• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brubakes
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2009
    • Medina, OH
    • Sears 315.228110

Sounds like in the end the link I posted at first might not be such a bad deal after all. LCHIEN, thanks for pricing out what the mod would take. I guess I never realized the cost when broken down.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by pelligrini
      Nice Loring, I was wondering what the cost might be myself. I knew it wasn't cheap.

Another pretty stable method is to shape a hardwood insert that will fit inside the rails and fasten it with a couple countersunk machine screws. I picked up a set of half rails where the previous owner had made the inserts for. Not having the exterior fastener plates in the way was good too.
      This appears to be a very attractive way to install it, both from a cost standpoint and a visible hardware hanging off the side standpoint. A few countersunk screws in the tops of the rails would be unobtrusive and quick to remove and replace if you needed to.

I'm going to check into it tonight - I have a set of BT3000 rails I might cut down, w/ no hardware.

Anyone need some 18" silver BT3000 rail extensions?

Anyone agree that 24" extension rails does not need additional leg supports?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        Anyone agree that 24" extension rails does not need additional leg supports?
        That will probably depend on how tight you make the inserts, and the load on the extension.

In the instance with my 21829; I had to add a support on my extension because the saw would tip if I put any additional downforce on the extension end. The 48" rails and the 24" extension was supporting two accessory tables, a 24" long router top out of baltic birch ply, a jessem rout-r lift, and dwalt router. The blade is set at 10" on the rail tape. A 5" wide MDF table and my SMT are to the left of the saw. This was on the mobile base and the tipping would occur about the wheels.

The insert worked really well when connecting stock BT rails. There were some very tight tolerances done by the maker. There was no movement of the extensions. When I used it on the 21829 rail, the connection wasn't very stable. This is because the 21829 extrusions are thinner and have a slightly different inside shape.
        Erik

Comment

• RodKirby
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          BTW ROD- what did you screw the bolts into? The rail? Ryobi T-nuts?
          Ryobi T-nuts (pre T-Nuts.com)
          Last edited by RodKirby; 01-14-2009, 02:53 PM.
          Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• KLF
            Forum Newbie
            • Jun 2006
            • Barrington NH
            • BT3000 (of course)

Just an FYI... I've had a spare set of the 18" rails sitting under my saw for over 2 years now, because they didn't come with the hardware (bought them used off here) and I never justified ordering the T-nuts. When I saw this post, I immediately hit the BIN button on the eBay ad and bought the kit. Yeah, ~$50 (including postage) is a bit much, but it's a pre-packaged kit that is well made and ready to go. No fabricating brackets, no having to order the T-nuts, etc. Got the kit in the mail the other day, very nicely made. Now if it would only warm up in my garage enough to install it.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Fire up one of these on high for about 5 minutes...

Problem solved...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• os1kne
                • Jan 2003
                • Atlanta, GA
                • BT3100

Subscribing to this thread - for when I finally get around to attaching the 1/2 rails that I bought about 4 years ago.
                Bill

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by os1kne
                  Subscribing to this thread - for when I finally get around to attaching the 1/2 rails that I bought about 4 years ago.
                  You can go up to the yellow above the posts, and click thread tools and subscribe, without having to post in it, to subscribe. FYI
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                    You can go up to the yellow above the posts, and click thread tools and subscribe, without having to post in it, to subscribe. FYI
                    Yeah, but then we don't get to be reminded of these little blasts from the past...
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Rslaugh
                      • Sep 2003
                      • Red Lion, PA, USA.
                      • Ridgid

I could look at Rod's photos for hours.
                      Rick
                      IG: @rslaugh_photography
                      A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
                      And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
                      ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by Rslaugh
                        I could look at Rod's photos for hours.
                        nicely said, it took me a while before i scrolled down...

Comment

• os1kne
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Atlanta, GA
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                          Thank you - I wasn't aware of that.

I agree about Rod's pics - always a high level of craftsmanship.
                          Bill

Comment

• Poobah
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Sep 2010
                            • SoCal
                            • BT3100

Rod,

that looks so awesome and is the perfect excuse to justify having bought the HF drill press a few weeks ago.

A couple questions though: how long are the bolts you used and can I get the aluminum bracket at a Lowe's or HD?

Comment

Working...