• Show
Clear All
  • boxmaker2002
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2006
    • Rowland Heights, CA
    • BT3100

DIY BT3100 castors - help!

After having to drag my BT3100 out of the stowed position in the garage twice, I am ready to bite the bullet and make it more mobile. About two or three weeks ago I found links to several DIY efforts, some servicable but crude, and others works of art. I am unable to locate the websites, and really wish I had bookmarked them.

My main objections to the factory castors is that I don't like the looks of them projecting outward from the legs, and the cost. I didn't get the accessory kit.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Jerry Steig <igtdmbls@aol.com>
  • Warren
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Anchorage, Ak
    • BT3000

If I remember correctly, the wheels are placed on the left pair of legs (as you face the front) for mobility. The placement allows one to lift the rails on the opposite side, tilting the table onto the wheels and move the unit easily. They are out of the way, being under the sliding miter table, and (if you do not have the extended table) are a very practical solution. The extended rails have a joint which would likely bow and separate if used to lift and move the saw. At least I'm wary enough not to have tried it so, if I needed to relocate I would remove the long table and rail set.

The design means not having 4 casters of which 2 would need to lock. Also, 4 casters means less friction on the floor because of the tiny foot print of the round wheels. I like the stability of the original design. If my space was such that I needed to move the unit when not in use I'd not use the long rails, but I'd keep the 2 wheel design even if I built a custom cabinet.
    A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• jking
      • May 2003
      • Des Moines, IA.
      • BT3100

The biggest problem I have with the factory casters is because of the way the legs spread apart towards the bottom of the stand & there being nothing tying the legs together at the bottom, the wheels make the legs flex torsionally. I would much rather have a base that doesn't allow that flex to happen. Right now, I don't even have the time to build a small project. So, building the wide mobile base I've been wanting is out of the question.

Comment

• wardprobst
        • Jan 2006
        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
        • Craftsman 22811

Here and
        here
        are some articles you may find helpful.
        DP
        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I bought my saw fitted with a shop built caster / mobile base.
          The design / build specifics should be obvious from the photos...

I don't use it much, but when I do, it's priceless...

Last edited by dbhost; 03-31-2011, 04:18 PM.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• wd4lc
            Established Member
            • Nov 2008
            • Houston, TX
            • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by dbhost
            I bought my saw fitted with a shop built caster / mobile base.
            The design / build specifics should be obvious from the photos...

I don't use it much, but when I do, it's priceless...
            dbhost, thanks for posting those images in this thread. I have been wanting to build a simple mobile base for some time. I've had the following links bookmarked for sometime..

15 free mobile base plans

and of course

bt3central mobile base

...but there was never something simple enough that I felt I could tackle. Finally after searching thru the threads I came across that photo and decided to give it a go. A bit different variation. 2x4s (2x3 arm), furring strips, casters, 2-1/2" (which should probably be 2") bolts (with washers and nuts), 3" hinges and some fasteners. It's sloppy and ugly but it is effective! I dreaded taking off the side tables and lifting that thing (especially when it's usually for only a couple of feet!). This mobile base is a life changer. Thanks for posting those pics!

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

No problem. Just for full disclosure if I didn't make it clear enough above. My saw was bought used, and the previous owner, another member here, had added the mobile base. Like I said, not used often, but when used, it is a real life saver!
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• wd4lc
                Established Member
                • Nov 2008
                • Houston, TX
                • Ryobi BT3100-1

You were clear. I was thankful for the fact that you took the time to upload those photos to help the OP. Searching thru the threads and seeing those pics, it inspired me to go for it. A shout out to the previous owner who put it together as well.

Originally posted by dbhost
                No problem. Just for full disclosure if I didn't make it clear enough above. My saw was bought used, and the previous owner, another member here, had added the mobile base. Like I said, not used often, but when used, it is a real life saver!

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Russell, NY, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Aw, just bite the bullet and buy a mobile base from some supplier! HF probably has something in their stuff that would work. The original "wheels kit" which I had for a while was OK but only just! You had to give yourself a hernia every time you wanted to move it.
                  RuffSawn
                  Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• trungdok
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2012
                    • MA

Hi wd4lc,

How do you use that mobile setup? Do you push down the side with the bracket with your foot, then use your hand to push the other side down until you can push the stick into the bracket? How hard is it to push either side?

Thanks!

Comment

• toolguy1000
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • westchester cnty, ny

all these bases are modelled on the ridgid herc-u-lift. on the first one , it looks like the board secured by one screw/bolt (on the left) is stepped on and pushed downward causing the opposing board to also be pushed down. when the one screwed board contacts the oposite board, the single screwed/bolted board is slid under the bracket on the opposing board and the entire saw is raised up on the casters for mobility. really nice and simple design. gotta remember that for the future.
                      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• trungdok
                        Established Member
                        • Oct 2012
                        • MA

toolguy1000,

Yea. I like the simple design as well. The one thing I don't get is how do you push the board down. Having the BT3100, the horizontal metal bar (goes across the legs of base) is maybe 10" off from the ground, making it hard to get your foot in there to push the lever. I can't imagine sticking my leg in there, and I'm a short guy.

Comment

• eezlock
                          • Feb 2006
                          • Charlotte,N.C.
                          • BT3100

DIY BT3100 castors?

Jerry, like you I also grew tired of those worthless castors that came with my BT3100 saw too. I found an ad from Sears about their mobile machine base,
                          it is the Universal Mobile Base # 22303. I bought one because it will work
                          perfectly with the BT3100 splayed base table saw. When you put it together,
                          be sure and stretch it out to it's maximum dimensions on all four sides and the saw will just barely fit into place! I installed mine by my self, it was a little tough
                          but it worked great, has been under the saw for about 5 years and never a problem so far. It is a better alternative than some of the homemade one's I
                          have seen and didn't like nearly as well. Hope this is what you are looking for.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

I made the Herculift design for my BT3100 and my Rigid planer. I sold the saw and then bought two outboard wheel mobile bases on closeout from HD or something. I installed one on the planer stand and repurposed the castors.

What a mistake!

The DIY base could spin on a dime and was no wider than the base. The outboard wheel design only pivots on the back wheels--like a grocery cart--so it's harder to move around, and now the base takes up more shop space.

When I get around to it, I'm going back to the original design.

Comment

• jdon
                              Established Member
                              • Feb 2010
                              • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                              • BT3100

My fix: not nearly as elegant as the mobile bases already described, but a cheap, lazy way alternative.
                              I replaced the Ryobi wheels with 5" wheels from a walker I found for $3 at the local Goodwill store. Since the wheel edges nearly touch the floor, I only need to lift the saw a couple inches to move.

Comment

Working...