Oshlun 6" stack Dado or Freud 6" Stack Dado?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • headhunter636
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Federal Way, WA
    • Ryobi BT 3000

Oshlun 6" stack Dado or Freud 6" Stack Dado?

I've decided to get a 6" dado instead of an 8" for my BT3000. Has anyone tried either of these dado sets, and if so, what would you recommend?

Thanks.
    Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"
  • gary
    • May 2004
    • Versailles, KY, USA.

I've used the Freud SD206 while I had my BT3. I've no complaints on how it cut at all. The arbor on my BT3 would require the outside blade rest on the threads when using 3/4" width and would sometimes give me an uneven cut. I can't blame the blade for that.
    Gary

Comment

• Charlie
      Banned
      • Jul 2009

Deleted by me.
      Last edited by Charlie; 10-24-2009, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Freud makes 3 or 4 dado sets, but I'm assuming you mean the entry level SD206 that's priced closer to the Oshlun (formerly Avenger)? It's readily available and is very popular. It'll be difficult to find people who've tried both.

I owned the 8" version, Freud SD208 for over 2 years and liked it...it's a good set and is well made. The Oshlun is a copy of the $300 Systimatic set, and also gets good reports from owners plus has the advantage of having quite a few more teeth....5T chippers vs Freud's 2T chippers. I own the 8" Systimatic 42T/6T set, and find it to be excellent. All things being equal, more teeth typically equates to a cleaner cut, but it's hard to say if the Oshlun is made to high precision standards. I've tried an Oshlun 40T blade and found it to be surprisingly good for the price and also surprisingly well made...large C4 carbide, heavy steel body, highly polished brazing, etc. The SD206 is always a safe bet as a solid performer, but I suspect the 6" Oshlun may have more upside potential by design.

Here's a look at the 8" Systimatic set that the Oshlun mimics.
        Last edited by Knottscott; 10-04-2009, 02:09 PM.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Something you might also want to consider is the weight of those sets. On wider dado cuts the Oshlum, with its full plate design for the chippers, will be considerably heavier than the Freud. This extra weight will cause the saws motor to work a little harder on start up.

My first dado set was an 8" Harbor Freight set, #44566, that is similar in design to the Oshlum. I would quite often trip the breaker on start up when cutting wider dados. I purchased the Freud SD206 set and haven't trip a breaker since.
          Last edited by sweensdv; 10-04-2009, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• luteman
            Established Member
            • Dec 2007
            • Northern Michigan
            • BT3100-1

I have the Oshlun 6" for my BT3100. Works just fine. Quality of cut is very good for its' price point.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

I use the Freud SD206, and have been satisfied with the results.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I have the Oshlun and use it FREQUENTLY for full 3/4" dadoes. Great set for a steal of a price, especially if you get it on sale.I would whole heartedly recommend the Oshlun...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

I have the Oshlun (Avenger when I bought it) and it has been fine for me. From what I hear the Freud is also a good set so you cant really go wrong with either.
                  Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                  techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by gary
                    I've used the Freud SD206 while I had my BT3. I've no complaints on how it cut at all. The arbor on my BT3 would require the outside blade rest on the threads when using 3/4" width and would sometimes give me an uneven cut. I can't blame the blade for that.
                    Gary, I think that if you take off BOTH arbor spacers (there's a 1/2" and a 1/4")
                    then the full stack of the 6" dado (all 13/16") will fit on the arbor without any blade plates resting on the threads.

The 8" dados give the problem you state; the larger diameter outer plate will hit part of the saw body on the right if both spacers are removed. If the 1/4" spacer only is left then the blade will avoid hitting the body but only 5/8" stack will go on, any more and the leftmost plates rest on the threads leading to uneven cut as you describe.

I know, I own both SD308 and SD306 sets.
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-04-2009, 09:58 PM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Sawatzky
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2005
                      • CA
                      • Ridgid TS3650

I also have the Freud 6 inch set that I use on my Ridgid contractor saw. It works great.

Comment

• jaybee
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2006
                        • Regina, SK, Canada
                        • BT3100-1

Being a poor canuckian, I use:

Mastercraft 6-in. Dado Carbide-tipped Circular Saw Blade
                        Product #55-1014-2

Reg. $69.99

purchased on sale for much less. Loml is quite proud of the tv stand I made using it to make the cuts in the legs for the shelves. I got my money out of it on that project alone.

I saw the WA and figured you might be able to sneak across the border when it goes on sale again. (not if, but when - everything from Canadian Tire goes on sale, you just need the patience to wait for it.)

Comment

• jhart
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

I have the Avenger (Oshlun) and it does a very good job the times I have used it. For most dado's, I use the router about 90% of the time. Just easier to set up than the Avenger.
                          Joe
                          "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• pbui3057
                            Established Member
                            • Jul 2008
                            • Mather, CA
                            • BT3000

I owned the Skil (lowes) cheap dado set. That was the worst thing I had ever seen. I then purchased the Freud SD506 off of ebay for about the same price as SD206. I loved that dado set. I ended up selling it when I sold my BTS21. The dado bottoms were perfectly flat. I then bought the Oshlun after hearing some very good reviews from everyone here. I think that the SD506 was better and cut cleaner than the Oshlun but the Oshlun was considerably cheaper new vs new. The used SD506 I got off of ebay actually looked and felt in good condition. It came in a plastic box and had everything in there.

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

I also had the unfortunate experience of owning the Skil 6" set. Lousy piece of junk...

Comparing the Oshlun with the SD506 isn't exactly a fair comparison... The SDS0630 is comparable to the SD206.
                              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...