• Show
Clear All
  • T...K21
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2012
    • Southern Idaho
    • BT3100

missing screws for throat plate

I'm missing two front screws for height adjustment for the throat plate. What size are they? I've gone to the hardware store twice and came back with the wrong size.

Thanks, T
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I don't recall off hand. Just take one to the hardware store and match it up... While you are there, grab a few extras, they are easy to lose...

FWIW, I do believe they are metric, not SAE, that should cut down your hunt time...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

the screws holding the throat plate down are 10-24 flat head screws.
      Not sure about height adjustment screws (none on the BT3000)... does the BT3100 have height adjustment screws under the throat plate??
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I could have sworn they are metric... But Loring keeps records on these things. I keep it in my head which isn't the best place... Kind of messy up there...

Yes, the screws that hold the throat plate down do double duty to adjust throat plate height with things like the dado TP, or the factory throat plate. The only TP I use that doesn't use them as height adjusters are the Ryobi ZCTPs from the accessory kit.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

The BT3000 parts manual lists them as 10-24 X 3/4 in. FLAT HD.. The BT3100 has a diffrent part number for the front one.

I didn't see a mention of using height adjustment screws in the manual.

My Ryobi ZCTPs use the 4 screw positions. I took care of the height differences when I made my wood inserts.
          Erik

Comment

• durango dude
            • Mar 2011
            • a thousand or so feet above insanity
            • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I have the size information back at home - but take my advice ---- REPLACE THE SCREWS (don't ask me how I know..... but I'm darn lucky that I'm still a male.....)

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

IIRC, it seems to me that the "height adjustment" screw holes were there for after market throat plates, or it was discovered that these holes could be used for that and some people did that. Not totally sure, but something is rolling around in my brain about this.

I will bet that Lee can add something on this subject, or even clarify it.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

oh, I remember now. There's two sets of holes, the original steel plate uses three holes, the plastic cut-your-own plates use a different four holes. The unused holes (whichever set you weren't using) could be used to prop up the plate by not screwing them down all the way.... that assumes either the holes in the table are countersinked, or, you put 10-24 set screws (e.g. no head, just a slot) into the unused holes, I presume. {P.S.} Or, you can insert a regular screw from the bottom and use the tip projecting upwards as a height set screw for the plate.

I think in the old days the set of four for the optional DIY plate were not threaded, the steel screws they supplied were self-tapping into the aluminum? You might have to run a 10-24 tap through the holes if you are using them for the first time, or it will be hard getting the screws in with normal force.

There was also a period of time when the factory screws put into the plate (on BT3100s) were so tight they were nearly impossible to get out.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-27-2012, 09:17 PM. Reason: added P.S.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Dave, as far as I am aware, there is no metric hardware anywhere on the BT3's.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• T...K21
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2012
                    • Southern Idaho
                    • BT3100

Awsome! Thanks you guys. I'll stop at the hardware store again in the morn.

Comment

• Dal300
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2011
                      • East Central Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Just as an FYI, in the accessory kit that I got with my BT3100 was 4 screws that fit the inner holes on the throat. These screws have stop nuts to set the adjustment and lock the height.

If anyone is interested I'll see if I can dig them out and take pictures tomorrow.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

FWIW, rather than adjust the height screws each time you interchange plates, I used metallized address labels to shim the plates. Each label is adhesive backed and is about 4 mils thick. I cut them into thin strips (as wide as the ledge on the opening in the saw) and stack them until the plate is perfectly level with the top. Need to put them three or four places around the perimeter probably near the screw holes. The sticky back ensures it stays with the plate once calibrated. That way each plate is perfectly leveled when I install it or change it out.
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-27-2012, 09:24 PM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• RodKirby
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          FWIW, rather than adjust the height screws each time you interchange plates, I used metallized address labels to shim the plates. Each label is adhesive backed and is about 4 mils thick. I cut them into thin strips (as wide as the ledge on the opening in the saw) and stack them until the plate is perfectly level with the top. Need to put them three or four places around the perimeter probably near the screw holes. The sticky back ensures it stays with the plate once calibrated. That way each plate is perfectly leveled when I install it or change it out.
                          I love simple one-time solutions
                          Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• JR
                            The Full Monte
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Eugene, OR
                            • BT3000

... I used metallized address labels to shim the plates.
                            Myself, I'm a playing card man. I use 3M 77 spray adhesive. It's obviously more messy than your label idea, but I use them fo a lot of other things in the shop, most notably for sneaking up on a cut when using the crosscut sled. I'll clamp a stop block on the fence and make the cut close, then add playing cards until the length is just right.

This idea might be beneficial for anyone who has a deck with only 51 cards in it.

JR
                            JR

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Dave, as far as I am aware, there is no metric hardware anywhere on the BT3's.
                              Must be rust on the brain again... No problem...

Comment

Working...