close to that...

The blade I was using is a Freud Diablo 24T ripping blade from Home Depot.

If you are going to rip / resaw 12/4 a lot, like Black Wallnut said, you might want a beefier saw, or to resaw on a band saw...

And I totally agree, you need to make sure the circuit the saw is running on is ONLY running the saw... You do not want to starve the motor for amps when running it that hard.
        Last edited by dbhost; 10-17-2012, 12:34 PM.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

If you're talking about a 13 amp "BT" motor, running it on 220v would likely result in running at double RPM for a matter of seconds (or less ) before it goes up in smoke.
          Last edited by Knottscott; 10-17-2012, 10:45 PM.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

BT3s cannot be "wired" for 220V unless you've got one of the (very rare) 220V motors produced for overseas. Not convertible and besides, you'd not have a motor any more powerful! Its a misconception that 220V is more powerful - a 1 HP motor is 1 HP whether its 120V or 220V. With residential 120V supply, motors are limited to about 1.5 HP because of the current limit. With a higher voltage they can make the motor bigger and more HP and not run out of current but that's a different thing.

Like the other said, make sure the power wire to the saw is preferably direct, if you must a 12 ga extension cord (short) CAN BE USED. a sharp 24T ripping blade, thin kerf. This is all to get your saw running most efficiently.

thin materials are generally easy. As the material gets thicker and harder, you have to feed more slowly or the blade will stall. Feeding too slowly will burn the wood. When you get to the point where it burns at the fastest speed you can manage then you are out of power.

Still as others have mentioned, do it in two passes, or rip 1/16th oversize, let it burn a bit, then rip to exact size with a shaving rip operation to clean off the burn marks.

If you plan to do this often, you will need a bigger saw.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-18-2012, 12:41 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

If a motor has dual voltage options (120/220) the ID plate would have the wiring diagram. The horsepower would be the same. At 220V the amperage draw would be half than if run on 120V. For difficult rips, a thin kerf blade, as low as 20T could be used. Cuts may be easier if done with the blade run higher than just tooth/gullet exposure.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
                If a motor has dual voltage options (120/220) the ID plate would have the wiring diagram. The horsepower would be the same. At 220V the amperage draw would be half than if run on 120V. For difficult rips, a thin kerf blade, as low as 20T could be used. Cuts may be easier if done with the blade run higher than just tooth/gullet exposure.

The BT3000 has a universal motor. Universal motors are simply not made with multiple parallel-series windings like induction motors that allow dual voltage use.

The OP clearly stated he has a BT3000 with the early 13-Amp motor. Changing motors is ridiculous, people have been asking to change motors in BT3 in the 12 years I've been associated with this forum and no one has yet reported doing so successfully - it would be a technical challenge.

You can't raise the blade much higher if you are already doing a 3" rip as the OP suggested he wants to do.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-18-2012, 12:25 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  The BT3000 has a universal motor. Universal motors are simply not made with multiple parallel-series windings like induction motors that allow dual voltage use..
                  I didn't specify a BT motor. Motors can be replaced.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    You can't raise the blade much higher if you are already doing a 3" rip as the OP suggested he wants to do.
                    Suggestion to rip in two passes (different blade heights), or flipping over, isn't as effective as a single pass, IMO.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Let's not over think this. This section of the forum is for BT3x saws. I think it is fair to assume that when a thread is in this section that the OP or a staff member placed it here due to the saw in question being a BT3x saw. Because of that suggestions of two passes is a valid option and gives great results when performed correctly. Also for what it is worth the BT3X saws have more depth of cut than any 10" cabinet saw, that does not mean it is always best to use it all.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• tropicalarcadian
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Oct 2012
                        • South Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3000 13amp

i will be ripping 3" hardwoods to use on a Craftsman Router Crafter, so two passes will suffice for that purpose. And the shaving rip operation is one of those "Why didn't i think of that?" ideas. So thanks for the help, i'll make due until i can find a 15amp motor.

Still as others have mentioned, do it in two passes, or rip 1/16th oversize, let it burn a bit, then rip to exact size with a shaving rip operation to clean off the burn marks.If you plan to do this often, you will need a bigger saw.[/QUOTE]

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

just don't let the motor bog down too slow even before it stalls. if it does, you will surely burn out the motor with prolonged use. You can hear it laboring and this is really, really bad for motors, any motors, not just the one in this saw... The BT3's don't have a thermal cutout to my knowledge. If you see smoke or smell burning electrical insulation, it's too late. But don't worry too much, there's not a whole lot of difference between 13 and 15 amps.
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-18-2012, 12:29 AM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...