new fence

I'm looking into getting a new fence for my BT do you know of any good ones
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Welcome to BT3Central Neth!

On your question. Which fence are you asking about, rip fence, or miter?

The BT3x00 table saw is designed around the OE fence, but there have been aftermarket conversions. Generally speaking, attaching an aftermarket fence to a BT is going to be a challenge at best. Not impossible by any means, but certainly not easy. One of the challenges is that the table depth of the BT is about 4.5 in or so shorter than a standard cast iron full size saw. So your depth front rail to rear rail is going to be off.

Probably the most commonly known aftermarket fence designed specifically for the Ryobi BT3x00 saws is the Jointech SawTrain system. They are really nice, but tend to be a bit spendy...

Is there something you feel is lacking to your OE fence that we might be able to help you out with?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Are you thinking rip fence upgrade? or a replacement?

There aren't many upgrade paths, the few available are pretty expensive. Poobah has some recent info on using an Incra fence. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=52775 The BT fence is pretty good if everything is working properly.
      Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

excerpt from mt BT3 FAQ:

The Ryobi BT3x has a unique fence. It three-point, two-stage locking system that makes it one of the best designs compared to expensive saws with heavy rigid fences that only lock down at the front and still allow the back to wiggle a fraction of an inch. Many consider the rip fence one of the finest features of the saw.

The BT fence normally rides on the front and rear rails. Two points on the front mechanism grab the front rail when the lock handle is partially depressed. This lines the rip fence up repeatably square to the rail and parallel to the blade. As you depress the lock handle further a linkage in the rip fence pulls up on a hook in the rear mechanism that grabs a lip on the rear rail totally locking the fence in place front and back. If you grab the rear it does not wiggle at all. You should take the fence off the saw, operate the locking handle and become familiar with how this mechanism works.

If you are looking for an aftermarket fence, there are no good solutions. Jointech makes one but it costs as much as or more than the saw. Other Beisemeyer clones will not readily fit the saw and are also relatively expensive. The question should be, why do you want another fence? Based on the previous paragraph, the BT3 has a pretty good fence, when it’s working correctly. The rip fence exemplifies the saw philosophy of thinking outside the box and making a system work better for less money than classical saw components. It is lightweight, multi-point locking, using the unique rear rail and has all sorts of attachment points on the fence for custom accessories.

if you want the rest of the scoop, ask me for the FAQ (see sig line below).
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-05-2011, 07:16 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• neth
          Handtools only
          • Jun 2011

Looking for a little more percise move ment of the rip fence. Didn't know if there was a better system for them Other the the fence I love my saw. I might just have to get used to the fence.

Comment

• neth
            Handtools only
            • Jun 2011

Can not get jointech to reply to me my e-mail

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Can't say anything about Jointech, but have you looked at the Micro Adjuster for the stock fence? Sears still carries one...

I probably ought to snatch one up soon... No telling how much longer they will be around on the market...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

The micro adjust is nice. I use it a lot with my router fence (a second BT fence).

Sometimes folks will get a little movement with their rip fences when they go to clamp it down. I found that if you pull back on the handle when clamping the fence it will be much less likely to move. Putting a little bit of force on the fence keeps the fence snug to the back side of the front rail, which in turn keeps the fence positioned and square.
                Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

the microadjuster is a nice Ryobi made accessory that moves the rip fence sideways with screw adjustment precision for making precise rip width adjustments. can move it in both directions.

As DBHost points out, still sold by sear under a Craftsman label: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=1312862998963

If you can't buy one at least one member has made his own. They all clamp/lock to the BT3 front rail and use a pusher rod and screw thread to move the T-block.

The FAQ has info on the microadjuster, too.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-08-2011, 11:11 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• RodKirby
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Ha - memories

Click image for larger version

Name:	rfm01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	785794Click image for larger version

Name:	rfm02.jpg
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	785795
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	rfm04.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	785796Click image for larger version

Name:	rfm05.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	785797
                    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Nice Rod!, don't remember seeing that post.
                      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• RodKirby
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by chopnhack
                        Nice Rod!, don't remember seeing that post.
                        Can you believe: Sunday, ‎10 ‎December ‎2000, ‏‎11:47:44 AM

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

Originally posted by RodKirby
                          Can you believe: Sunday, ‎10 ‎December ‎2000, ‏‎11:47:44 AM
                          Time traveler? Look at your join date.
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by neth
                            Can not get jointech to reply to me my e-mail
                            Incra has a fence similar to the Jointech. Here's a link to the Incra saw table fence... about $400. There's also a 52" version available for a bit more...

But the microadjuster will get you just as much precision in a much smaller and less complex package for 1/10th the cost.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-09-2011, 12:03 AM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• RodKirby
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                              Time traveler? Look at your join date.
                              Yes - BUT - I was on the Ryobi site before BT3Central

(Date shown was from the pic "Properties")

Comment

Working...