• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jnesmith
    • Jan 2003
    • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

Cutting the rails

Hello everyone:

I recently purchased the wide table kit, but really only want and need half of the additional capacity of the add-on rails.

For those that have cut the rails, how did you do it? Miter saw? Do you need a special blade? Any other considerations?

Thanks.

John
    John
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Please do not ask me how I know but carbide sawblades easily cut the aluminum extrusions on your saw.

Keep in mind you will have silver tinsel all over the place. Wear suitable eye protection.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

woodworking blade will do a fine job on aluminum without undue wear on the blades.
      A 50 or 60 or 80 tooth would be my preference. Use DC or VAC if you can or there will be aluminum chips all over the place.

You could also hack saw it and clean up with a file. But the table saw/miter saw will be much prettier.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

In addition to eye protection, a shirt with long sleeves (close fitting, though: nothing too baggy that will create a different kind of safety hazard) is a good idea. That aluminum tinsel Mark mentions is HOT.

Also be sure to clamp down the rail securely. I have found that when cutting aluminum extrusions, they have a tendency to self-feed laterally, thus producing cuts that aren't perfectly square.
        Larry

Comment

• jnesmith
          • Jan 2003
          • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

Good info.

Thanks everyone.
          John

Comment

• RodKirby
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
            • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Way back , when I cut my rails, I invested in a (Cheap), CMS that I dedicated for cutting Aluminum. AND got a "non-ferrous" negative rake blade (cost more than the saw ). One of my better investments - used often

Click image for larger version

Name:	ms3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	785544Click image for larger version

Name:	ms4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	785545
            Click image for larger version

Name:	ms5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	785546
            Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• gsmittle
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
              • BT 3100

Originally posted by LarryG
              In addition to eye protection, a shirt with long sleeves (close fitting, though: nothing too baggy that will create a different kind of safety hazard) is a good idea. That aluminum tinsel Mark mentions is HOT.
              Remember to button the top button on the shirt, too, so the hot tinsel doesn't go down. DAMHIKT.

g.
              Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
              Bill & Ted

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

The few times I have cut aluminim on the miter saw or table saw I cleaned up the cut n a disc sander. Leaves you with a very smooth finish on the cut.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• yamato72
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Apr 2009
                  • Lansing, MI

Originally posted by LarryG

Also be sure to clamp down the rail securely. I have found that when cutting aluminum extrusions, they have a tendency to self-feed laterally, thus producing cuts that aren't perfectly square.
                  +1

The standard carbide-tipped cut-off blade that came with my compound miter saw worked perfectly. Clamp it tightly and use protection.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

My 10" non sliding CMS is now dedicated to cutting non wood. It presently has a Diablo D1084L which Freud recommends for non ferrous metals, laminates etc... It cuts super smooth... Even with the OEM B&D 40T blade it left a good finish, and didn't even think of dulling the blade...
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...