• Show
Clear All
  • Papa
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Williamsburg, VA
    • Ryobi BT3000

Grounding Wires

A few weeks ago, I took the right (motor) side panel off my BT3 to lubricate the gears and install a replacement power plug. Company interrupted the job, and now I'm trying to reassemble it. My problem is that I can't remember where the second grounding wire from the plug was attached. I know that one of the two grounding wires attaches to the panel itself with a bolt. Can anyone tell me where the secomd grounding wire is supposed to attach?

Thanks,
    Papa
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I am curious to know, which specific model, BT3000, BT3100 or which. The reason I ask is I have a U.S. delivery BT3100-1 and it only has one ground lead from the switch assembly.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• paultnl
      Forum Newbie
      • Jun 2004
      • United Kingdom.

ground

On my BT3000 they both go on the same bolt.

Comment

• master53yoda
        Established Member
        • Oct 2008
        • Spokane Washington
        • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

One ground wire is from the power cord in and the other is from the motor, they both will go on the same bolt on the cover.
        Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

both grounding wires should be attached to the same frame bolt.

It has been suggested that a three-way splice of these two wires and a short extension of equal or larger gauge can be connected to a (bolt) place on the chassis other than the side panel. This will allow the side panel to be removed and the saw cleaned without having the side panel dangle by the ground wires or having to disconnect them every time.

Properly done this should not affect the safety of the ground.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Slik Geek
            • Dec 2006
            • Lake County, Illinois
            • Ryobi BT-3000

Safety's Sake

Since those ground wires provide a layer of safety for the operator (to prevent electrical shock), those two lugs should actually be secured with two nuts - the first to secure the ring lugs in place, and the second nut to secure the first nut in place (to prevent the nut from coming loose due to vibration, for example). Can't recall if that is how the saw was originally configured, but it should be that way.

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

Here is an image of mine after I moved them to the front part of the saw base.
              IIRC, there are lock washers and perhaps two nuts on the original bolt. I drilled an appropriate sized hole and then reused the original hardware. I made hinged plywood panels on the sides of my saw, so had to move the ground.
              It would have been useful to do this even with the original panels, so that it is easier to do the motor, gear and slide maint. when needed.

Last edited by Stytooner; 08-16-2011, 02:15 AM.
              Lee

Comment

• Papa
                Established Member
                • Feb 2006
                • Williamsburg, VA
                • Ryobi BT3000

Grounding Wires

Thank ya'll for all the help. I have it all put together now and it works fine.

Papa

Comment

Working...