X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I used to use drylube but after reading about others using candle wax I tried it. I think it is better. I saved the wax from the luminaries we put out at Christmas time (I'm cheap) and melted it down into blocks I rub on the threads and ways. Slicks it up well and cost nothing.

I do not see a reason that a BT3100 should fail from typical homeowner use. The universal motor will not last as many hours, perhaps, as an induction motor but it should still last a long time. Nearly all hand-held power tools use universal motors. The better ones last decades for me. I'm hoping for the same from the BT3100.

Jim

Comment

• Sawatzky
      Established Member
      • Apr 2005
      • CA
      • Ridgid TS3650

With reasonable care I think it would take a LONG TIME for the average home owner to wear out a BT saw. I had mine for 3 years and built some BIG pieces with it. I did sell it to a friend recently because I was ready to upgrade to cast iron. I did not sell the saw because it was starting to wear out, I just wanted something bigger. I am sure the new owner will get many many years of service out of it. Remember, it is not a cheap bench top saw. Those won't last long. The BT was built and designed to be the best homeowner table saw for the price. I think most of us around here have proven that to be very true.

Comment

• mnmphd
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by tjh817
        Funny you should ask. Mine is 6 or 7 years old and just failed on me this morning. I am just finishing up the biggest job of my life - full set of kitchen cabinets and the blade will no longer raise and lower. It looks like the threaded insert (or whatever is in there) in the motor carriage is stripped. I had just cleaned it up and lubed it a couple of weeks ago.

Anybody have any ideas? I truly love the saw for all it can do and the compact size.

I had a similar problem recently. For me (BT3100) it was cheaper to order
        a new motor bracket from M&D mower (about $20 if I recall). I know others
        have gone the Helicoil route, but I couldn't find the appropriate size coil,
        and insertion tool locally without paying significantly more than the replacement
        part.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by mnmphd
          I had a similar problem recently. For me (BT3100) it was cheaper to order
          a new motor bracket from M&D mower (about $20 if I recall). I know others
          have gone the Helicoil route, but I couldn't find the appropriate size coil,
          and insertion tool locally without paying significantly more than the replacement
          part.
          The helicoil advantage is that you will have a steel raising screw operating in a stainless steel threaded insert raising the blade assy. with the replacementbracket you have the original aluminum threaded bracket riding on the steel raising screw. Still that should last a long time if kep properly lubed.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• shoottx
            Veteran Member
            • May 2008
            • Plano, Texas
            • BT3000

I have had my BT3000, well it has a manufacture date of 91, and I have had it since they were first available 92 maybe. It has of and on had a lot of use and then stretchs of sitting dormant. Lived in 4 states and only one problem now fixed.

My favorite lude is corrosionx. Was origanaly made as a rust inhibitor for airplanes, aluminum and steel. I use it on almost everything now.
            Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• shoottx
              Veteran Member
              • May 2008
              • Plano, Texas
              • BT3000

Originally posted by tjh817
              Funny you should ask. Mine is 6 or 7 years old and just failed on me this morning. I am just finishing up the biggest job of my life - full set of kitchen cabinets and the blade will no longer raise and lower. It looks like the threaded insert (or whatever is in there) in the motor carriage is stripped. I had just cleaned it up and lubed it a couple of weeks ago.

Anybody have any ideas? I truly love the saw for all it can do and the compact size.
              If you have the time, take the saw apart, look at the articles on changing the shims and it will help you understand how the saw comes apart. If you can identify the problem with the saw apart then the chances of identifying a fix are greatly improved. After taking it apart, post a couple of pictures of the problem. There is a raft of great help here.

The problem I had was one of the set screws worked loose and ate int a shim and the central housing. A little JB Weld and some time it is working well.
              Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

With all of the parts available due to the sheer numbers of BT's around, there's really no "cause of death". It's quite possible (and usually feasible) to replace or repair all of the sub-assemblies if something fails.
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...