Craftsman 137.248840 same as BT3000/3100?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danielboone
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2011

Craftsman 137.248840 same as BT3000/3100?

I had about given up my search to find a used BT3x00 or a replacement motor and then I came across a slightly used Craftsman 137.248840 for sale. They look very similar. I am curious if I could interchange some BT3000 parts if I got it. Would you think $100 to $150 would be a good price?
    Attached Files
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

There are some similarities, but I seriously doubt any BT3000 part would interchange.

The Craftsman 21829, Sears Item# 00921829000, has many interchangeable parts. That saw you pictured might be similar to another Ryobi BT saw.
    Erik

Comment

• danielboone
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2011

As I looked closer at that pic I also noticed there were some differences. I think when I saw those casters it made me think they were the same. I notice the fence and miter are different & probably inferior.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

I did a little looking, and I think $100 would be a fair price for one in good condition. I think most of them sold for around $200.
        Erik

Comment

• danielboone
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2011

Thanks. I would hate to downgrade from the BT3000 even if I could get it for $100. My left hand tells me to go for the cheap $100, but my right hand says I won't be happy a year later. If I could find a great used BT3100 I would jump on it quickly, but I am not sure I have the patience to wait & wait and spend hours and hours looking for it. I have also been interested in the Ridgid R4512 at Home Depot for $500.

Comment

• toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by danielboone
            Thanks. I would hate to downgrade from the BT3000 even if I could get it for $100. My left hand tells me to go for the cheap $100, but my right hand says I won't be happy a year later. If I could find a great used BT3100 I would jump on it quickly, but I am not sure I have the patience to wait & wait and spend hours and hours looking for it. I have also been interested in the Ridgid R4512 at Home Depot for $500.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
            if you decide on the 4512, try to find a HD that honors the 20% off any single item harbor freight coupons. $400 for a 10" CI table saw with built in mobile base and registerable in the LSA is a winner. no disrespect intended here to bt3xxx owners, but once you use a saw like the 4512, you'll never look back at the ryobi.
            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

there'll be little if anything in common with the BT3 in that saw you pictured. It's a lower grade saw I think made by Ryobi but a completely different model.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

For what it's worth, have you tried taking the motor in to a shop that repairs electric motors? There are a few out there still... Might be worth fixing the one you have...

There are also new motors available through the various part sources. But they tend to be pricey as all electric motors seem to be... Take a look at M&D Mower, I believe they offer complete motor assemblies. I have also seen them come up pretty often on Ebay... (I just looked, there are 2 complete NIB OEM motor assemblies for the BT3100 on Ebay, the motor is interchangeable to the BT3000, and fixes the shim problem...)
                Last edited by dbhost; 02-18-2011, 10:14 AM.
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• wardprobst
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                  • Craftsman 22811

No disrespect to toolguy but I'm one that wouldn't prefer the Rigid to the BT. I've had some pretty heavy cast iron stuff including a Unisaw but for me the versatility, accuracy and modular construction of the BT is great. It's not as quiet but I wear ear protection no matter what. I guess it depends on what you want in a saw. The Rigid is a 13 amp, the later BTs are 15 amp so it's not a power issue. A properly setup BT is the most accurate saw I've had so far.
                  Just another opinion,
                  DP
                  www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

If you like the BT that much, the 21829 is on sale for $430 right now at Sears. It's not a $100 CL find, but you'd get a warranty with it.

I got mine a bit cheaper, and it's been great.
                    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• danielboone
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2011

Thanks ToolGuy for the suggestion!!! You just saved me $100 on the purchase of the Ridgid at Home Depot!!!! Its a fairly long story, but in a nutshell I barely got them to accept the Harbor Freight coupon I got out of a Popular Mechanics magazine. I sort of know the manager at the Pro Desk who was willing to take the coupon. I figured I better jump on the opportunity before he had second thoughts on accepting this. I don't think HD has a firm policy on these coupons and believe it is often up to the managers discretion. I called a couple Home Depots earlier and they said they don't accept them. I actually didn't notice the last few posts until just now. I appreciate your response and willingness to offer suggestions. Hopefully I made a good decision here. Thanks.

Comment

Working...