• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

BT3 Box Joint Jig?

Has anyone made a box joint jig for their BT3? I have a DMST, but no miter gauge. I know I could make or buy a runner, but has anyone made a jig using the SMT? I guess I can't see how to set it up against a constant reference point.
    Joe
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

I've done it, but it wasn't pretty. A box-joint jig should be a pretty tight setup and I found the long reach from the SMT accross the MST to the blade offered too much slop. A sled made to run in the MST might be a good alternative. I'm currenlty using a miter guage in the MST and it seems to be working ok.

In any case you should think about how to adjust the jig. If you use the SMT you could mount it to the SMT fence using Jeff's nuts (t-nuts.com). Make the screw holes a little large to allow for adjustment.

After you break it down you'll have to realign in order to set it up again. I'm pretty sure you're going to find that's the case no matter what configuration you decide on.

JR
    JR

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Lee (Stytooner) has done so years ago. It was called the Lynn's Jig and he at one time had info on his website.

I've always just used my router table along with my jig.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• John Fox
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2010

Pretty good box joint jig

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by John Fox
          Looks somewhat like Stytooners. I like the video - thanks! I really need to make me one, but I won't have time to use it until this time next year at the earliest.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
            • May 2003
            • Orlando, FL, USA.
            • BT3000

Here is the link to Lynn's jig on Lee's site ...

Although you can use a standard saw blade (flat top grind is best), I use a dado blade.

Cut some test box joints with the dado blade. Turn the knob on the jig in full-turn multiples. Check the fit. Remove chippers and/or add shims to make the joints perfect. Cut and test the fit again. Record the set up for future projects.

I really like this jig.

- Lonnie
            OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• dkerfoot
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2004
              • Holland, Michigan
              • Craftsman 21829

Suwat Phruksawan has a very simple one that should work for you:

Doug Kerfoot
              "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
              "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
              KeyLlama.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dkerfoot
                Suwat Phruksawan has a very simple one that should work for you:

http://woodworking.phruksawan.com/bo...Jig/index.html
                took a quick look at that one. Suwat forgot an important note: the drill bit must be the same width as the saw blade or the slot will grow or shrink as he moves on down.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-14-2010, 11:25 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

I use my SMT with the Shopsmith boxjoint jig attached to a second miter fence I have. Alignment with the shopsmith jig is pretty easy. When I put the miter attached to the jig on the SMT all I really need to do is make sure the opening in the jig and miter fence will move clear of the blades. The jig is adjustable as to where the reference pins are and the width of them.

I prefer to use my Freud box joint set. It will cut 1/4" or 3/8" widths very cleanly and easily. I knocked out a few storage boxes for my stains & finishes this weekend.
                  Attached Files
                  Erik

Comment

• dkerfoot
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Holland, Michigan
                    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    took a quick look at that one. Suwat forgot an important note: the drill bit must be the same width as the saw blade or the slot will grow or shrink as he moves on down.
                    Hi Loring,

Not sure I follow. With his instructions, everything is indexed off the one side of the drill bit. I haven't used it, but in my own head the geometry works just fine. That I know all too well is no guarantee of anything, but Workbench Mag purchased the plan, which inclines me to believe it should work as advertised. But perhaps we are all missing something.
                    Doug Kerfoot
                    "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                    KeyLlama.com

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

I built a Lynns jig variation for the bt. First I asked myself just how large of a piece of material would I ever need, not wanting to build a small apartment size jig. I think that I reduced the size to hold a 12 inch wide board, maybe 6 inches thick. That way there is not so much mass swinging on the smt. It sets over and clamps to the smt fence and also bolts through the long slot in the smt. There is a little deflection, so it needs to be operated from the same hand hold all the time to keep from varying the deflection that there is. One of the main thing that I did do was to put a blade guard on the back of the jig to cover the blade when the jig is passed over it. It works well and is a jig that I will keep and use in the shop.

capncarl

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dkerfoot
                        Hi Loring,

Not sure I follow. With his instructions, everything is indexed off the one side of the drill bit. I haven't used it, but in my own head the geometry works just fine. That I know all too well is no guarantee of anything, but Workbench Mag purchased the plan, which inclines me to believe it should work as advertised. But perhaps we are all missing something.
                        Maybe I missed something but I clearly see 2 consecutive pictures (actually in reverse order in the article) where both sides of the bit are used to define the width and the text says to place the first cut slot over the bit all the way to one side of the bit and then make the cut then slide the wood all the way to the opposite side of the bit.
                        So both the picture and the text indicate to me to use both sides of the bit.

Or look at it this way: if the bit was infinitesimally thin, then the 2nd slot would be the first slot width + 1 kerf.
                        If the bit was the same size as the slot, then the 2nd slot would be one kerf wide.
                        Only if the bit was one kerf wide , would the 2nd slot be the same width as the first.

Here's the part of the article:
                        ---------------

To cut the second notch, I place the first notch over the drill bit and push it somewhat tightly against one side of the notch before I start the cut. Then I slid the piece to the opposite side and make another cut. At this point I'd have defined both side of the second notch exactly the same width as the first.

By sliding the piece slightly left-to-right before pushing forward to the blade, I can quickly clean up the remaining wood out of the notch. Then, I'll be ready to cut the next one.
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-15-2010, 09:12 AM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• kramer katt
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • SO CAL, USA
                          • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

Loring,
                          you are correct about the drill as index.
                          Since he (Suwat) didn't mention why the use of a drill bit instead of just a nail or pin
                          we can maybe suppose that given available range of bit sizes was the reason.
                          In his photos the bit looks pretty close to the kerf width.
                          And from your quick observation, that was a pretty essential point to leave out.
                          kk
                          Last edited by kramer katt; 03-24-2010, 01:38 PM. Reason: added thought
                          Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
                          --Albert Einstein

Comment

• steve-norrell
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • The Great Land - Alaska
                            • BT3100-1

Here is a simple box joint jig that I downloaded from the Router Workshop a couple of years ago. I made mine out of MFD instead of UHMW plastic, but I think the UHMW would be better in the long run, especially if you use it a lot. It was relatively easy to make and has served me well since.

On the Router Workshop we use spacer fences to make decorative box joints, dovetail splices, and sliding dovetails. When making box joints with a spacer fence remember the bit, the fence and the space (between the fence and the bit) are equal. The only two things that can go wrong with a box joint is it can be too tight or too loose. In this router tip we learn the basic principals of the box joint as well as the spacer fence set up!

Lately, Rockler and MLCS (among others) have since come out with jigs that are very similar in design.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• phi1l
                              • Oct 2009
                              • Madison, WI

This, of course, has to be the ultimate box joint jig.

Comment

Working...