• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

motor compatibility

I generally keep an eye on CL to see if BTs come up for sale. I wanted to pick one up for spare parts primarily to have a spare motor in case the unmentionable happened.

As I have a BT3100 does anybody know if a BT3000 motor is fully compatible?
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

my understanding is that except for some of the really early models (I'd avoid 1992-1994 or 1995, which you can tell by the date code on the ID label) which had some changes. Other than that I think everythings pretty much compatible from what I've heard.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

I just got a serial number of 8007979428 but apprarently there was nothing elese on the label that indicated a date. Or did you mean the motor?
      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by poolhound
        I just got a serial number of 8007979428 but apprarently there was nothing elese on the label that indicated a date. Or did you mean the motor?

BT3000s always had a four digit date code (year an week of manufacture) on the s/n label.
        Something like 9633 meant 33rd week of 1996. Its described various place around here and in my faq.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• pbui3057
          Established Member
          • Jul 2008
          • Mather, CA
          • BT3000

It wouldn't surprise me if the 9428 part of the serial number was the date.

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Originally posted by pbui3057
            It wouldn't surprise me if the 9428 part of the serial number was the date.
            Septemeber 4th 1928?
            Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              my understanding is that except for some of the really early models (I'd avoid 1992-1994 or 1995, which you can tell by the date code on the ID label) which had some changes. Other than that I think everythings pretty much compatible from what I've heard.
              What were the issues with those dates?
              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• pbui3057
                Established Member
                • Jul 2008
                • Mather, CA
                • BT3000

Septemeber 4th 1928?
                That's exactly right!

I think it is a year 1994 week 28 machine. Other than the motor housing being incompatible with the later model year saws and the motor being 13 amps, I can't think of anything. I am parting out a 1993 machine right now that I used for a while. The extra 2 amps may not seem like much but it is something.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

BT3100 would not have been made in 1994!!!!

The oldest BT3000's had 13A motors, not 15A and they changed some things with brushes and other minutia making them less desirable, if not incompatible.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    BT3100 would not have been made in 1994!!!!

The oldest BT3000's had 13A motors, not 15A and they changed some things with brushes and other minutia making them less desirable, if not incompatible.
                    The serial number is from a BT3000 I was thinking of buying for spares hence the discussion of wether its motor would fit my BT3100
                    Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

I am currently talking to a guy who has this old BT3000 and trying to figure if its worth picking up. the pics he sent me look good and everything is there. The guy lives waaaaaay the other side of town so could be a 75-100 mile round trip so not going to visit before I have checked the basics.

He just emailed me back and says the label says 15Amps. What does that indicate about its age and does that infer it has a 15A motor and would more likely make it compatible with my BT3100?
                      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

The serial number is from a BT3000 I was thinking of buying for spares hence the discussion of wether its motor would fit my BT3100
                        sorry i thought wrongly that you were quoting the S/N of your BT3100.
                        it would be 28th week (around early July) of 1994.

from the FAQ:
                        The date of manufacture of a Ryobi BT3x saw can be determined from the manufacturer’s plate.
                        There is a four-digit date code like 9950 or 0512. The first two digits indicate the year and the last
                        two digits indicate the week. Thus 9950 would be a saw built in December of 1999. And 0512
                        would be a saw built the 12
                        th week of 2005. Because of the smaller motor and switch problems, it
                        would be wise to avoid BT3000s from 1992-1993. BT3000s were made through 2002 and
                        BT3100s were made from 2002-2006. Sears 22811 were sold approx from 1999 to 2002/3 and

Sears 21829 were sold beginning 2006.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Jim Frye
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Maumee, OH, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

As I have a BT3100 does anybody know if a BT3000 motor is fully compatible?
                          I believe the BT3100 motor is different from those used in the BT3000. The BT3000 had three different motors, depending on manufacturing period. The early BT3000s had a 13 amp. motor. In response to some press issues, they upped the power to 15 amps. after the first couple of years of production. Later, the plant where the motors were made (Singer, as in sewing machines) was closed and a slightly different 15 amp. motor was sourced for the remainder of the BT3000 production. I have never been able to get a list of what serial numbers had which motor from Ryobi, but if I had a question, I would contact Ryobi to see if they can help. I have not checked, but I would think the owner's manual that came with the saw would state which part number is right for that saw. You might also contact a Ryobi Service Center to see if they can tell you the correct part number. Although, that last one might be a shot in the dark, depending on the knowledge level and the willingness of the employees there. I have several BT3000 manuals and I'll see if they list different part numbers for the motors. OK, I am getting really feeble. The manuals don't list part numbers (except for bearings), so I can't list them. I have the original manual from 09/92 that came with my 13 amp. saw. I have manual from 04/96 that represented the 15 amp. BT3000s. I have a manual from 10/96 that Wayne Hill sent me that was for the non-Singer 15 amp. saw. I would still contact Ryobi , a service center, to get the proper part number for your particular saw. My ruse would be I bought the saw used and need to verify if it has the correct motor in it. By the way, I have never had a power problem with my 13 amp. saw. I have it plugged into a 20 amp. circuit with 12 ga. wiring and a 12 ga. power cord.

Early production BT3000s also had a switch recall to replace the switch that would fail in the on position. The recalled switch was a two push button version that sort of copied switches on cabinet saws, but wasn't that heavy duty. The replacement switch was a rocker switch with a push off cover like the later production BT3000s and BT3100s.
                          Last edited by Jim Frye; 05-13-2009, 03:05 PM.
                          Jim Frye
                          The Nut in the Cellar.
                          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• poolhound
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2006
                            • Phoenix, AZ
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by Jim Frye
                            I believe the BT3100 motor is different from those used in the BT3000. The BT3000 had three different motors, depending on manufacturing period. The early BT3000s had a 13 amp. motor. In response to some press issues, they upped the power to 15 amps. after the first couple of years of production. Later, the plant where the motors were made (Singer, as in sewing machines) was closed and a slightly different 15 amp. motor was sourced for the remainder of the BT3000 production. I have never been able to get a list of what serial numbers had which motor from Ryobi, but if I had a question, I would contact Ryobi to see if they can help. I have not checked, but I would think the owner's manual that came with the saw would state which part number is right for that saw. You might also contact a Ryobi Service Center to see if they can tell you the correct part number. Although, that last one might be a shot in the dark, depending on the knowledge level and the willingness of the employees there. I have several BT3000 manuals and I'll see if they list different part numbers for the motors. OK, I am getting really feeble. The manuals don't list part numbers (except for bearings), so I can't list them. I have the original manual from 09/92 that came with my 13 amp. saw. I have manual from 04/96 that represented the 15 amp. BT3000s. I have a manual from 10/96 that Wayne Hill sent me that was for the non-Singer 15 amp. saw. I would still contact Ryobi , a service center, to get the proper part number for your particular saw. My ruse would be I bought the saw used and need to verify if it has the correct motor in it. By the way, I have never had a power problem with my 13 amp. saw. I have it plugged into a 20 amp. circuit with 12 ga. wiring and a 12 ga. power cord.

Early production BT3000s also had a switch recall to replace the switch that would fail in the on position. The recalled switch was a two push button version that sort of copied switches on cabinet saws, but wasn't that heavy duty. The replacement switch was a rocker switch with a push off cover like the later production BT3000s and BT3100s.
                            Good info Jim, thanks.

I did send and email to Ryobi yesterday but so far no reply.
                            Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • Phoenix, AZ
                              • BT3100

I still didnt get any reply from ryobi support, but I passed on that old BT3000 I figured the motor probably wouldnt be the right one given its age.

Lucky I did as this weekend has seen quite a few BTs for sale, all 3000s except for one 3100 which is rarer to see. I havent picked it up yet but just got off the phone with the guy and he says its mine.

In some ways it seems a pity to strip it but having just invested a lot of time, effort (and money) into building the mobile base for mine I wanted to have a spare motor on hand as murphy's law would have mine crash and burn if I didnt

It was a little pricey (it looks very clean and truely hardly used) but comes with a bunch of extras so I will have a variety of bits I can sell off to help pay for it.

If anybody needs anything let me know. I think it has most if not all of the accessory kit so theres a bunch of resaleable items there. Once I have it in my hands I will post to the classifieds but if anybody knows something they dearly want let me know.
                              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Working...