• Show
Clear All
  • tjr
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • at the falls of the Ohio
    • BT3000 (1 3/4 of them)

A rather basic rail setup question

On my BT3000, with the rip fence indicator fastened to the hole on the right side of the fence, if I set the rails so that the scale is correct then 0" on the scale is about 4" to the right of the blade. If I then put the SMT on the left side of the saw so its left side sits flush with the left end of the rails, I've got about a 3/4" gap between the right edge of the SMT and the left edge of the main saw top. So far that's been handy to clamp a Harbor Freight featherboard into.

Does this sound about right? How do you guys get enough space to fit a miter slot in there?
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I am not sure if this answers what you are asking. But I have dual miter slot tables, it takes some fooling with adjustments to get everything lined up, but it can be done.

Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

On my 21829 I set my rails to align at 10" on my rip fence indicator with it on the right side of the blade. That leaves enough room for my narrower shop made dual miter/t-track slot to the left of the main table, my SMT, and then a 6" wide table on the end. I like having the additional support to the left side of the SMT. I've still got plenty of rail capacity to the right of the blade as I have a set of half rails installed on the right end. The 21829 rails are also 6" longer.
      Erik

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by tjr
        On my BT3000, with the rip fence indicator fastened to the hole on the right side of the fence
        IINM, you will need to move the indicator to the left-hand opening on the rip fence handle assembly. My now-retired BT3100 is set up like Dave shows in his picture; with the factory DMST between the main table and the SMT, there's just a half-inch or so of rail extending past the left side of the SMT.
        Larry

Comment

• tjr
          Established Member
          • Oct 2008
          • at the falls of the Ohio
          • BT3000 (1 3/4 of them)

Thanks, gents.

Originally posted by LarryG
          IINM, you will need to move the indicator to the left-hand opening on the rip fence handle assembly...
          That would give approx 4.5" for a miter slot, does reduce max rip to 19.5", enough for everyday use. Guess that's why people like to add extra half or full rails. Also makes the extra 6" on the Sears handy.

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

A 19.5" rip capacity with the indicator on the left sounds about right. When I built my Dual-Width Extension Wing, I used "half-rail" pieces that were 11" long and they increased the rip capacity to ~30.25".
            Larry

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
              • Dec 2006
              • hagerstown, md

I must be odd but I always use a ruler to set the fence, I've never even looked at the scale.
              パトリック
              daiku woodworking
              ^deshi^
              neoshed

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

the rail with the scale can be positioned left or right. I don't believe there is a single "correct" position for the rail to get it to line up with zero. Its a convenience thing. If you get it to line up at true zero then the rail may not be positioned ideally for wide rips or some crosscuts. You move the rail when you need better rail position and give up the scale. If you like the scale, put it where you like it.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by siliconbauhaus
                  I must be odd but I always use a ruler to set the fence, I've never even looked at the scale.
                  Ditto!! With all the shuffling of rails to accommodate different rip cuts on sheets, etc. I have found it easier to measure with a tape and verify on scrap. I thought I was the only one suffering this way
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• mschrank
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2004
                    • Hood River, OR, USA.
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by siliconbauhaus
                    You're not odd...or if you are you have company. My previous saws didn't have scales on the rails, so I got used measuring from the blade to the fence. Still do it that way.
                    Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

Working...