• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Bayfield Co., WI

Saw stand top question

Finally, my mobile stand is finished and I was about to unbolt the 21829 from its cart and put it on.

But I've got one last question. I made the top so it just sets into the frame without fasteners (was it Rod's old mobile BT cabinet that had the removable piece of MDF?)...supported by triangular brackets at the corners and cleats on the sides.

I suddenly wondered if there is a downside to not putting the saw on an open-type frame so the innards can be reached without unbolting it. It's clear from the picture I don't have dust collection yet, though I do have the accessory kit's dust bag (still pristine and in the box).

On open stands it's easy to vacuum out the inside occasionally and do whatever else needs to be done in there.

So I guess my question is whether I'll be ok bolting it onto the top as it is, or whether it's better to cut an opening, or forget the solid top and make more framework.

The photo is pretty funky because of the limits of night-time and a glassed in porch, but it's good enough to show the top, which is 3/4" oak plywood.

As always, thanks for everybody's help.
    Attached Files
  • lrogers
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Mobile, AL. USA.
    • BT3000

Even with good dust collection, some stuff will end up trapped between the saw and top of the stand. You'll be amazed at fast it builds up too! The soild top will make it much harder to keep things clean. As for the dust bag, don't bother with it. Much better to hook a shop vac to the shroud outlet.
    Larry R. Rogers
    The Samurai Wood Butcher
    http://splash54.multiply.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• wardprobst
      • Jan 2006
      • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
      • Craftsman 22811

Gwyneth,

A lot of the guys attach the saw to a piece of MDF with an access hole for maintenance then hinge the MDF to the base. Check out www.raygirling.com for a great tutorial or the articles from the old forum.
      DP
      www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Garasaki
        • Sep 2006

I'd just put it on the stand you've made.

Sawdust will pile up inside the saw on the top of your stand. Aint no big deal though...better up there then on your shop floor right?? Just clean it out occasionally.

There really shouldn't be any occasions where you need to reach up inside your saw from the bottom to do anything. And when you need to access the inside of the saw, for maintenaince or whatever (ie dropping the stinking guard/riving knife bolts down inside there) it only takes removal of 6 screws to get one of the sides off.

ps - get yourself DC asap...even if it's just a old shop vac. Makes WWing a lot more enjoyable!!
        -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
        -Henry Blake

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

you're going to get a LOT of sawdust inside that saw. I don't think its a good idea. I put a plywood board under mine, but I put a 4" dust port in the middle of that to collect sawdust.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gwyneth
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            you're going to get a LOT of sawdust inside that saw. I don't think its a good idea. I put a plywood board under mine, but I put a 4" dust port in the middle of that to collect sawdust.
            Yeah, I made a new stand top and took out the nice one. New one has 16" square opening.

Garasaki, the shop vac was already in place, but to use a different circuit it needs a long extension cord (now easier to scoot around).

Real dust collection should come by the end of the year.

Comment

Working...