X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phi1l
    • Oct 2009
    • Madison, WI

Originally posted by phi1l
    This, of course, has to be the ultimate box joint jig.
    OOps. wrong link THIS is the ultimate one.
    Last edited by phi1l; 03-24-2010, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

I like that one. Very nice.
      Lee

Comment

• Tony Caro
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        took a quick look at that one. Suwat forgot an important note: the drill bit must be the same width as the saw blade or the slot will grow or shrink as he moves on down.
        Loring is 100% correct. My tablesaw setup won't take dado blades and I have been looking for a jig that I could use with the standard blade.
        Suwat's article is lacking in detail (particularly about having the drill bit measure exactly the same diameter as the saw blade) so I measured my saw blade (about 2.5mm), inserted a 2.5 mm drill bit and guess what? Accumulated error on every finger. The blade acutally cuts a kerf of just under 3mm so I went through a number of drill bits that were close to this measurement but found accumulated errors with all of them. I found a nail which was pretty close to the kerf measurement and have used that (as a reference) and this gives me very tight fingers but at least it's something, I then take to the joints with a chisel for a nice fit. It is long-winded but I will get a proper table saw with dado capability in my next life.
        Hope this saves someone some time if they make a jig like this.

Comment

• os1kne
          • Jan 2003
          • Atlanta, GA
          • BT3100

Some very nice jigs. It's always interesting to see the different jigs. I've been meaning to get around to building a box joint jig for several years. There seems to be dozens of good designs for box joint jigs - that range from very simple to very complex.
          Bill

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Here's a link to the basic box joint jig I built.

It works pretty easily, and is bug ugly... I need to make some changes to the design though, I am considering setting it up on a base / runner to ride in the miter slot table instead of using the SMT.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Tony Caro
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Tony Caro
              Loring is 100% correct. My tablesaw setup won't take dado blades and I have been looking for a jig that I could use with the standard blade.
              Suwat's article is lacking in detail (particularly about having the drill bit measure exactly the same diameter as the saw blade) so I measured my saw blade (about 2.5mm), inserted a 2.5 mm drill bit and guess what? Accumulated error on every finger. The blade acutally cuts a kerf of just under 3mm so I went through a number of drill bits that were close to this measurement but found accumulated errors with all of them. I found a nail which was pretty close to the kerf measurement and have used that (as a reference) and this gives me very tight fingers but at least it's something, I then take to the joints with a chisel for a nice fit. It is long-winded but I will get a proper table saw with dado capability in my next life.
              Hope this saves someone some time if they make a jig like this.
              One other thing about this jig that you should bear in mind if you're going to use it is that it is hard to fine tune/adjust. It's hard to use a shim because the reference pin has such a small bearing surface. It's difficult to micro-adjust so that you get that "perfect fit" like you may be able to with other jigs.

Comment

Working...