• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • louis mason
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006

BT3100 Blade Adjust Help Required

Hello all

My BT3100 is starting to resist raising the blade (adjusting up). It almost feels like the handle/crank is binding- getting difficult to turn the crank when raising the blade. Not so difficult to lower.

I have used my saw for about 2-3 years. I have never taken it apart for cleaning or fixing- but if now is the time to do so, i thought i would see if anybody remembers fixing this particular type of problem, before i start.

i have basic-to-intermediate level repair skills.

any suggestions on what to look for or clean- or adjust first?

is there a repair manual/article that i should be reading somewhere?

thanks guys... louis m
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

You need to clean and lube at 2 points. The rails where the blade arbor and motor ride up and down is the first. Remove the side panel where the power cord attaches and clean and lube the gears of the crank mechanism. Use a dry lube that does NOT contain Teflon.
    Chr's

Comment

• cork58
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • Wasilla, AK, USA.
      • BT3000

DO NOT FORCE! On the bottom of the shaft that has the gears on it should be a pair of nuts. Check and see if they are loose. If not check the shaft for movement side to side. It is true that the gears need lube, as stated do not use a lube that will attract sawdust and therefore binding. It is possible that you have the dreaded "shim" problem as well. I advise you to use the search button on the home page before going to much further. There is allot of discussion on this problem in the archives. I use dry graphite on the shims every time I feel a binding and it goes away. I forced my saw "once" and it cost me a few bucks at the machine shop to repair the threads in the motor housing!

Just my thoughts, Cork
      Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

never force anything on a BT - if you have to force it something is wrong and will break.
        You need to clean is every so often, 2-3 years is a LONG time. of course this depends on how often you use it. And also how good a dust collection effor your apply to the saw.
        open the ends. On the right the screw below the electrical outlet holds a grounding wire. Blow out the dust. make sure you use a dry lube (e.g. not a greasy lube that will hold dust) on the vertical raising and lowering screw (visible on the right end) and wher it contacst the mechanisms, and on the vertical ways (visible from the left) that the motor and arbor housing ride upon. Move them and then lub again on the newly esposed parts. I use johnson's paste wax on the vertical ways and spray dry lub on the screw threads.
        First blow out the dust,
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by twistsol
          Use a dry lube that does NOT contain Teflon.
          I know we shouldn't use lubes with silicone, but teflon?
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

teflon's OK. I think the poster who said don't use teflon meant don't use silicone-based lubes which spread and make possible finishing problems on wood.
            Teflon is frequently used in dri-lubes.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• jrnewhall
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2005
              • Rochester, NY.
              • Ryobi 3100

This was the problem that brought me to this great site.

I blew all the sawdust out of all the nooks. I used candle wax to lube the shims and the screw that lifts the motor. The saw was better than new.

Closing off the bottom of the saw and adding dust collection has greatly reduced the need to clean. I re-apply the wax at the slightest increase in resistance on the blade hight.

~JRN

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

Check to make sure you riving knife is not dragging on the back of the saw. Since you have a BT3100 you will not have the shim problem, although in several years worth of time you may have some build-up under the shims.
                Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                  Check to make sure you riving knife is not dragging on the back of the saw. Since you have a BT3100 you will not have the shim problem, although in several years worth of time you may have some build-up under the shims.

that is a frequent source of saw elevation problems with the BT3s, where the riving knife/splitter is leaning backwards and drags on the saw opening. But, that is almost always dragging on the down going motion, this poster has the problem going up.

lack of cleaning in a long time is a big clue to me.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by leehljp
                    I know we shouldn't use lubes with silicone, but teflon?
                    Sorry about the brain cramp. I meant silicon, not teflon. This is what happens when you post with an iPhone and are spending more time thinking about how to type than thinking about what you're typing.
                    Chr's

Comment

• louis mason
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2006

A lot better now!

Thanks a lot for all of the advice, it was so helpful. I ended up diconnecting the saw from the stand and completely cleaning it out inside. Then I used the non-oil lubication and now it raises & lowers smoothly.

cheers.. louis

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

success! ANOTHER satisfied patron.

Don't be a stranger, keep coming around for other tips and tricks, share your stories and projects.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...