X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

Starting/pivot pin for router table attachment

When routing while not using the router fence, I was always taught to use a pivot pin to feed the work into the blade. The BT3xx doesn't have that option. Has anyone ever drilled a hole into their table and made one?

Just curious?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

An alternative to drilling the hole in the table top is to clamp a pointed stick to the table and use the end of the stick as a pivot point.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sailor55330
      Established Member
      • Jan 2010

Do you have any suggestions for getting a solid clamping surface? Seems like everytime I clamp, the clamp doesn't bite square and ends up popping off.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

The times I've clamped items to surfaces like the Accessory Table is not to clamp it on the edge, but to use the surface on the other side of the lip. This needs clamps with longer jaws and/or a spacer block on the underside. I used to use some 4" Quick Grips http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-59400CD-.../dp/B00005RHP0 on my iron drill press and sometime the accessory table.
        Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by sailor55330
          Do you have any suggestions for getting a solid clamping surface? Seems like everytime I clamp, the clamp doesn't bite square and ends up popping off.
          Yes, the aux/router table has a lip. Take a small block of 1x2 wood about 3-4 inches long, place it under the table and hold in place while setting the clamp so the jaw rests on the wood block. the wood should be thicker than the lip tall so the clamp will rest on the block of wood on the underside of the table thru the table and the other clamp foot on the top or on the stick with the pointer on top. Thus making a stable platform all the way thru at least as wide as the clamp feet.

As for dillling a hole in the Aux table, I think its too thin to support a pin without the pin wobbling. You would have to glue a block (hardwood OK) under the table to extend the hole to at least 1/4" maybe 3/8" to be stable.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-14-2010, 11:05 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sailor55330
            Established Member
            • Jan 2010

Thanks for the tips. I'd rather not drill the table if possible.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by sailor55330
              When routing while not using the router fence, I was always taught to use a pivot pin to feed the work into the blade. The BT3xx doesn't have that option. Has anyone ever drilled a hole into their table and made one?

Just curious?
              The previous owner of my BT3100 did just that. I wasn't 100% happy with what was used for a pivot pin (plastic) so I replaced it with a machine screw and a smallish stainless steel bushing from the hardware store. It works pretty well...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Rand
                Established Member
                • May 2005
                • Vancouver, WA, USA.

I drilled mine and tapped the hole. For a starting pin I cut the hex head off of a small bolt. It was pretty easy to do and it works.
                Rand
                "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

Working...