• Show
Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Originally posted by JoeyGee
    I can't believe you said "almost". I thought I had found a bona fide real live cult. Man, what does a man have to do to join a real cult anymore? Do I need to move to Texas?
    No, but you do have to start stockpiling Freud blades and SMTs down in the bunker. Oh, and create a rambling, poorly designed web site that references itself.

+1 on what everybody has said. I might not be buried with mine, but I expect it to make my coffin.

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by JoeyGee
      I can't believe you said "almost". I thought I had found a bona fide real live cult. Man, what does a man have to do to join a real cult anymore? Do I need to move to Texas?
      Try California or Oregon first. We don't need any more of that cult wierdness here.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

This thread was great to read and I appreciate the insight and knowledge of the very experienced BT3 owners.

About all I can add is my own enthusiasm for the BT3. I've bought my BT3100-1 a couple of years ago when it was nearing clearance. At the time Ryobi was offering a rebate and that, combined with Home Depot's lowered price made the BT3 simply irresistable. But even then, I don't spend money without doing a lot of research and I found this particular table saw to have an outstanding following.

Since then, I've been extremely happy with my BT. I've owned a Craftsman RAS for decades, but this was my first "table saw". I've found it fun to use and very accurate. It's a pleasure to work with and so far has done everything that I've asked of it. With the Herc-U-lift kit added, it's easy to move and position in my tiny little shop and, at this point, I really can't see where anything bigger would ever be desired.

Feature-wise, it's a very complete package and Ryobi's design team did a great job. Considering it's long market term and tremendous following, I wish someone there would provide us a "history" of this model. It would be very nice to know the thinking and challenges that went into this very successful product.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• dkerfoot
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2004
          • Holland, Michigan
          • Craftsman 21829

I have the 21829. I don't see it really marketed as or being a good jobsite saw. It is simply not built to be thrown into and pulled out of a pickup truck day after day. Plus most jobsite saws don't need the accuracy or flexibility.

Again - a case of this family of saws being misunderstood even amongst our own family!

BUT - it is a wonder of efficiency in small shops. I simply couldn't do what I do in my 10' x 11' show with any other saw.

As to the cost - go price good folding stands that let you stow and roll the saw from one side without any strain on your back sometime. Heck, the crappy ones cost over $100! The stand is very, very good at what it does and would sell for very close to $200 on it's own.

Also, in addition to the stand and the included router table kit, it also has longer rails than the BTs, a 2nd "back" fence position on the SMT and the marginally useful miter slots on the accessory table - handy for feather boards if nothing else...
          Doug Kerfoot
          "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
          "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
          KeyLlama.com

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by dkerfoot
            I have the 21829. I don't see it really marketed as or being a good jobsite saw. It is simply not built to be thrown into and pulled out of a pickup truck day after day. Plus most jobsite saws don't need the accuracy or flexibility.
            I don't see it as a good jobsite saw, but it does get some marketing as one.
            From the current Sears web description: "10 in. Craftsman table saw with superior action easy folding stand allows for storage in the workshop and effortless mobility from one jobsite to another." It's also part of the Craftsman 'Professional' tools.
            Erik

Comment

• JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Originally posted by dkerfoot
              I don't see it really marketed as or being a good jobsite saw. It is simply not built to be thrown into and pulled out of a pickup truck day after day.
              Since when could anyone trust Sears' marketing?
              Joe

Comment

• tommyt654
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2008

While I agree w/most of you I have an old Delta 36-00 set up only for Dado cuts. So its easy for me to say that my 3000 is my primary saw for most cutting I use it for other reasons as well.ie routing. It is perhaps 1 of the most versatile TS I have to date. And it lends itself to TS of much higher prices. But the thing that has enamored me to it most is its basic design and versatility. All to many times I see engineers complicating a simple process, i.e. todays automobile engines for the sake of performance. This saw has performed well thru the ages as well as a 283 chevy engine or a 289 of 40 yrs ago. Alas poor Ryobi I new him well. It is my intention over the next 1 to 2 years to buy at least 1 or 2 more at a greatly discounted price just to have spare parts and I would advise all to do the same, You,re friend and colleague,Tommyt the 1 legged motorcycle

Comment

• Len
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Sep 2007
                  • Cary, NC
                  • BT3000

With only half a 1 car garage to use as a shop, I find my BT3K to be a perfect fit along with my antique Shopsmith Model 510 set up as a horizontal drill press.

Len

Comment

• robtonya
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2009

Funny that I have a Shopsmith Mark 5, and a BT 3000. It was my Dad's, and he insisted I borrow it from him and use it until He got a bigger shop built. I took it but hesitated to do so. He then had an accident and was killed when a tool box fell on him. It is the only thing I have of his, and intend on learning all about it, and how to do the upkeep on it. That is how I found this forum too.

I don't get along with my Step-Mother is why this is all I have of his, and she even wanted that back. I figured he wanted me to have it, so I plan on keeping it.

I will have to post some pictures of it to learn some more about it. By the way, this is a great forum you have here.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2004
                      • Holland, Michigan
                      • Craftsman 21829

I recently acquired a Shopsmith to go along with my 21829!

It really is a great combination, since the weak point of the SS is the saw - the other four tools are really very good.
                      Doug Kerfoot

KeyLlama.com

Comment

• robtonya
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Feb 2009

Agreed. The SS saw is OK, but prefer the BT3000. I like the lathe, and drill press. I also have a bandsaw, but have been thinking of buying a dedicated stand for it.

Comment

• Slik Geek
                          • Dec 2006
                          • Lake County, Illinois
                          • Ryobi BT-3000

Ryobi's own marketing description from February, 1992

Ryobi's new BT3000 10" Table Saw is an incomparable precision cutting system for tradesmen and serious woodworkers. It combines the performance of a stationary tool with the convenience of a bench top saw. Using advanced engineering and design, the BT3000 offers more features, greater precision and more versatility than any other saw in its price range.

And we didnt' stop there. To increase the versatility even further, Ryobi offers a complete line of accessories that can enhance the capabilities of the BT3000, creating a compact, self-contained woodshop that goes where you go.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2004
                            • Holland, Michigan
                            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by robtonya
                            Agreed. The SS saw is OK, but prefer the BT3000. I like the lathe, and drill press. I also have a bandsaw, but have been thinking of buying a dedicated stand for it.
                            I got the bandsaw also and am very happy with it. It slices through 6" hard maple without any effort at all. I leave it in place all the time. Every bit of extra weight helps keep the lathe steady.

I doubt I'll ever us the SS saw, but I am loving the lathe. I was looking at buying a Midi lathe and when I found the SS on CL for about the same price as the Steel City Midi, I figured Why not? I bought it last fall and o regrets so far... Combined with the 21829, I have a lot of capability in two very small packages.
                            Doug Kerfoot

KeyLlama.com

Comment

• robtonya
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Feb 2009

I have most of what accesories that come with the BT3000. Duel miter slots, sliding miter, I got a brand new router table kit, but have yet to put a router in it. I love it. I seen where some people have shim problems, and convert it to a BT3100, and I would be interested in that someday. It raises and lowers good, it does "talk"to me when I lower it. Probably needs lubricated. The only other thing, but I haven't verified is that I believe the blade has a slight wobble to it. I was going to put a new blade on it, then verify.

As far as the Shopsmith, I love the lathe too. I have made some baseball bats on it. It is almost too short for it. I can only get a 32" bat out of it.
                              I use the SS saw too. It's nice when you are ripping for like face frames and you don't need to move the fence a lot, then use the BT3000 for all your other cuts, like cross cutting for lenght on those same face frames.

Comment

• Kavoom
                                Forum Newbie
                                • Mar 2010
                                • Sears 21289

Stumbled across this thread

I just stumbled across this thread. It's not a cult huh? And who goes and finds 1992 marketing pieces describing the product. I bet there is one out there somewhere in a garage no doubt that insiders go and worship, with candles and robes...

I just got my 21829 for 285 bucks new from my Sears store. It had come in with a broken stand and blade guard so went into their clearance. I found it online through the Sears Outlet site. They priced it originally around 389 and while they were waiting for parts, the computer kept lowering the price and they finally pulled it at 354. I was glad because I wasn't tempted anymore... and then they called me said the parts came in and they put it back up at 317 bucks. I went in on Friends and Family night and got another 10% off.

So, do us lowly people with Sears 21829's become second class acolytes here instead of full members?
                                Kavoom
                                Upside Down and Backwards

Comment

Working...