• Show
Clear All
  • Turaj
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    • BT3000 (1998)

Second BT in the shop and few questions

Last week I responded to an Ad for an older BT3000. From the pictures and descriptions it appeared to be from 93 or 94 (with a 13A motor). The price was right and I figured I could use it for parts. When I got there (I was the third caller but the first two did not show up after making an appointment with him ) he insisted in plugging it and turning the saw on to show me that it works. I tried raising the blade but it was very hard but again, I was only looking for parts and did not really care if everything worked! He added the original stand with castors and brand new router / jigsaw kit (they were not in the pictures and he had not mentioned them before ).

He told me that the saw was in his storage for couple of years and after seeing cob webs inside the saw I think it was there for a lot more!!! The first thing that I noticed when putting the saw in my car was that the saw had a 15A motor and was made in USA in 1995 (XXX 9538)! So, I decided to take a look inside and see if I can fix the blade raising problem. Here are three pictures from the inside:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor - before.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	797554Click image for larger version

Name:	blade - before.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	797555Click image for larger version

Name:	Top - before.jpg
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	797556

Note that the picture for the Top and motor was taken after initial cleaning with the shop vac No wonder why I couldn't move the blade! The saw dust was compacted and hardened in most cavities and all the gears!! Used a utility knife and a long screwdriver to essentially pry the saw dust. Here are couple of pictures after cleaning:

Name:	Blade - after.jpg
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	797557Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor - after.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	797560

Cleaned and lubed everything else (the blade looks almost brand new) and the bade moves up and down very easily . I then started adjusting the saw. The Rip fence was bang on but had a hard time with the SMT until I found out that it is missing part of the slides. Apparently, someone had taken one of the lower slides and use it with the other eccentric screw . I managed to get it working but the table does not slide smoothly! (I am missing a lower and an upper slide). The only other issues are cosmetics:

Name:	BT assembled.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	797558Click image for larger version

Name:	Accessory table.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	797559Click image for larger version

Name:	SMT Fence.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	797561

As you can see the Miter Fence has lost it plastic end (I may or may not replace it). Also the Accessory table has some discolouration!! The switch is under recall and I have already talked to Ryobi and a new one is on its way.

So here are couple of questions: 1) Any idea what has caused the discolouration and is there anything to do about it? 2) Anyone has made their own slides? M & D has them for 75 and 88 cents but there is $12 shipping and that only gets it to my friend in Wisconsin (I will try to see if Sears in Canada has them). 3) For those of you who use the Router Kit, how do you like it? Any issue with it?
    Turaj (in Toronto)
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

discoloration is probably oxidation of the tops of the aluminum ribs. Are the discoloration mostly just on the tops of the ribs and not between them? Looks that way, maybe a bit of the gray in-between is flaking.
    They're normally machined flat on top leaving bare aluminum. you might take some fine (150-220 grit) sandpaper and sand the tops of the ribs using a sanding block, until the tops are shiny. Then use coast of paste wax to keep it that way.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Am I seeing things. or is a piece of the aluminum housing between the blades teeth, in the second picture?
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cork58
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Wasilla, AK, USA.
        • BT3000

Will you be making a frankensaw out of them. I did a few years back and love the advantage of having a rip and crosscut saw at all times without changing blades! Does eat up some room but I have lots of that to go around.
        Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• Turaj
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • BT3000 (1998)

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          ... you might take some fine (150-220 grit) sandpaper and sand the tops of the ribs using a sanding block, until the tops are shiny. Then use coast of paste wax to keep it that way.
          Thanks Loring. Will give it a try!

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
          Am I seeing things. or is a piece of the aluminum housing between the blades teeth, in the second picture?
          I think it is just a shadow! There was a piece of wood stuck in there but no part of the housing.

Originally posted by cork58
          Will you be making a frankensaw out of them. I did a few years back and love the advantage of having a rip and crosscut saw at all times without changing blades! Does eat up some room but I have lots of that to go around.
          As I said, originally I was just thinking about parts (like a second Accessory Table) but now I am not sure what to do. A frankensaw sounds very very tempting but I don't have much room in the basement. My other option is to give it to my (wife's) nephew as he is getting into woodworking. For now I just make sure it works properly and make a few (hundred) test cuts
          Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

• jdon
            Established Member
            • Feb 2010
            • Snoqualmie, Wash.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by Turaj
            2) Anyone has made their own slides? M & D has them for 75 and 88 cents but there is $12 shipping and that only gets it to my friend in Wisconsin (I will try to see if Sears in Canada has them). 3) For those of you who use the Router Kit, how do you like it? Any issue with it?
            Yeah, shipping is a bear. Consider spreading adding other possible part needs (extra slide parts, belts, shims, rail end caps, and the missing plastic miter end piece) into a single order. More expense, but psychologically seems to help ease the pain of shipping by spreading the cost over multiple parts. Ereplacementparts.com might be a little less expensive on shipping- YMMV.

As a novice router user, I've been using the router attachment- works okay for non-critical work, until I have opportunity/time/space/resources to build or buy a real router table. I haven't used the fence option. My main criticism is that the accessory table is fairly small, and on my saw it sits slightly lower than the main table, which hinders precision with larger pieces bridging the two surfaces. (BTW, is this normal for the BT3100, or an idiosyncrasy of my saw?). Also, the saw rails and structural ribs on the bottom of the accessory table make clamping (e.g. homemade fence) awkward.

I'd classify it as an inexpensive but limited way of doing occasional routing.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
              That little piece that "looks" like it is between the teeth is also visible in the 4th pict. It actually is behind the blade but the light makes it look like it is in the teeth. You can see that "tab" looking part in the 4th picture.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

read the FAQ about the router kit.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by leehljp
                  That little piece that "looks" like it is between the teeth is also visible in the 4th pict. It actually is behind the blade but the light makes it look like it is in the teeth. You can see that "tab" looking part in the 4th picture.
                  Saw the tab in the fourth picture, and to me it looked like the blade had been pushed back in the second and the arbor was further in front on the fourth, so I was all..
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

You say the price was "right". If you are going to gloat, tell us how right.......
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• Turaj
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • BT3000 (1998)

Originally posted by Pappy
                      .... If you are going to gloat, tell us how right.......
                      Actually Don, I was trying NOT to gloat! The price for the saw and the kit was $30
                      Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

• cork58
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2006
                        • Wasilla, AK, USA.
                        • BT3000

and to think I thought I did good at $50.00, in a box, taken all apart, and missing parts!

You did very very good!!!!
                        Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• avbclark
                          • Jul 2006
                          • Cottonwood Heights, UT
                          • BT3100 and BT3000

I thought 65 was a good deal

I got a BT3000 to go with the 3100 last summer, and though the 65 was a good deal. Now considering a Frankensaw.

Comment

Working...