• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andrew.r.w
    Established Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Canada.

Broken crank

Anyone come up with a way to replace the crank with something a bit tougher? Can you still buy a replacement from Ryobi?
    Last edited by andrew.r.w; 12-20-2010, 08:23 PM.
    Andrew
  • Sawatzky
    Established Member
    • Apr 2005
    • CA
    • Ridgid TS3650

If it is the plastic crank, I remember seeing some posts about filling the crank with epoxy and lead shot to make it stiffer and heavier. But if yours is broken, that might not work now. Grizzly has replacement crank handles. You just need to make sure they will fit the crank shaft.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

There were some posts in the summer of 2009 saying Ryobi no longer stocked the handwheels (not sure if this is even BT3000 or BT3100), which is bad news because the BT3K shaft size is an odd size (all this from my FAQ). THe FAQ has about a whole page on handwheel info.

If you find that the handwheel is indeed not available, let us know so I can update the FAQ.

See my post yesterday: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=52555
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-19-2010, 10:59 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• farkel
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2002

I am using small-sized vise grips. Not pretty or ergonomic but it works.

Comment

• andrew.r.w
          Established Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Canada.

Originally posted by farkel
          I am using small-sized vise grips. Not pretty or ergonomic but it works.
          My interim solution as well. Using the snapped-off bit to protect the shaft I am able to move the blade enough to get by for now.
          Andrew

Comment

• thetimbo
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2010

Somebody's selling those handwheels. Mine looked flimsy, so I ordered a replacement (Sears or M&D I can't remember) even though my original is still holding up.

Comment

• mrpedersen
              Forum Newbie
              • Aug 2010
              • Warburg, Alberta
              • Craftsman 315.274130

hi, If you haven't found this before this , heres a link that might help to find what you need

OEM parts and accessories for Ryobi tools. We offer complete parts lists, diagrams, tutorials and fast shipping to make repairs quick.

Glenn

Comment

• andrew.r.w
                Established Member
                • Sep 2003
                • Canada.

Originally posted by mrpedersen
                hi, If you haven't found this before this , heres a link that might help to find what you need

OEM parts and accessories for Ryobi tools. We offer complete parts lists, diagrams, tutorials and fast shipping to make repairs quick.

Glenn
                Way too cool. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/bla...-p-149475.html
                Cheap too!

I actually managed to successfully repair the broken one. I reattached the broken piece using the best epoxy technique I know of and reassembled it a little differently.

First the Epoxy Job:
                - 24-hour 2-part epoxy.
                - thoroughly warm everything to 110°F - 130°F (quite warm!).
                - measure precisely and mix thoroughly. Mix some more. Keep mixing.
                - apply plenty, and clamp. Keep it warm and don't move it until 24 hours later.
                - I piled on epoxy in the cracks and grooves making it quite a thick pile.
                It was easy to clamp the thing well with a bolt through the middle and a couple of washers. A day and a half under a heat lamp and it's solid once more.

Assembly:
                I took the orange plastic insert off and got rid of it (as far as I can tell it adds nothing, structural or otherwise). I got a longer bolt, and a big heavy flat washer to place on the outside for the screw to pull against. I don't think it's going to break again. In fact, I think if I'd put that heavy washer on before it would never have broken.

And the Real Fix:
                I cleaned and lubricated the blade-raising mechanism. Root cause of my trouble was the dirty, sticky slides.
                Andrew

Comment

• andrew.r.w
                  Established Member
                  • Sep 2003
                  • Canada.

Originally posted by mrpedersen

Glenn
                  I just went most of the way through the process of ordering the new blade adjusting handle at the link above. Apparently eReplacementParts.com is in the shipping and handling business. The part is $7 give or take, and the s&h would have put it over $30.

Scroom. I'll build one if it breaks again.
                  Andrew

Comment

• Skaning
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Nov 2010

sticking lift mechanism

The slides are always suspect on the B3 but do not forget the lift screw and the crank shaft. I just tore mine apart chasing a stif lift mechanism. slides were fine and turned out the lift screw was as well. Problem was the crank shaft itself . A little silicone lube on the inner shaft and some judicious working of the crank in and out and the problem cleared up.

Comment

• os1kne
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Atlanta, GA
                      • BT3100

Many years ago, I replaced mine with a metal one. It required an adapter that I was able to get from Sears parts for about $10. I also seem to remember needing a longer allen bolt that I got from a local hardware store.

I know that I posted the part# for the adapter at one time, but that post may be long gone. If I find the info, I'll post it.

Good luck!
                      Bill

Comment

• yzracer14
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Dec 2010

This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.

This it?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

its been said here that the adapter (#36) that makes the 22811 saw handwheel fit the BT3000/3100 shaft is no longer available. I just checked the Sears site and here is the info: "We're Sorry that part is no longer available. No alternate or substitute part has been recommended by the manufacturer."
                          (Note that the adapter is no longer available AND the locking lever is no longer available either!)

This adapter takes the wheel made for a 3/8" diameter shaft and makes it fit the 7/16" Square end of the BT3 Shaft.

Anybody know offhand the part numbers for the BT3100 and BT3000 handwheels?
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-22-2010, 10:53 PM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Anyone know of any machinists that are up to the task of fabbing up some of those adapters. The handwheel is my biggest peeve with my BT3100
                            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
                              Anyone know of any machinists that are up to the task of fabbing up some of those adapters. The handwheel is my biggest peeve with my BT3100
                              There are any number of handwheels available. If you're gonna have a machinist make some adapters, we should do a bit of research and make it for a standard handwheel. Probably 3/8" shaft is standard, but we should see whats cheap in a graingers catalog or something like it.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...