• Show
Clear All
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Helicoil and blade raising thread

Just picked up another BT3000 off Craigs list, but it has a stripped blade raising thread so I need to install a helicoil.

Found the article in the list, and it appears that 9/16-12 is the thread size. Anyone know if that is universal for all BT3000s?

Looks like the Helicoil kits are up to $30 or so now, though the inserts are still inexpensive. Is the tap for a Helicoil different from a normal tap, or will a tap the next size up work fine? I'm trying to avoid buying more tools I'll use only once

Maybe we could start a tool lending library for commonly needed BT3X repair tools
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

Helicoil taps are specific to helicoil; You'll need a tap and install tool.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• drillman88
      • Dec 2007
      • Southeast
      • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

If you have a set of large taps and there is enough meat around the hole, you can drill and tap it to 5/8. Then put a piece of all thread in using red loctite and drill and tap this out to 9/16 after the loctite sets. You are basically plugging the hole and redrilling it.
      We do this type of repair at work quite a bit and it works well.

I am not sure if it is possible but i was throwing the idea out there.
      Last edited by drillman88; 08-14-2011, 03:40 PM.
      I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by drillman88
        If you have a set of large taps and there is enough meat around the hole, you can drill and tap it to 5/8. Then put a piece of all thread in using red loctite then drill and tap this out to 9/16 after the loctite sets. You are basically plugging the hole and redrilling it.
        We do this type of repair at work quite a bit and it works well.

I am not sure if it is possible but i was throwing the idea out there.
        I appreciate the suggestion, interesting idea. In this case, though, the aluminum casting has a "sleeve" that extends out from the base, and this sleeve is tapped. There is maybe 1/8" of material surrounding the hole, so there is not a lot of extra material. Do you think this would still work, or is that too little material?

Comment

• drillman88
          • Dec 2007
          • Southeast
          • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

From your description I wouldnt think so. The helicoil would probably be best. You may be able to tap the hole to 5/8 and change the bolt or threaded rod on the machanism to 5/8.
          After thinking about it a 5/8 plug wouldn't leave enough strength to drill and tap a 9/16 hole. 3/4 would be the best for this applicaion. If you went to 3/4 to plug the hole you would be really close to or would take out the sleave.
          Last edited by drillman88; 08-14-2011, 04:14 PM.
          I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by woodturner
            ...Found the article in the list, and it appears that 9/16-12 is the thread size. Anyone know if that is universal for all BT3000s?

...Maybe we could start a tool lending library for commonly needed BT3X repair tools
            as far as I know, the 9/16-12 is common to all BT3 variants.

We did have a floating kit but it was lost when someone broke the chain.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              as far as I know, the 9/16-12 is common to all BT3 variants.
              OK, thanks. The guy I bought the saw from turned out to be the owner of a local sharpening and machinery sales and repair dealer. He had taken it in trade, ordered a replacement part from Ryobi, with the right part number, but the one they sent him was not the right part. IIRC, the one they sent had square corners on the casting, while the one on the saw has rounded corners. He said it was close but didn't quite fit.

I'll check the threaded rod before starting the repair, just to make certain.

We did have a floating kit but it was lost when someone broke the chain.
              I'm going to check with the ME department to see if they might have a set. If not, I guess I will have to buy one. In that event, maybe we can try the floating kit idea another try.

Thanks.

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

Before buying, you might check with an auto parts store. Our Advance Auto will rent odd tools out cheaply.
                Lee

Comment

• jeepman71
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2008

Possibly a threadsert would work. I believe they use two sizes up as far a tap sizes. Been too long since I have used these. Here is some information.
                  threaded inserts threaded, stripped threads, threaded inserts, blown out sparkplugs, stripped threads, stripped out theads, inserts threaded inserts, ford sparkplug repair, threaded insert thread repair spark plug ford blown, blew out ford sparkplug, stripped theads, threads stripped out, threaded inserts for stripped threads, repairing stripped threads, thread repair kits and inserts, repairing sparkplugs threads, sparkplugs threads have stripped out, screw thread inserts, striped out threads, threaded inserts, automobile threads blown out, motorcycle threads stripped out threads, not helicoil use time-sert thread repair, screw thread insert, inserts for screw threads, screw thead inserts have stripped out

Jeepman71

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jeepman71
                    Possibly a threadsert would work. I believe they use two sizes up as far a tap sizes. Been too long since I have used these. Here is some information.
                    threaded inserts threaded, stripped threads, threaded inserts, blown out sparkplugs, stripped threads, stripped out theads, inserts threaded inserts, ford sparkplug repair, threaded insert thread repair spark plug ford blown, blew out ford sparkplug, stripped theads, threads stripped out, threaded inserts for stripped threads, repairing stripped threads, thread repair kits and inserts, repairing sparkplugs threads, sparkplugs threads have stripped out, screw thread inserts, striped out threads, threaded inserts, automobile threads blown out, motorcycle threads stripped out threads, not helicoil use time-sert thread repair, screw thread insert, inserts for screw threads, screw thead inserts have stripped out
                    That does look like a better solution, but the kits are rather expensive (~$120).

I'll ask around and check to see if they are available as loaner tools anywhere.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

I would steer away from the linked threadsert as it appears from the product description that it has locking threads. It also does not say what material it is made from. Heli-coil is stainless and is a proven solution to this problem. The only hard part is making sure that you drill straight, and then making sure your tap follows straight. Once you do this apply a bit of locTite to the threads (external) when you install the insert.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

I thought I needed a helicoil once but it was just that the height mechanism needed lubricated and the plastic handle was turning on the steel shaft. Probably that isn't your problem but I thought I would mention it. Mine is a BT3100 and I think it would be pretty hard to strip the threads using the plastic handle.

Jim

Comment

• jeepman71
                          Established Member
                          • Nov 2008

Buy threaded inserts for metal online at E-Z LOK. Our collection of thread inserts for metal is perfect for unified and metric thread repair in a variety of applications. We offer both solid wall and coil metal threaded inserts. Order your threaded inserts for metal from E-Z LOK today!

This is a product that we used at Ford motor rebuilders in the 80s. I believe if memory serves that the tap size is a normal size.

Jeepman71

Comment

• jdon
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2010
                            • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                            • BT3100

The e-z lok looks like an interesting alternative to Heli-coil - cheaper (quick web check:~$10 for 5). Only potential drawbacks I see are:

1) fewer threads (shorter insert: .656 vs .844 in. for H-C)

2) slightly larger drill out (21/32 vs. 19/32).

Anyone have any experience with E-z lok with BT3k? BTW, unless I'm missing something, a Heli-coil kit isn't outrageously more expensive: toolsource.com has a kit for 39.70.

I'm trying to avoid needing such a repair, but always good to have the knowledge available.

Comment

• mnmphd
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Feb 2006

When this happened to my bt3100, the easier and cheaper solution was to replace the part. I am pretty sure it was less $30. I had to swap the bearing/pully assembly but I figured that was less prone to error than
                              boring/tapping/inserting the helicoil. That said, I kept the older motor bracket
                              in case I ever got easy access to a helicoil kit.

Comment

Working...