X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trouper
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

3100 doesn't shut off

I noticed today that the power switch is somehow faulty. The saw stays on regardless of the switch position. What are my options? Is there a replacement part? Ryobi's web site doesn't load today for me at all. I prefer not to use the saw until I fix the switch.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Sounds like the contacts inside the switch might be welded together. You can order a new switch online from M&D Mower. I'm curious about why this may have happened, as the switch has a good duty cycle, and the contacts are reliable at typical loads... Were you doing some severe work with the saw at the time of the failure? Do you possibly have an extension cord hooked up to power your saw, or something else that might lead to low voltage (and thus extra current draw)? It would after all be unfortunate if your new switch failed in a similar manner...

If the saw is a unit you recently purchased from someone else, maybe there will be no answers for the above questions, but at least you'll know perhaps why the saw was on the market...

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

This was a problem on some 3100's. Ryobi was good about standing behind them according to others that had the problem.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • On the TARDIS
        • BT 3100

Seeing as this problem is not uncommon, has anyone replaced it with some other type of switch?( something that is a little less likely to weld)
        From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
          • Dec 2005
          • Russell, NY, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Guess this isn't an isolated incident. I've replaced my switch a couple of years ago. Am in the process of changing it again for a "panic" stop type switch, and am moving it to where it should be, on the left side of the saw case. I have the power cord running into a standard receptacle that is switch controlled; then to the motor. This gives me an extra safety feature; I pull the plug to the motor whenever I am doing any blade changes, etc.
          RuffSawn
          Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• tommyt654
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2008

Unplug it from the wall.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

From what I understand, this switch problem was on the BT3100 (Push button switch) and not the BT3100-1 (paddle style switch). I have heard that Ryobi will send out a new switch. Not sure if it is for that or a different issue. Call Ryobi and find out...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• kevincan
                Established Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Central Illinois
                • Craftsman 21829

I had the same problem with my Sears 21829 (Sears version of BT3100). I contacted Ryobi instead of Sears and had a replacement sent out.

Do a search on switch failure here on the forum. There should be a lot of info available.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

some 3100's had an "underdesigned" switch - the contacts weld shut after repeated use - should be replaced for free by calling the Ryobi customer service 1-800 number with your date code or serial number from the back of the saw.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LYU370
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2005
                    • Streamwood, IL.

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
                    Seeing as this problem is not uncommon, has anyone replaced it with some other type of switch?( something that is a little less likely to weld)
                    I got tired of taking my switch apart to clean it. Replaced it several years ago with a switch from Sears. Haven't had a problem since. Found the old post I made couple years back and it looks like they don't make that model anymore, but they do have a replacement.

Here's my switch...
                    Attached Files
                    Andy

Comment

• mclear
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2007

This happened to me. Take the switch off, take it apart and put it back together. It fixed the problem for me. i had to unplug the saw the when it happened to me. I haven't had a problem since

Comment

• MK
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jul 2005

Call Ryobi and they will send you a better designed replacement. Same thing happened to mine about a year or so ago. I have the newer model (bought it just before HD stopped carrying it) with the paddle switch and it welded shut eventually.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by mclear
                          This happened to me. Take the switch off, take it apart and put it back together. It fixed the problem for me. i had to unplug the saw the when it happened to me. I haven't had a problem since

It'll probably work for a while then reoccur.
                          You can make it last longer by paralleling the second unused set of contacts cutting the current in half through each contact.

But the real solution is the new switch from Ryobi that has better plating ont he switch contacts to minimize the metal transferred when the swithc is opened and the inductive kick makes some additoinal current flow when breaking the contacts.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2007
                            • Buena Park, CA
                            • CM 21829

Does anyone know if there's a problem with leaving the switch "welded" in the ON position for regular use, if you've installed an additional switch (similar to what LYU370 did), but put in line between the saw switch and the saw's outlet/cord assembly?
                            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
                              Does anyone know if there's a problem with leaving the switch "welded" in the ON position for regular use, if you've installed an additional switch (similar to what LYU370 did), but put in line between the saw switch and the saw's outlet/cord assembly?
                              probably won't hurt anything. But I'd consider it bad form to have a non functional live switch - could cause confusion if anyone else was ever to use the saw for whatever reason.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...