X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepman71
    Established Member
    • Nov 2008

Craftsman 21829

Hello all, i am new to this forum and have recently purchased a Craftsman 21829. So far i am very happy with the saw, the people at Sears had miss marked the sale price and i got it new for $189.00.

The reason for my thread is not to wag the tongue about the price but because Craftsman no longer makes the throat plate for a dado blade. In searching around I find that it is very similar if not exactly like the BT3. I have had no luck finding much information on this saw(BT3) so I don't know if the plate is still available for it or not. I also don't know if it will fit the 21829.

Any informaion you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I am sure some of the other readers will have the answer and I think it can be ordered from Sears but I don't know what number to order it under.

But I do want to welcome you to the forum! Best cutting inexpensive saw around!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Here's a dado TP on EBay

http://tinyurl.com/5v5pcp
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

just make your own. If you can't let me know and I'll make one for a small price.

you'd be better off with a zero clearance tp. the factory dado plate leaves a huge opening
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Tom Slick
          just make your own. If you can't let me know and I'll make one for a small price.

you'd be better off with a zero clearance tp. the factory dado plate leaves a huge opening

They're not hard to make - at least they have square corners unlike Deltas and other big saws :-)
          I think details are in the articles section here.

You can also buy them as accessories, the Sears 21829, 22811, the Ryobi BT3000 and BT3100 saws all used the same castings and basic design so the throat plates will be all interchangeable.

Home made ones in 2-3 sizes to fit a range of dado sizes will probably work the best...
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Welcome to the forum Jim,

I concur with the OPs, making your own is the best way to go, its not that difficult. Once you have the first one perfect create a template and then you can make them in batches. You will find a huge improvement using a ZCTP for each blade and bevel you use regularly. You can use a wide variety of materials, wood, lexan, laminate flooring, corian etc.
            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

What about the T-nuts link on this homepage? Don't they still sell the good zero clearance inserts?
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• jeepman71
                Established Member
                • Nov 2008

Thanks Gentlemen, i went ahead and bought the plate on Ebay along with a couple blanks. From these i will make my own blanks for future use.

On a side note like so many other forums i have wasted time in this forum is awsome. I plan to visit more in the future.

Thanks
                Jim

Comment

• cwithboat
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
                  • Craftsman Pro 21829

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                  What about the T-nuts link on this homepage? Don't they still sell the good zero clearance inserts?
                  Yes. I recommend T-Nuts.
                  Welcome to the clan Jeepman
                  regards,
                  Charlie
                  A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
                  Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...