This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NONHOG

One belt o.k. ?

I am new (in a way) to this saw. Bought it years back . Anyway its been on loan for at least a few of its years . Just go around to replacing the belt that the last loanee never told me was broke.
    I did not realize that it needs 2 belts . Is using just one asking for it.
    Or should I wait till I get the second one installed also .
    Thanks,
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I know the belts are designed to "give" under pressure in order to protect the motor. I would think that running one belt would cut that give load in half. I would wait to get that second belt on...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• master53yoda
      Established Member
      • Oct 2008
      • Spokane Washington
      • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

In the size that the saw belts are normally they will deliver approximately 3 hp through an A section belt. If the saw HP is higher then that you will need both belts. If you are doing lite cutting the one belt will work but I wouldn't start a bunch of deep ripping in maple with out checking
      Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I assume you have a BT3x model.
        The saw was designed to deliver full pwoer to the blade with the two belts.
        Operating with just one risks breaking the belt when overloaded.

With one belt You could do for light cutting loads like small pieces of plywood and 3/4" material crosscuts and short rips.

If you cut thicker material or try to cut a larger sheet of plywood that binds slightly then you risk breaking the belt.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• NONHOG

Thanks I'll order up another before I get started.

Comment

• master53yoda
            Established Member
            • Oct 2008
            • Spokane Washington
            • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            I assume you have a BT3x model.
            The saw was designed to deliver full pwoer to the blade with the two belts.
            Operating with just one risks breaking the belt when overloaded.

With one belt You could do for light cutting loads like small pieces of plywood and 3/4" material crosscuts and short rips.

If you cut thicker material or try to cut a larger sheet of plywood that binds slightly then you risk breaking the belt.

i missed that it was a bt correct don't run it without both belts
            Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

I think you'd be wise to replace both belts now while you're at it, rather than just the missing one. That way they will age (and stretch) simultaneously, and you don't know how close you are now to losing the one that's been running by itself for however long.

Comment

• BerniePA
                Established Member
                • Nov 2007
                • San Tan Valley, AZ
                • Grizzly 0575

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                I think you'd be wise to replace both belts now while you're at it, rather than just the missing one. That way they will age (and stretch) simultaneously, and you don't know how close you are now to losing the one that's been running by itself for however long.
                I would have to go with this recommendation also. That way you won't find yourself running on one belt again next month.
                Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

Working...