• Show
Clear All
  • brubakes
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2009
    • Medina, OH
    • Sears 315.228110

Who Made Who

Did Sears make the BT3000/3100 for Ryobi or did Ryobi make the 228110 for Sears?
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Ryobi / TTI made the BT3000 / BT3100. The 22811 and 21829 are simply small features changed rebadges of Ryobi products. They do this with a LOT of products. Basically put. Sears rebadges a LOT of other companies power tools and sells them as Craftsman products. Which is why Craftsman tools are so radically variable in quality...

The Craftsman 21806 is basically the same saw as the Ryobi BTS-21 (some color changes and a different blade is all).

The Craftsman 21802 appears to be basically a BTS10s etc...

Not all of the changes made to the Craftsman versions are just cosmetic. For example the 21829 has a different accessory table that the router bolts directly to. The table tops have gone from ribbed to smooth, and the saw blade went from a 36 tooth Freud Italian made thin kerf saw blade to a 40 tooth Chinese blade from an unknown manufacturer. No idea how good of a blade it really is...

Now to muddy the waters even more. I seem to recall, years ago, Sears used to sell Ryobi. They are currently, and have been for quite a few years a single retail outlet manufacturer in the U.S., namely Home Depot. That is honestly a BAD choice for Ryobi. This means Home Depot gets to flex more than a little influence on products Ryobi markets in the United States. Knowing the poor choices HD makes, this does not bode at all well for Ryobi.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

sears doesn't make anything for anybody. They even have trouble making money for the stockholders. But they have no factories is what I mean. They buy everything from outside factories called OEMs and have their Craftsman (or Kenmore, etc) name put on them.

Ryobi is the OEM who made the 22811 and 21829 for sears. Ryobi also made the BT 3000 and BT3100.

You can look at the nameplate from Sears stuff. Your saw actually says part number 315.228110
      and the 315 says it was made by Ryobi. If you know the prefix codes and they are posted in various places around the internet, then you know who made it. We happen to know 315 is Ryobi.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Hoover
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • USA.

Originally posted by dbhost
        Now to muddy the waters even more. I seem to recall, years ago, Sears used to sell Ryobi. They are currently, and have been for quite a few years a single retail outlet manufacturer in the U.S., namely Home Depot. That is honestly a BAD choice for Ryobi. This means Home Depot gets to flex more than a little influence on products Ryobi markets in the United States. Knowing the poor choices HD makes, this does not bode at all well for Ryobi.
        I think that Ryobi knows that they did make a bad choice. HD doesn't do any justice to marketing of Ryobi.
        No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• brubakes
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2009
          • Medina, OH
          • Sears 315.228110

Originally posted by Hoover
          I think that Ryobi knows that they did make a bad choice. HD doesn't do any justice to marketing of Ryobi.
          Home Depot doesn't do justice to most everything in their store.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

As a side note, when the BT3000 was selling for $400 in the US at HD, it was selling for $2000 here in Japan. However, it did come with wide table kit and the extras kit over here.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...