• Show
Clear All
  • Taylormade
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2011
    • Tampa, FL
    • Ryobi BT3000

Ugh, did I just pay $30 for SMT clips??

I picked up my BT3K with new, unopened accessory kit and 2 new unopened blades for $100. I just paid a third of that again to buy four pairs of plastic slides for the SMT.

I realize I got a great deal for the saw, but ugh. Sears charges $9 for shipping those tiny plastic parts. Ugh.

I'm hoping someone will say "Oh, you should have bought them from xxx for $4 shipped so that, in the event the SMT falls because I never use it, I'll know where to go. Thanks.

/rant and dismounting soap box.
  • Charlie R
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2007

To beat the shipping charge at Sears have a clerk order your parts. They'll ship to your home free. I ordered a $6.00 tool that they don't stock and, at the clerk's suggestion, let him order it for me, avoiding the $6.00 shipping charge I would have incurred if I had ordered on the phone or from their web site.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

Originally posted by Charlie R
      To beat the shipping charge at Sears have a clerk order your parts. They'll ship to your home free. I ordered a $6.00 tool that they don't stock and, at the clerk's suggestion, let him order it for me, avoiding the $6.00 shipping charge I would have incurred if I had ordered on the phone or from their web site.
      I didn't know that. We have a Sears Agency Store here, ie. privately owned store. I wonder if they can do that too. If I try and it works I'll let people know.

Bill
      if I moved closer to civilization I could just be out in the boonies.

Comment

• sailor55330
        Established Member
        • Jan 2010

When I rebuilt mine last year, I ordered the parts directly from Ryobi. The slides themselves came to $2.34 and I think about $5 shipping.

I don't use that saw, but it has new slides now.

Comment

• Taylormade
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2011
          • Tampa, FL
          • Ryobi BT3000

The slides aren't priced in quantities of 4, right? They're each for $2.36 right??
          It's good to know about going local. I literally have a Sears part depot within walking distance of my office. I called them and found they didn't stock the parts, so I mentally eliminated them.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

if you look at Sears, they not only have high shipping but price thepieces singly and have a minimum price, I don't think any part is below $2.36 anymore even if iots a $0.25 cent part at Ryobi.

Sears is just an expensive way to go but its convenient. Try M&D mower for cheaper piece prices and save up your order to split/spread shipping costs. perhaps look at the five thing broken most often on a BT3 and order spares of all of them at the same time.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cork58
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Wasilla, AK, USA.
              • BT3000

You might try Roberts sales and service as well.
              Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• sailor55330
                Established Member
                • Jan 2010

It was about a year since I purchased new slides. The prices have now changed.

The upper part of the slide is now $.46 and the lower is now $.97. With 4 of each, that puts the total at $5.72.

No clue what shipping is, but you can buy pretty much every part and build your own saw from scratch if you wanted to.

Comment

• Taylormade
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2011
                  • Tampa, FL
                  • Ryobi BT3000

I appreciate the feedback folks, I should have known to check Ryobi first before paying Sears' prices. Oh well, lesson learned. Hey, other than that, I'm loving this saw!

Comment

• Basstracker34
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by sailor55330
                    It was about a year since I purchased new slides. The prices have now changed.

The upper part of the slide is now $.46 and the lower is now $.97. With 4 of each, that puts the total at $5.72.

No clue what shipping is, but you can buy pretty much every part and build your own saw from scratch if you wanted to.
                    Prices are better but shipping is much worse. So Sears online is still better deal.

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

I can't speak of the slides, in particular. But, I had a real hassle with Sears when I needed new drive belts earlier this year. They don't have a clue as to how they price or whether it's just one item or one set (as in the case of the belts where you really need two).

I ordered the belts from them as they had the lowest price at the moment and they said they had them in stock and could ship immediately. As you can imagine, when the belts go in the middle of a project, one gets anxious.

Long story short, they didn't have them, couldn't ship them, and the day after they said I would receive them, I tried to cancel the order.... with they would NOT allow. Apparently they do NOT stock the parts themselves and the so-called "inventory" is only a number based on what their OEM supplier thinks. So when you place the order with Sears, they meerly pass in on to the OEM... only acting as a middleman.

I ordered from M and D Mower and got them in about a week. The Sears order (only one belt) arrived another week after that... taking over four weeks from the original order date.

I won't order from Sears again,

CWS
                      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

I steer clear of Sears for a lot of my buying. Generally speaking, they don't offer much value any more....
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Basstracker34
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jul 2011

I just need a single SMT bottom slider that's broken. I'm not paying $8 shipping for a part that goes for $.88! I'm going to see what Sears part and repair store will do. They are local and it says it's in stock online.

UPDATE: Called Sears on the phone to verify stock. They put part on hold for me to come pick up. $2.16 total plus tax.
                          Last edited by Basstracker34; 07-16-2011, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Working...