• Show
Clear All
  • Skeezix
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2006
    • Colorado
    • BT3100 (Sears Equivalent)

Rip Fence Clamp Noise

My rip fence has developed a problem, even though I've only used it for a couple of days:

It clamps okay, nice and smooth, but when I release the clamp I hear a rather loud and obnoxious "click" ("clack"?) just as I begin moving the lever up. Sounds like metal snapping on metal. Is this normal and if not, what should I look for? So far I don't see any wear points but I haven't disassembled the fence yet.
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

what kind of saw/fence is it?
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

well, you can't take anything for granted but lets assume its a BT3 because he posted in the BT3x00 related Discussion group.

offhand, i have no thoughts. Its not a frequently asked question, that's for sure, and as author of the FAQ, I know most of the common questions.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Skeezix
        Forum Newbie
        • Jul 2006
        • Colorado

It's a BT3x (Sears 22811) with a standard rip fence.

Great FAQ, BTW! I found a lot of answers to a lot of my niggly questions in it.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Will it make the sound if you operate the lever while not on the saw?

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the clamp. Just recently the other rip fence I use for my router fence was having some problems getting on the rail. The clamp was closed up tight and when finally forced open it made a distinct clack.
          Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

two things happen when you move the lever
            First off it will squeeze the plastic grips to grab the front rail and align the fence.
            then as you advance the handle some more then it pulls the clamper up in the back to grab an edge of the rear rail.

So the first action usually just moves plastic. the second action moves a metal clamper maybe its slipping off the edge to make the noise That's the only metal on metal action. I guess the clamper moves a bit when the hanlde is first moved but its timed to engage the rear rail last.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Is it possible one of the rails isn't clamped down tight?
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Skeezix
                Forum Newbie
                • Jul 2006
                • Colorado

Originally posted by pelligrini
                Will it make the sound if you operate the lever while not on the saw?
                No. The lever works smoothly when the fence is off the saw. I also checked the rail locks and they are tight.

Very odd.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

The Rod and Clamper A may be moving to make this noise. How far down are you lowering the rip fence handle?
                  Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Skeezix
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Colorado

I push the lever all the way down to clamp the rip fence in place.

On page 30 of the operator's manual for Model 315.218290, Craftsman 10 inch Table Saw are instructions for "SET THE RIP FENCE SCALE INDICATOR TO THE BLADE".

The second bullet states, "Loosen the rip fence by depressing the lock and lifting the locking handle." When I loosen the rip fence, I don't depress anything, I simply lift the locking handle. Maybe that is my problem - where is the "lock" that should be depressed first? I cannot find it in Figure 37 or in the parts list for the rip fence.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

how far down does the handle go? when it first tightens and when you really push it hard. usually we express it in terms of the hour hand of a clock e.g. 3 o'clock would be sticking straight out..
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Skeezix
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Colorado

(I posted a response to the previous entry a few hours ago but I don't see it in the thread, so I'm reposting it.)

I push the locking lever all the way down (to the 5:00 position) when locking the rip fence. It won't go any farther.

I was reading the operator's guide and on page 30 is a procedure for setting the rip fence scale indicator to the blade that might have something to do with my problem. The second step reads, "Loosen the rip fence by depressing the lock and lifting the locking handle."

I couldn't find any kind of lock to depress either in the manual or on the saw, and there is no part called "lock" in the rip fence parts list. Is there such a thing or is this an error in the manual?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

there's some posts about this. I think the problem is that you or someone has pushed down too hard on the handle. I think most don't go much beyond 3 oclock.
                          What happens if depressed too hard is that a piece bends and then it won't lock the rear clamper. I think its simple to bend it back yourself but it needs to be done. I will look for it.

look at this thread.
                          This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Skeezix
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jul 2006
                            • Colorado

Thanks for the link. I printed the thread - good info!

The saw is in the shed now and the War Dept. stacked a bunch of patio furniture in front of it and it's pouring down rain now. Bummer. I'll definitely check out that rip fence.

Comment

Working...