• Show
Clear All
  • Skeezix
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2006
    • Colorado
    • BT3100 (Sears Equivalent)

Ripping 2x2s

I have a lot of 2x2s 8 feet long. I need 1x2s. I thought I'd ask - is there someplace in this forum that would describe how to do this?
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Not sure if it's been discussed before, probably something similar though for sure.

I'd use a decent low tooth count ripping blade, set the fence at a little less than 3/4", and use a featherboard to keep it snug to the fence. It would be too tight a clearance to use my guard, but the splitter would be left in and I would use my pair of grrippers to move the material (a push shoe could be used instead). Infeed and outfeed support would be in use too.

You're not going to get 3/4" boards out of your 2x2s as you have to take into consideration the thickness of your blade kerf.
    Erik

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah right here. Set your fence for 3/4", use a featherboard to hold the stock against the fence, set your blade height, and start cutting. Push through using a good quality push stick, and be VERY careful when doing so...

1x2 nominal is 3/4x1-1/2". You can get 1 1x2 out of a 2x2. The kerf waste on the other side would make the other side 1/16" to 1/8" too narrow depending on if you use a thin kerf or full kerf blade...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Yea, I should have said you wouldn't get two 3/4" strips.

If they didn't have to be exactly 3/4" I'd just split it in half. I've done that before. If I needed to do a lot, like a dozen or so 2x2s. I'd probably sell them and go buy the 1x's.

I'd probably bolt on my long rip fence too.
        Erik

Comment

• Larryl
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Lorena, TX, USA.
          • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

+1 on all the suggestions and I might recommend a featherboard also be used to hold the stock down on the table as well as against the fence. Stock that thin and light can ride up the back side of the blade as it exits the cut in an instant and become airborne.
          I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Larryl
            +1 on all the suggestions and I might recommend a featherboard also be used to hold the stock down on the table as well as against the fence. Stock that thin and light can ride up the back side of the blade as it exits the cut in an instant and become airborne.
            Good point!
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

1. featherboard to keep the stock against the rip fence.
              1A. Outfeed table
              2. make a sacrificial push shoe to push the end of the 2x2 all the way past the blade. e.g. a 8" 2x4 with a hangover piece on the end to push the end through. The 2x4 will and the tail piece get scored each pass.
              3. if you have a lot, get a helper on the outfeed side to takeawy the cut pieces once you've pushed them past the blade. Having to clear the cut pieces is the most hazardous operation casuing slow down and shortcuts and reaching over the blade.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

I would check all the stock first to see if they are all the same size before you plan your fence measurement. Besides all the comments on featherboards on the side and top, an outfeed support of any kind would help. I'm not in favor of a helper, as they can get you in trouble. All they have to do is pull a little skew one way or another.

I would use a 24T or a 32T ripping blade and set it higher than the stock. The higher it's set the more it helps to cut down on the stock, and the cutting angle is less than if it's just above the stock. Cutting like that there is less blade contact with the wood.

Comment

• jussi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007

Make sure the featherboard is before/behind the blade. If you don't already have a rip blade I suggest Freud LU87R010

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU87R010.../dp/B0000225UH
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Skeezix
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Colorado
                    • BT3100 (Sears Equivalent)

Thank you all for the comments. I think I'll be better off (i.e. safer) to just buy the stock I need.

Comment

Working...