Clear All
  • steveg
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2010
    • Norman, OK
    • Craftsman 315.228110 (Ryobi BT3000)

Hello, new member here, two questions, one for LCHIEN specifically

Hello all --

I'm new to the forum, and now the owner of my first table saw -- a Craftsman 315.228110. I bought this saw used at a garage sale, and it appears to be in very, very good condition; looks to have been barely used. Once I found out that this saw is basically the Ryobi BT3000, and did some digging on the internet, I found this forum! What a wealth of info this site has proven to be. I have many questions, regarding the set-up of this saw, and hope to become a knowledgeable user of the saw, but will continue to read for awhile all the information available here. After 4 years of wood shop in high school (20 years ago), I haven't used a table saw since -- but have maintained a love of woodworking, and have dabbled a bit since then. I have alot of catching up to do!

In any case, I do have a couple of questions at this point:

1. In trying to get used to what accessories are out there for this saw, the dual-slot miter table seems to me like it might be a useful addition -- thoughts?

2. LCHIEN -- on the forums, I saw links to a BT3x "FAQ" that you had posted long ago. The links, of course, no longer work, but I found it on the "internet archive/wayback machine." Any chance you would/could re-post that somewhere, or send a copy to me?

Thanks!

Steve
    Last edited by steveg; 05-16-2010, 03:38 PM.
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Welcome to the site. I'm not Loring, but just send him a PM, asking for the FAQ. It is a wealth of information.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

Loring will only e-mail it to you so include your e-mail address in the PM.

Bill

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Welcome aboard! I'm pretty much convinced the sum of all human knowledge is represented here.

As to your questions, I have the miter slot table installed on my machine, It came free when I purchased the saw. I haven't used it for anything other than securing a feather board yet. I'm sure you'll get other opinions.

I think the micro adjuster and the wide table kit are probably the most useful accessories you can get for the saw.

Definitely PM Loring for the FAQ. I got it after using the BT3000 for over 10 years and still learned quite a bit.
        Chr's

Comment

• bigstick509
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Macomb, MI, USA.
          • BT3100

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

go to the private message forums at http://www.bt3central.com/private.php
            and leave me a message with your e-mail addy.

among around 100 other topics the accessories for the saw are discussed in some detail.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-16-2010, 09:04 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

WElcome to the Asylum, Steve! A weath of information here.

As to the dual miter slots, I use them guide the runners on jigs.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• steveg
                Forum Newbie
                • May 2010
                • Norman, OK

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

twistsol -- I think you may be right, from what I can tell, about "the sum of all human knowledge" being here on this forum! Can you tell me a bit more about the "wide table kit," or where I can find a picture of it?

A couple of other questions:

In the years of taking wood shop back in high school, I never used any "jigs," or feather boards, or anything. All the cuts we made were simply by hand, using a push stick. So I am certainly not a "sophisticated" user. Like I said, I have alot of catching up to do!

For years, I've wanted to buy a table saw, to start making some small pieces of furniture, etc. But what pushed me over the edge and got me to finally buy is a theater/media room project I'm working on right now in our home. It was a completely unfinished space, and I'm currently finishing the drywall stage, so the trim carpentry comes next. I know I'll be ripping 8' pieces of 3/4" oak, and I'm wondering if purchasing two of these Craftsman roller stands shown here might be a possible way to infeed/outfeed these oak boards for this project.

Finally, can anyone recommend a thread, or internet link, or anything which they feel is the best way to go about squaring up the blade, rip fence, and miter fence? I have found some information on the forum about this, and from this infomration I think I understand that this saw is somewhat unique in terms of squaring it -- is this correct? I was curious to know if anyone has an opinion as to what they feel is the best way to go about this.

Thanks!

Steve

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by steveg
                  Can you tell me a bit more about the "wide table kit," or where I can find a picture of it?
                  The wide table kit is a rail extension package consisting of front and back rails, 4 connector plates, stamped t-nuts and bolts. There's also a leg kit for supporting the rail extensions. Sears still offers the leg kit, and the previously mentioned micro-adjuster.

I've got a set of half rails (full size rails cut in half) on my 21829. I also have a couple of leg kits and a set of extension rails that I will connect on occasion. The half-rails give me about all the rail width I usually need. I couldn't leave a full size extension on mine anyways and still move it in and out of my shed.

You can see the extensions and table legs in this post: http://www.bt3central.com/showpost.p...92&postcount=7
                  Erik

Comment

• steveg
                    Forum Newbie
                    • May 2010
                    • Norman, OK

Pelligrini --

That's quite a customization job you did there on your saw. Very nice!

I presume that is useful for cutting large sheets (plywood, etc.), or for cross-cutting longer boards? A question -- where do you get the "table-top" portion of the kit? You said it comes with rails, connector plates, and nuts/bolts...

Steve

Comment

Working...