• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

FIXED: Rip fence no longer lifts and tilts

It’s fixed! Thanks to two forum members, J.D. “eccentrictinkerer” and to Ray Girling, the rip fence on my BT3000 no longer lifts when I lock it down. It’s had the problem for years. With their permission, I've combined their words, photos, and diagrams into one post so that the thread can be found in future searches by forum members who need to fix a fence that lifts. There may be other reasons that a fence lifts when locked down, and there may be other fixes. This is the one that worked for me. If the problem returns, I'll update the post.

THE PROBLEM:
    My rip fence lifted when I locked it in position. The fence would start to lock when the Locking Handle was at about 2:00 o’clock when viewed from the left side of the saw. It fully locked when the Locking Handle was at 4:00 o’clock. As the Locking Handle approached the 3:00 o’clock position, “Clamper-A (#23)” pushed downward against the plastic “Plate (#27)” which caused the fence and the Front Block (#28) to lift about 1/16”. Usually, one side of the Front Block would then be pushed down to touch the rail and the other side would rotate up. As a result, the face of the rip fence would no longer be perpendicular to the table.

NOTE: Some forum members tell me that their handle rotates below horizontal (3:00 o'clock) but their fences don't lift.

Diagram from Ray Girling www.raygirling.co.uk

THE CAUSE:
    “eccentrictinkerer” diagnosed the problem. The tip of “Clamper-A” was bent. Probably from moving the Locking Handle down way too far at some time. Also the top 2/3 of the plastic Plate was indented by “Clamper-A”

THE WRONG FIX:
    I tried compensating for the bent “Clamper-A” by adjusting the Screw (#5) inward in “Clamper-B” (#6) on the outfeed end of the fence. I also replaced the plastic Plate with a new one. It helped a little, but made the fence extremely hard to remove.

Some forum members have stated that the lifting problem can be caused by wax on the front rail. I can't see how this will cause the problem. FYI, there is no wax on my front rail.

THE REAL FIX:
    1) Remove plastic Plate (#27).

2) Unscrew the Locking Handle. Just grab and unscrew. Don’t try to use a wrench on the hex-head at its base. (It’s plastic and will round over) The handle prevents the Pin (#24) from being removed.

3) Drift out the Pin (#24) that holds “Clamper-A” and the Eccentric Roller (#20) in the Front Block.

4) Remove “Clamper-A” from the Front Block and remove the Eccentric Roller from “Clamper-A”. Note which side of the Eccentric Roller holds the Rubber Plug (#21) so that you can reassemble everything correctly.

5) Bend the tip of “Clamper-A” straight if it is bent. Here is “eccentrictinkerer's” description of how he straightens the tip:
    "I researched the site and found a drawing and explanation that helped me fix the problem. (It may have been in Loring's FAQ.)
    It's easy to straighten the 'clamper'. Clamp the tip in a vise and tap it a few times with a hammer. I've straightened 5 of these and none have bent back. I go easy on the fence handle. You don't need much force to lock a fence if everything is set up correctly. BTW, if the end is bent, the adjustment screw can never correct the problem."

This is a bent “Clamper-A”

This is the same “Clamper-A” when straightened.

Photos by J.D. “eccentrictinkerer”

6) While it’s apart, you may try to repair the “Rubber Plug” (#21) that holds the Locking Handle up when not in use. I didn’t repair it, so I don’t know if it is possible.

7) Reassemble the parts into the Front Block. Put a drop of blue LocTite on the threads of the Locking Handle. Replace the plastic Plate with a new one if available.

8) Adjust the Screw (#5) in Clamper-B” (#6) to engage the rear rail correctly. When you lower the Locking Handle, the plastic Plate on the Front Block should press against the front rail, lock the Front Block to the front rail, and bring the fence parallel to the blade. Then “Clamper-B” will lock the rear of the fence to the rear rail as you finish moving the Locking Handle.

Make sure that “Clamper-B” mates with the rear rail correctly. Here is Ray Girling’s diagram and description …

Diagram from Ray Girling www.raygirling.com]

“Diagram "A" shows the correct method of fitting the fence to the rear rail, and the "angle of attack" means that the clamper usually needs its adjusting screw to be slacked right off first.

Hold the fence at an angle of around 35 - 40 degrees to the table (operating handle uppermost) and make sure that the clamper slides in and under the inner lip of the rear rail, then lower the front of the fence down onto the front rail, making sure that the clamper remains as at "A." When the clamper works correctly, it operates as in diagram "B."

Diagram “C” shows an incorrectly fitting clamper.

Put a drop of blue LocTite on the threads of the Screw when it is adjusted correctly.

You should not have to realign the fence after making the repairs.

My Locking Handle now locks the fence in position shortly before it reaches the horizontal position (3:00 o'clock) and the fence doesn’t lift. The process took about 30 minutes. Thanks to forum members for showing me how to fix the problem. I’m happy.

- Lonnie
    Last edited by Lonnie in Orlando; 12-21-2009, 10:19 PM.
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Another satisfied customer... I'm wondering how many of us will give out before our BT's do...

Comment

• Salty
      • Feb 2006
      • Akron, Ohio

Thank you Lonnie.

I am going to spend some time on this over the long weekend. I have had some trouble with mine not staying at 90 degrees and was going to take it apart. Now I have another reason to.
      This is a very well written and very informative instruction page.

Well done and thanks again.

Salty
      Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Thanks for report on how the fix worked. (And to JD and Ray) I need to work on my fence, too.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• Ron P.
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2008
          • Navarre Ohio
          • Ryobi BT300

Thanks for the report, noticed my handle is not in the correct position when locked,will checked it futher tommarrow.

The knowledge in this site is great
          Ron

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
            • Aug 2007
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • BT-3000, 21829

Thanks for putting all the info in one post.

Now I understand why it works!
            You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
            of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Maybe you should submit this to Loring for the FAQ's or we should move this to the articles section.

Glad to hear you got it working.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I am planning on digging into both of my fences as they both lock too low, and I always thought that to be a bit funny.

Hopefully I will be able to get this straight very soon...

FWIW, I am not experiencing lifting, but lock is happening with the lever WAY too low...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• RayintheUK
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2003
                  • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
                  FWIW, I am not experiencing lifting, but lock is happening with the lever WAY too low...
                  That's more than likely the cross-head screw on the rear clamper needs screwing in a bit. If not, it'll be clamper "A" slightly bent, for sure. I''d try the screw first, though.

Ray
                  Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
                    • May 2003
                    • Orlando, FL, USA.
                    • BT3000

Ray makes a good point. Try adjusting the screw in Clamper-B first. If that works, there is no need to disassemble the Front Block. I tried adjusting the screw, but it did not fully compensate for the bent Clamper-A in my fence.

- Lonnie
                    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I would tend to agree with that only because, when I had the front block disassembled for replacement a couple of months ago, I did not see the piece you are referring to as bent, but rather straight on the BT3100 fence.

I have not had the BT3000 fence apart yet...

As an aside, I am still looking for an affordable way to either get the 13 amp motor fixed, or replaced so I can get the BT3000 to a charity program. I had hoped for prior to Thanksgiving, but it looks like some time after New Years is the target date now... Anyone have suggestions? I don't mind putting a little bit into this, but not a ton of money... Just don't have it right now.
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Jerry P.
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2010
                        • Baton Rouge, LA
                        • 199? BT3000

Lonnie,
                        Great post! I learned a lot from all involved.
                        I need replacement parts for my rip fence. Sears will only sell the whole assembly, (about $73.00). All I need is part#7. I found a website, "Roberts Sales & Service", that
                        apparently sells the fence parts individually. Have you heard of it?

Thanks
                        Jerry

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Jerry P.
                          Lonnie,
                          Great post! I learned a lot from all involved.
                          I need replacement parts for my rip fence. Sears will only sell the whole assembly, (about $73.00). All I need is part#7. I found a website, "Roberts Sales & Service", that
                          apparently sells the fence parts individually. Have you heard of it?

Thanks
                          Jerry
                          Jerry,

Never heard of them. I would suggest though that you look up M and D Mower, they have a pretty decent parts lookup for the Ryobi part #s, and sell the pieces / parts.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2007
                            • Sunshine State
                            • BT3000

I have not heard of them either. Suggest you give them a try, since it is a relatively small item, and be sure to let them know that you will be posting the results on a large forum, chock full of heavily armed and mentally unstable BT devotees...

Comment

• Jerry P.
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jan 2010
                              • Baton Rouge, LA
                              • 199? BT3000

Eccentrictinkerer has the part I need and we're working out details.

dbhost,

Thanks for the info, I'll check them out as well.

Uncle Cracker,

If I decide to get parts from that website, I'll post the results
                              in the forums!

Jerry

Comment

Working...