Miter Fence - how to add fence additions...?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack Beale
    Handtools only
    • May 2010
    • Florida - near Sarasota
    • BT-3100

Miter Fence - how to add fence additions...?

I have a BT-3100 and am very pleased with it as a homeowner tool -- accurate, versitile and won't rust here in FL.

I'd like to add a fence to the BT miter fence to accommodate sliding additional fences (L/R) and things like box finger jointing apparati.

I"m reluctant to start drilling holes in the existing fence. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get some tips on what others are doing, please...? I've searched the BT3Central fourms without locating helpful and I've done general Google searches without success as well.

Thanks for the tips...
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Check out t-nuts.com, be sure to follow the link at the top of the main forum page here. They carry some small square nuts that fit into the slot on the face of the fences. There are some hex bolts that can fit the slots too.

There's a few photos of my woodsmith box joint jig on my miter fence in this thread. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=50102 There are two machine screws that go into the small t-nuts on the fence through the attachment block, then the jig attaches to the block.

Another option is using fence clamps like the ones in this review: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=49791
    Last edited by pelligrini; 05-14-2010, 08:54 AM.
    Erik

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new saw! Private message (PM) Loring for his excellent .pdf reference on this saw. As for the fence, it is slotted to accept t-nut style washers that have machine screw threads attached (as posts or separate) that you can use to attach auxiliary materials to the fences (both miter and main fence) I am sure others will chime in here with there experiences shortly. Again welcome
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Jack Beale
        Handtools only
        • May 2010
        • BT-3100

Tx chopnhack

Thanks for the welcome.

I'll have to admit that the saw is not "new". I've owned, and used, it for several years.

Right now, I'm into someting called "torsion boxes" that require a vertical half-lap joint. When you have half a dozen pieces in each direction (imagine an egg-crate here), cutting accuracy gets important.

The jig I built is more of a "shop-aid" - I want something better.

Comment

• Jack Beale
          Handtools only
          • May 2010
          • BT-3100

pelligirni -- thanks...

Thanks for the tips.

The www.t-nuts.com is very promising...

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

this page on the t-nuts website is always a little bit hidden to me... but explains what nuts from his site you need for the different positions on the BT3x saws.

the small nuts on the right fit the SMT front side slot; there are also nuts for the top slot and back side slot.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...