• Show
Clear All
  • SSO720
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2011
    • Knoxville TN
    • Ryobi BT3000

BT3K router table

When I bought my BT3K used the guy gave me just about all the options available. I got the router set up but no router.
    What is the proper Ryobi router that is supposed to be used? Will other brand routers mount to the table as well? Any recomendations.
    Thanks
    Paul
  • Turaj
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    • BT3000 (1998)

Any brand router will work! If you have the Ryobi router plate, you may have to drill new holes to match the router. If you don't have the router plate, it is very easy to make. I know of few people who attach their router directly to the Accessory table (need to drill holes in the table) but I don't like that!

As for the router, I have Bosch combo with the fixed based attached to the table and the plunge bas available for hand held!

Hope this helps
    Turaj (in Toronto)
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• SSO720
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2011
      • Knoxville TN
      • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks

Turaj,
      Thanks for the help. I have to Craftsman routers and I should be able to figure out how to make one of them work.
      What got me asking was that I was in a pawn shop earlier today looking for tools and saw several Ryobi routers real cheap and was going to buy one if it was a direct bolt on.

Comment

• vaking
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2005
        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

Accesory table on BT3 should fit natively without drilling Ryobi and most Craftsman routers.
        Alex V

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

I have an older Craftsman mounted in my BT. If memory serves me right, and it often doesn't, I had to redrill the plate.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

most of the older craftsman routers were actually made by Ryobi and share the mounting hole pattern - same one that's in the early Ryobi BT3000 and BT3100 tables.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• SSO720
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2011
              • Knoxville TN
              • Ryobi BT3000

Success!!

I tried both of my C-man routers and neither matched the mounting pattern. Not to be defeated I went pawn shop hunting with the mounting plate. Is shop I hit had 2 Ryobi routers and both matched up. I grabbed the newer of them for $40. I now have it mounted and running like a champ.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Chapel Hill, NC
                • Ryobi BT3100

I stopped using the Ryobi router attachment and built my own. I have lots of pictures of it on my website if you're interested:

Yes, the little magnetic tool holder collects lots of sawdust! That's about the only place it fits, though.
                online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• os1kne
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Atlanta, GA
                  • BT3100

It's been a long time, but I used my router mounted to the accessory table a few times. Not sure if you know this, but it's a very good idea to mount the accessory table to the rails more solidly when the accessory table is being used as a router table. I know that there were plans floating around for a simple accessory to accomplish this.

Good luck!
                  Bill

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by os1kne
                    It's been a long time, but I used my router mounted to the accessory table a few times. Not sure if you know this, but it's a very good idea to mount the accessory table to the rails more solidly when the accessory table is being used as a router table. I know that there were plans floating around for a simple accessory to accomplish this.

Good luck!
                    the accessory table usually simply locks at the front with the lever allowing the back to wander a bit if pushed. But the Router mounting kit comes with a rear lock for the accessory table that you will want to use with the router table if you are using a fence (which will be locked at both ends). If you are using the router with a bearing guided bit -like a roundover bit - and no fence then you don't really need to lock the rear of the table down. But then you should use a guide pin which the accessory table does not provide for.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• wood wrangler
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Nov 2009
                      • Western Chicago burbs
                      • btk3000, with the 3100 shim update

Accessory table rear lock, and router base preference for table?

I just cut plywood last night to mount my router to the accessory table. Seeing this thread, I have two questions:

1. Since I don't have the router mounting kit, how can I lock the rear of the accessory table?

2. I have a PC router that came with 3 bases(!) I tried putting the plunge on the table but I don't like the idea of having to get down there and futz with the locking screw to release the motor. So I'm figuring on putting the fixed base on it and using the D handle for hand operations.

I vaguely remember reading something a long time ago about some people preferring to use the plunge on the table. I can't find that thread so can someone tell me what might make the plunge a better base for table mounting?

Comment

• aiyou
                        SawdustZone Patron
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Charlotte, NC
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by wood wrangler
                        1. Since I don't have the router mounting kit, how can I lock the rear of the accessory table?
                        Lee, of SharkGuard fame, has plans for a custom version:

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think usually people use the fixed base for mounting to the router table.
                          The plunge router bases usually have a spring to counter gravity. So when you release the plunge locks it doesn't drop straight down but you have to push just a little. When the plunge base is inverted under a table the spring operates with gravity instead of against it and makes it twice as hard to position the router.
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-13-2012, 06:41 PM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• wood wrangler
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Nov 2009
                            • Western Chicago burbs
                            • btk3000, with the 3100 shim update

Router bit hole

Ill work on the clamp idea - thanks aiyou.

Now my next problem. I clamped a board to the fence and tried an end cut with a bead line bit (or something like that). Three times in a row it tore out the end of the board. Because it's a small piece (4 inches long?), and I was cutting the board perpendicular to the table, I think the problem is the hole in the table. Meaning, the wood might be shifting because the end of the board isn't supported enough.

Is there something I can get to fill the hole and still leave room for the bit? I did a quick search but I don't think I was finding what I need.

Comment

• trungdok
                              Established Member
                              • Oct 2012
                              • MA

Originally posted by wood wrangler
                              Is there something I can get to fill the hole and still leave room for the bit? I did a quick search but I don't think I was finding what I need.
                              You can get throat plate for the accessory table.

Since you made your own mount, you can make that mount's opening be smaller than the hole on the accessory table. Then cut a 1/4" (or however thick it must be) circle and glue onto the mount piece. OR, you can take a board roughly the size of the accessory table, route a hole that fit your bit near the middle, put it on the accessory table with the bit sticking up through the hole, and use it as your table for small pieces.

Comment

Working...