• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterm
    Handtools only
    • Aug 2008

What size dado to use?

Hi guys,
    this is my first post. I have the BT3000 that I bought used and came with a 7" dado set. The dado set is pretty used and I was wondering if a larger diameter could be used.

Thanks in advance,
    Peter
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Ryobi recommends that a 6" DADO is used with this saw. Most users buy this size if you poll members here. An 8" besides having more mass to turn which is harder on the motor has clearence issues.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I will advise you to avoid the Skil / Vermont American HSS Stack dado set. I own one and while it works, it's junk...

I have seen good results from the Oshlun, as well as Freud.

You will want to run a 6" Dado with the BT3xxx as well as the BTS2x saws...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• peterm
        Handtools only
        • Aug 2008

Thanks guys.
        It actually had an 8" dado on it, I just measured it. I will be doing custom spacers and I think I will be fine with 7" blades.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

the quick answer is that I've found the 8" dados require a 1/4" spacer be left on the arbor. The 6" dadoes can go on the arbor with no spacers on the right.

Thus the 8" dados extend to the left by 1/4" more than 6" dadoes and the last blade of the full set stack ends up being on the arbor threads. This causes the outside plate to be ever so slightly off center and go up and down an extra 1/32" or so and cut an deeper groove than the rest of the stack. You might also have Safety concerns about threads on the nut engaging the arbor fully etc.

So with an 8" dado you might be advised to not go wider than 5/8" or maybe 11/16th"
          3/4" and 13/16th inch are probably too much.

If you need to do full width dados, you should get a 6" but if you can stay below 3/4" width then the one you have will work.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-18-2008, 12:34 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

I use a 6" Freud dado set. There's no way I would need a dado any deeper than this set can produce (about 1-1/8"), and I have no clearance issues whatsoever.

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

I have the 6" avenger. This is now Oshlun. I dont se eany realy benefit in using a large blade.
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• shoottx
                Veteran Member
                • May 2008
                • Plano, Texas
                • BT3000

Originally posted by peterm
                Hi guys,
                this is my first post. I have the BT3000 that I bought used and came with a 7" dado set. The dado set is pretty used and I was wondering if a larger diameter could be used.

Thanks in advance,
                Peter
                Since the saw came with the a dado set that really is not recomended for the saw, you best bet is to sell the dado set on either Ebay or craig's list, then go buy one of the sets recomended above.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. But safer and better in the long run.
                Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• mnmphd
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by LCHIEN

Thus the 8" dados extend to the left by 1/4" more than 6" dadoes and the last blade of the full set stack ends up being on the arbor threads. This causes the outside plate to be ever so slightly off center and go up and down an extra 1/32" or so and cut an deeper groove than the rest of the stack. You might also have Safety concerns about threads on the nut engaging the arbor fully etc.
                  I ran into this problem just last week with my DeWalt 8". I was able to get
                  the stack on with no spacer ,but when I checked to see if it would turn, it was catching on the mounting bracket. I think it may work with a 1/8" spacer, but I have not verfied. A little filing of the aluminum bracket/shroud may also help.

Comment

• partialresponse
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Morgan Hill, CA, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT 3000

I recommend the 6" Freud. No problems at all with it. It's difficult to imagine why you'd need a larger set.

- Kofi

Comment

Working...