• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jself
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2005
    • North Carolina.

What a difference....

a new blade makes. Or more correctly..."What a difference the correct blade makes". I was using my BT3000 to rip up some pieces of 2x8 and 3/4 plywood for a project and I was surprised at how much the motor had to work to rip up the material.

This is the 15 amp 2000 model BT3000 that underwent the upgrade to the BT3100 shim package. I was using a 60T Freud blade as it was the only blade that I did not have mounted in one of my other table saws. I had to run to Lowes on an errand from the LOML when I saw the Delta TS blades on sale ($42 marked down to $30). I picked up a Delta 40T combo blade and installed it in the BT3000. The difference was tremendous. The BT3K chewed up 2x8 and 3/4 plywood like butter. The BT3K with that new 40T blade was very impressive. The cuts were smooth and clean. I bet I could have glued up those ripped pieces without running them through the jointer.

It was also remarkable how little saw dust is generated when using the BT3K. I attached my Rigid ShopVac to the outlet port on the TS and the dust in the air is minimal. A small amount of material accumulates on top of the table, but it is nothing compared to the dust my Rigid TS2424 puts out. This is definitely an advantage for someone whose shop is in the basement (like mine) or the garage.

Those of you who have owned a BT3K for a while are probably not surprised, but I was certainly impressed. I have just gotten my BT3K operational and I am using it for the first time. I am having fun making saw dust. I guess that moral of this story is to choose the correct blade for ripping and save those 60T blade for cross cutting!!!
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Next time you are going to be ripping 2x's try stepping down to a 24 tooth Freud Diablo. Even better for ripping that the combo blade but you will need to change it before going to plywoods.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Pappy
      Next time you are going to be ripping 2x's try stepping down to a 24 tooth Freud Diablo. Even better for ripping that the combo blade but you will need to change it before going to plywoods.

yeah, just imagine a dedicated ripping blade used when ripping instead of that 40T!
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

One extremely important thing many people overlook (I often forget) is cleaning the blade. Just a few minutes with mineral spirits changed my cutting from working hard and burning to clean smooth easy cutting.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

As Pappy stated... 24 T for ripping. A 60 T is a cross-cut blade. A 40T is a compromise between and better than 60 for ripping, but not as adequate as a 24 T with the deeper gullets to carry away waste.

If you don't like changing blades.. probably the 40 T would be the best combo IMO. I personally leave all compromising upstairs where the First Lady reigns supreme. I couldn't resist that one.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

And what you discovered about the BT is soooo overlooked and dismissed by the cast iron crowd. I have had a couple of cast irons and they did a great job, but the 3000/3100 does every bit as well and in many cases even better (smoother/accurate) cuts with less hassle, but just not as fast as a 5+ hp 220 will.
            Last edited by leehljp; 01-01-2008, 06:46 PM.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• jself
              Forum Newbie
              • Sep 2005
              • North Carolina.

I had a 24T rip blade installed in my Rigid TS, but I was too lazy to take it out and install in on the BT3K. I was ripping down a few pieces for a bench top that I finished today. I wanted to use the BT3K as I just got it totally assembled and calibrated. It is a fun saw to use!!! I do have a few blades that could use a good mineral spirits bath. Thanks for the reminder!!!

I now have a hard decision to make regarding my table saws. I have too many of them and too little room. More info to follow in a different post.

Comment

Working...