• Show
Clear All
  • Han86
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2011
    • Ohio
    • Ryobi Bt3000

BT3000 Newbie

Hello BT3 owners sorry I am 20 years behind the times. I just recently Purchased a used BT3000 for $140. Dirty but worked great I cleaned it up. Had some rust on right side near outlet I bought a new one now she looks very nice. If any one has any tips, tricks or secrets about this saw please let me know where to find info. I am also very new to table saws so I am sorry if I ask Dumb Questions.... Thank You, Clint...
    Thanks,

Clint
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Welcome!

This forum has quite a bit of info. I spent a lot of time looking through the posts here when I first got my 21829. Get the FAQ from Loring. There's some Videos on youtube that were orginally done by Ryobi. They're good for seeing it in use. The Articles section here has more info on the saw too. http://www.bt3central.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34
    Be sure to check out the last link in the second page, it leads to even more stuff: http://www.bt3central.com/index.php?page=articles
    Erik

Comment

• Han86
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2011
      • Ohio
      • Ryobi Bt3000

Thanks

I have been all over this for awhile reading post after post after post some very informational some not so much. One thing I have been seeing a lot and scares me is this shim issue what do I need to do to make sure I don't have shim problems??? Glad to have join the Group and hope to start making some great projects... I think my first one will be a Mobile Base unit w/folding outfeed table..

If anyone knows where I should or shouldn't mount to saw or stand or what to cover or not to cover... to keep saw running as smooth as it can please... let me know....
      Thanks,

Clint

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Han, use the PM (private mail) here to send me your e-mail address. I will send you the BT3 FAQ which answers a myriad of questions you might have (includin the shims) and some more you don't know you need to know.

The short story on the shims is that is a problem that about 1/3 of the BT3000 owners have suffered (not the BT3100) but those who have not I suspect have kept their saws clean and lubricated in the shim area. So its not like a death sentence or a fatal illness that has to be met.

Loring (LCHIEN)
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-14-2011, 03:56 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Since the BT3 has been out of pruduction for so long we don't get a lot of BT3 'Newbies' anymore.

You are the second in as many days. Therfore I find it necessary to repeat myself.....

Welcome to the Asylum, Han!
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Han86
            Forum Newbie
            • Sep 2011
            • Ohio
            • Ryobi Bt3000

Accessories

Which Accessories are worth Getting and which ones are easier to make and what is the best set up for the saw and I am going to use accessory table as a router table also i have bought the wide table kit and legs now i wish I would have saved money and made my own legs but oh well. I am going to make a mobile stand and an outfeed table i was thinking about puting router table about 12 inches from end of Wide table kit and making wood tables on both sides of router also I have bought BT3Kit from Home Depot. Which Blades are the best for this saw.. Sorry If I am asking alot questions I will have alot more....
            Thanks,

Clint

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

My favorite items for the saw other than what you already list are the Shark Guard. Which is a huge upgrade from stock...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Han86
                Forum Newbie
                • Sep 2011
                • Ohio
                • Ryobi Bt3000

Shark Guard

What makes shark guard so much better than stock
                Thanks,

Clint

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

shark guard, accessories, leg kit all discussed in the FAQ.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Welcome Clint. Enjoy your saw and join in the fun here on this forum.

An overview to the Shark Guard - the idea and guard was created by one of our forum members here, Lee Styron (Stytooner). It is a quick on and quick off guard with a dust collection port on it. One of the problems with most guards on most saws is that they are just a pain to take on and take off for needed operation, therefore most people just leave them off. The SG eliminates that pain and makes it more of a safety feature.
                    Last edited by leehljp; 09-15-2011, 07:44 AM.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Han86
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Sep 2011
                      • Ohio
                      • Ryobi Bt3000

Faq

Loring thanks for the faq I have been reading it alot and it is awesome. Again Thank you
                      Thanks,

Clint

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Glad you find it useful.

Loring
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• pelligrini
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • Fort Worth, TX
                          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Han86
                          Which Accessories are worth Getting and which ones are easier to make and what is the best set up for the saw and I am going to use accessory table as a router table
                          The miter fence clamps aren't worth it. They can be useful at times, but I don't use mine very often. I didn't find them to be a good, stable clamp.

I used the accessory table for a while as my router table. The OEM router fence is one of the poorest accessories for the saw. I made a shop built fence based on a wood magazine design. The accessory table is OK, but the hole is small and getting some routers mounted can be a hassle. The second best upgrade I did on the saw was to get a router lift and build a larger router table insert.

Others have mentioned the Shark Guard. I think it was the best thing I ever got for the saw. I hardly ever used the OEM guard. After any cut where I had to remove the guard and knife, it never got but back on. Now I hardly ever do a cut without my Shark. Lee's latest design is even better.

Be sure to check out T-Nuts.com. Take the link off the top of the main page http://www.bt3central.com/forum.php I piced up a couple assortments of T-bolts, nuts, and studs. They're really handy for jigs, auxillary fences, outfeed tables, etc.
                          Erik

Comment

Working...